Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    beans0ntoastbeans0ntoast Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _m wrote: »
    Have you tried the app '4G LTE Switch'? Its LTE/WCDMA mode works on my Moto E and it says that it supports 'most' Samsung phones.

Just had a look and it says it is not supported on my S4. I tried downloading the apk directly off Google and as soon as I opened, it said that the device was incompatible. So had to uninstall.

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    1. Put S4 in a blender.
    2. Hold top of blender tight.
    3. Switch blender on.
    4. Blend that worthless piece of crap for about a minute.
    5. Turn out onto a baking tray with some tin foil on it and leave to cool then dispose of.
    6. Don't breathe lithium battery smoke unless you want to die.

Problem will now have gone away.
    :)
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting as near me some of the old orange 2g sites are being upgraded. I assumed that they were going to include 3 to improve the coverage issues they have in the area as well.

However,

Looking at the plans its very much EE 2G (upgrade) and EE 4g install on 800. The plans show the feed for the mid range 3G mast being installed but left unconnected. Then further down it does state EE LTE upgrade. So these are some more masts that are going EE 2/4g. Im not moaning though as yes it would be nice to have the option of all networks, however just having the choice of EE offering a decent service will be a major improvement.

Finally some of these orange masts are seeing some signs of upgrades.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Interesting as near me some of the old orange 2g sites are being upgraded. I assumed that they were going to include 3 to improve the coverage issues they have in the area as well.

However,

Looking at the plans its very much EE 2G (upgrade) and EE 4g install on 800. The plans show the feed for the mid range 3G mast being installed but left unconnected. Then further down it does state EE LTE upgrade. So these are some more masts that are going EE 2/4g. Im not moaning though as yes it would be nice to have the option of all networks, however just having the choice of EE offering a decent service will be a major improvement.

Finally some of these orange masts are seeing some signs of upgrades.

Yep, big push I feel now to get the job done. Most of the ones here have had 3G added later. One took about 2 months I think. I think there are some going just 2G/4G now though.
    First signs of 3G's time coming to an end...
    Yeaheeee!!!!
  • Options
    MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So. Got my new G5 setup, ish. Couple of questions, how do I switch 4G calling on? Got WiFi calling working at the minute. Also, what network info app do you guys use?

Cheers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yep, big push I feel now to get the job done. Most of the ones here have had 3G added later. One took about 2 months I think. I think there are some going just 2G/4G now though.
    First signs of 3G's time coming to an end...
    Yeaheeee!!!!

Oh no!!!!

And anyway, VoLTE hasn't been released on all sites yet, so what's going to take the calls, at a half decent quality?

Furthermore, getting VoLTE outside of specific carrier locked devices and iPhones is quite difficult at the moment, anyway....

Maybe in a few years time, 2G/4G will be fine, due to VoLTE, device support, and the fact that the only devices ever needing 2G will be either non-Volte devices (which will be very few) or non 4G devices (again, very few). But not now... people expect both 3G and 4G to be available!

Or it might be that Three either haven't been offered said mast, or haven't been bothered to invest in it. If it's the former... then EE is being greedy and I can see why Three opened that lawsuit a few days ago. If it's the latter, then Three need to invest more!

Also, I know that 3G gets installed either before or after the installation of 4G, but do both parties have to be interested in 3G, for a mast to get 3G, or does just one networks' interest mean that both networks get 3G? Please help me with this bit...
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Minardi wrote: »
    So. Got my new G5 setup, ish. Couple of questions, how do I switch 4G calling on?

The only way would be by trading the phone in for a supported phone :p
    To use 4G Calling, make sure all of the following apply to you:

you have one of these phones:

Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus or SE

Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL

Blackberry Priv - bought directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/4g-calling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    The only way would be by trading the phone in for a supported phone :p

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/4g-calling

Dang, I should have read further!

http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2016/02/21/ee-to-offer-lg-g5-with-wifi-and-4g-calling-on-the-uks-biggest-an

"later this year"

I can just hope it comes eventually then :D . I wouldn't have had any of the currently supported phones anyway, so it's rather a moot point.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Minardi wrote: »
    Dang, I should have read further!

http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2016/02/21/ee-to-offer-lg-g5-with-wifi-and-4g-calling-on-the-uks-biggest-an

"later this year"

I can just hope it comes eventually then :D . I wouldn't have had any of the currently supported phones anyway, so it's rather a moot point.

It should happen at some stage, but notice the only Android currently supported still says "bought directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team". Does that sound like yours?
  • Options
    barker71barker71 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no!!!!

And anyway, VoLTE hasn't been released on all sites yet, so what's going to take the calls, at a half decent quality?

Furthermore, getting VoLTE outside of specific carrier locked devices and iPhones is quite difficult at the moment, anyway....

Maybe in a few years time, 2G/4G will be fine, due to VoLTE, device support, and the fact that the only devices ever needing 2G will be either non-Volte devices (which will be very few) or non 4G devices (again, very few). But not now... people expect both 3G and 4G to be available!

Or it might be that Three either haven't been offered said mast, or haven't been bothered to invest in it. If it's the former... then EE is being greedy and I can see why Three opened that lawsuit a few days ago. If it's the latter, then Three need to invest more!

Also, I know that 3G gets installed either before or after the installation of 4G, but do both parties have to be interested in 3G, for a mast to get 3G, or does just one networks' interest mean that both networks get 3G? Please help me with this bit...

Seriously, 3g is no longer of real interest to EE please stop banging on about it. Its clear from the postings here and the emphasis that they are placing on the 4g upgrades that this is the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    It should happen at some stage, but notice the only Android currently supported still says "bought directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team". Does that sound like yours?

Yes, got the upgrade direct from them as I was made aware of this by this thread!
  • Options
    philt74philt74 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    barker71 wrote: »
    Seriously, 3g is no longer of real interest to EE please stop banging on about it. Its clear from the postings here and the emphasis that they are placing on the 4g upgrades that this is the future.

Indeed, please stop going on about 3G. It's cluttering the thread and is really of no use to anyone.
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philt74 wrote: »
    Indeed, please stop going on about 3G. It's cluttering the thread and is really of no use to anyone.

Thirded.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philt74 wrote: »

And please just buy a VoLTE phone so it won't be of any consequence to you anyway. Your S4 is ancient now, and it will be a relic when the network operators actually think about turning off 3G
  • Options
    Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    And please just buy a VoLTE phone so it won't be of any consequence to you anyway. Your S4 is ancient now, and it will be a relic when the network operators actually think about turning off 3G

Can I ask a genuine question regarding 3G please don't pull your hair out :D. I have an iPhone 6s Plus so I'm more than happy with 4G calling etc.... Why are Vodafonica investing so heavily in 3G if it's a done technology? Is it simply because 1) Their 3G coverage was pants and or 2) Just using 4G800 doesn't provide them with enough capacity? So they can offload you to 3G or 3) Too many of their uses remain potential 3G user for a very long time to come? As someone said if a Europe wide switch of 3G is wanted by 2020. Isn't it money wasted?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Installing 3G where there isn't any, is not a bad move in 2016 - there are probably a lot of users of non 4G handsets out there. The networks will know how many of their customers have 4G capable (and then VoLTE capable) and will keep 3G around until this number is tiny. Given a lot of the legacy Vodafone & O2 networks were 2G only - adding 3G is sensible when adding LTE.

Also the 900mhz frequency isn't a defined one for LTE, unlike 2100mhz which many phones already support for LTE (Band 1).
  • Options
    blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skippy2005 wrote: »
    Can I ask a genuine question regarding 3G please don't pull your hair out :D. I have an iPhone 6s Plus so I'm more than happy with 4G calling etc.... Why are Vodafonica investing so heavily in 3G if it's a done technology? Is it simply because 1) Their 3G coverage was pants and or 2) Just using 4G800 doesn't provide them with enough capacity? So they can offload you to 3G or 3) Too many of their uses remain potential 3G user for a very long time to come? As someone said if a Europe wide switch of 3G is wanted by 2020. Isn't it money wasted?

I didn't think they were investing heavily in 3g specifically; I thought a lot of the investment was going into technology-agnostic work. Namely running fibre to as many masts as possible, adding new masts, replacing antennae with multi-frequency ones.

Sure, right now when they visit masts they're usually upgrading to 900Mhz 2G and 3G, plus 800Mhz 4G, but by running fibre and upgrading the transmitters, it shouldn't then be so much extra work to light up 1800Mhz/2600Mhz (Voda only for the 2.6) 4G when necessary.

If we saw them rolling out heaps of 2100Mhz 3G then I'd see your point, but they seem to be leaving that alone somewhat. I do wonder whether they've got designs for running LTE on band 1 (2100Mhz); to me that would make sense. 900 for 2G and 3G, then 800/1800/2100/2600 for 4G. Vast majority of the spectrum for 4G, with the legacy technologies also covered. As time wears on they could also deploy 900Mhz 4G, as usage of 2G/3G drops off.

Just my humble opinion - however, hopefully my theory has some credibility.

EDIT: D'Oh, thought I was in the Voda/O2 thread. However, the same theories do apply (if you just ignore... everything I said about 900Mhz. Drat.)
  • Options
    Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueacid wrote: »
    I didn't think they were investing heavily in 3g specifically; I thought a lot of the investment was going into technology-agnostic work. Namely running fibre to as many masts as possible, adding new masts, replacing antennae with multi-frequency ones.

Sure, right now when they visit masts they're usually upgrading to 900Mhz 2G and 3G, plus 800Mhz 4G, but by running fibre and upgrading the transmitters, it shouldn't then be so much extra work to light up 1800Mhz/2600Mhz (Voda only for the 2.6) 4G when necessary.

If we saw them rolling out heaps of 2100Mhz 3G then I'd see your point, but they seem to be leaving that alone somewhat. I do wonder whether they've got designs for running LTE on band 1 (2100Mhz); to me that would make sense. 900 for 2G and 3G, then 800/1800/2100/2600 for 4G. Vast majority of the spectrum for 4G, with the legacy technologies also covered. As time wears on they could also deploy 900Mhz 4G, as usage of 2G/3G drops off.

Just my humble opinion - however, hopefully my theory has some credibility.

EDIT: D'Oh, thought I was in the Voda/O2 thread. However, the same theories do apply (if you just ignore... everything I said about 900Mhz. Drat.)

Yes your point makes perfect sense, thanks I was kind of hoping you would say that.

I was just a thought that had occurred to me, when reading the above posts regarding EE 3G expansion

Cheers
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few of these 2G only Orange telegraph pole style sites in the area:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6733145,-0.6598578,3a,63.9y,259.82h,99.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSoOA3kHyg2Yr2RadyZVctQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Are there any examples of these types of sites getting 4G upgrades yet in rural areas? If so do they stay as telegraph poles or replaced by more modern monopoles?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozz wrote: »
    Quite a few of these 2G only Orange telegraph pole style sites in the area:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6733145,-0.6598578,3a,63.9y,259.82h,99.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSoOA3kHyg2Yr2RadyZVctQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Are there any examples of these types of sites getting 4G upgrades yet in rural areas? If so do they stay as telegraph poles or replaced by more modern monopoles?

I know that there is 2 of those near me, in my area, and they both seem to have been decommissioned (I set my phone to 2G only, to test them, and they did not appear). Wonder if EE will reenable either of them as one of them would give fill in coverage for the village of Chelveston quite nicely, and the other one would probably give better 3G/4G to Elton, Cambs (if upgraded, obviously, as this was 2G only).

Elton mast: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5225237,-0.3906612,3a,75y,196.41h,96.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sh5E5rq1vrNzQ1vN422K7Ug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Chelveston mast: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3109176,-0.5625153,3a,83.2y,243.66h,97.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjALH8pIRkx1k0vzhsWU9eA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Coverage in Chelveston isn't brilliant, due to the terrain (Chelveston is in a dip) and the fact that the nearest mast is the main Higham Ferrers mast, now that said Orange telegraph pole is decommissioned.

Elton is covered by a tall MBNL 2G/3G mast (on the main A605 road), however, 3G is poor in that village - possibly due to trees or antenna placement on the mast. The current MBNL mast is also micro fed, which isn't good because it barely got 2Mbps the last time I tested it. Upgrading the Orange Telegraph pole may well improve things in Elton itself, but the MBNL mast also needs upgrading to better backhaul and 4G.
  • Options
    David_bl1David_bl1 Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Re: legacy Orange sites, my understanding is that if the mast is still active now then at some point in the future it will be upgraded to 4G and folded into PLMN 23430. If it's been switched off then it's going to be left to rot. Of course there will be a few exceptions here and there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_bl1 wrote: »
    Re: legacy Orange sites, my understanding is that if the mast is still active now then at some point in the future it will be upgraded to 4G and folded into PLMN 23430. If it's been switched off then it's going to be left to rot. Of course there will be a few exceptions here and there.

That's what I know as well; any Orange sites that are still switched on will be eventually brought into the 23430 code for EE, and 23433 will be phased out.

What I was wondering, was if there were any plans to switch on any decommissioned masts in areas that coverage isn't great (and said Orange masts would fill in a coverage gap).
  • Options
    sneekssneeks Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently joined EE from Three and the only issue I have is if I'm on a call using 3G and it then drops to a 2G signal then I cannot access data until I end the call allowing the phone to reconnect to 3G or 4G. It doesn't look like 4G voice has been enabled in the Livingston area.

When I first joined EE I had to disable 4G for voice and data as it cut off data access as soon as I made any calls regardless if it had simply dropped to 3G. This now seems to work and when I initialise a call my signal switches from 4G to 3G but data remains active during the call. I've just received carrier settings 24.1 so maybe that fixed it.
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that there is 2 of those near me, in my area, and they both seem to have been decommissioned (I set my phone to 2G only, to test them, and they did not appear). Wonder if EE will reenable either of them as one of them would give fill in coverage for the village of Chelveston quite nicely, and the other one would probably give better 3G/4G to Elton, Cambs (if upgraded, obviously, as this was 2G only).

Elton mast: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5225237,-0.3906612,3a,75y,196.41h,96.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sh5E5rq1vrNzQ1vN422K7Ug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Chelveston mast: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3109176,-0.5625153,3a,83.2y,243.66h,97.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjALH8pIRkx1k0vzhsWU9eA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Coverage in Chelveston isn't brilliant, due to the terrain (Chelveston is in a dip) and the fact that the nearest mast is the main Higham Ferrers mast, now that said Orange telegraph pole is decommissioned.

Elton is covered by a tall MBNL 2G/3G mast (on the main A605 road), however, 3G is poor in that village - possibly due to trees or antenna placement on the mast. The current MBNL mast is also micro fed, which isn't good because it barely got 2Mbps the last time I tested it. Upgrading the Orange Telegraph pole may well improve things in Elton itself, but the MBNL mast also needs upgrading to better backhaul and 4G.

Yes, the Elton one has been off for sometime.

Maybe this will be recommissioned with a modern monopole providing 2G/4G, perhaps the existing telegraph pole sites are not suitable for upgrading?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    What I was wondering, was if there were any plans to switch on any decommissioned masts in areas that coverage isn't great (and said Orange masts would fill in a coverage gap).

I suspect that would be confidential information - but its possible another mast nearby needs to be upgraded (new transmitters, new antenna panels) and that could cover the hole - if not then they could reactivate. I suspect its very unlikely.