Options

The Rihanna Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone check out Rihanna's Oprah interview? I just watched it and I really liked it. It was so nice to see her behind closed doors and get honest answers about various aspects of her life. I loved seeing where she grew up too and Barbados is such a pretty place, whoa!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    That was a really emotional interview, Rihanna is so real.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    So excited for Rihanna's VMA's performance and so glad it's finally confirmed!! :D I'm hoping for a major mash-up of 'WFL' (because I think this song deserves a VMA's performance as the pop anthem it is!), 'WHYB and the new single, whatever that is. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same! Can't wait to see her kickass! Hoping for a medley with an insane Where Have You Been explosive finale!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope she premires the new single. It would be irrational if she didn't! Now that I'm thinking about it, 'Roc Me Out' seems to be a better song for such major performances. I don't know how it's going to do on radio, given that it sounds similar to many of her previous hits, but it'll definitely do better than 'Cockiness', which won't get many spins on pop radio. Have we ruled 'Watch n' Learn' out? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Watch n' Learn has sadly been taken off the score cards.

I've seen a lot of circulation on other forums for Cockiness/Roc Me Out. For airplay support RMO would do better as Cockiness would probs be censored to kingdom come!

I'd love We All Want Love or Drunk On Love too though. Both are such pretty songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'DOL' would slay those radio playlists in a heartbeat!

I'm trying to be optimistic, but I think she's going down the wrong path with 'Cockiness' vs. 'RMO'. Especially after her Oprah interview and how well received that was, releasing another provocative fun sexual song is a strange choice. A ballad would be so much more appropriate to close out the era. I still have my fingers crossed that somebody will prevent her from releasing the 2 singles she unveiled the covers for. 'DOL' or 'WAL' would be much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOL would be a surefire smash! That XX sample was absolute genius on Stargate's part (I personally think it's one of the best productions they've done for Rihanna so far!)

I loved seeing Robyn in her Oprah interview, it was so nice to see the fun, neutral girl again. After that interview I too feel DOL vs WAL would be more appropriate too. We haven't really had a softer song this era yet either so would be welcome, I think either track would be really appropriate to close out this era. We could end the era with nice warmth with WAL or close it out with dark mysterious DOL. Fun choice to make!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The official HQ audio of 'Cockiness' has been uploaded on Rih's VEVO! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwkF780FqE&feature=player_embedded#!

So that means it really is a single! I remember that she never posted the 'BC' remix on her VEVO channel, so 'Cockiness' is already more well promoted :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    The official HQ audio of 'Cockiness' has been uploaded on Rih's VEVO! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwkF780FqE&feature=player_embedded#!

So that means it really is a single! I remember that she never posted the 'BC' remix on her VEVO channel, so 'Cockiness' is already more well promoted :cool:

Yeah, her label definitely did not approve of BC. I'm amazed it got to #24 on the Hot 100!

Can't wait for Rihanna's performance tomorrow night. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The tour has been announced!! 2013 'Diamonds' world tour!! :D
    LOS ANGELES, Sept. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today it was officially announced by Live Nation, the tour's international promoter that the RIHANNA DIAMONDS WORLD TOUR begins March 8th 2013 in Buffalo, New York. The tour is scheduled to stop in more than 27 cities across North America with additional dates to be announced. North American on-sales begin Friday, September 14th at LiveNation.com.
    The Rihanna Diamonds North American leg includes performances at arenas in Los Angeles, Toronto, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, and more. A complete itinerary follows this release.

Rihanna's previous tour, the extremely successful "LOUD" Tour solidified Rihanna's status as one of the top female solo artists of this century. The LOUD tour grossed 90 million worldwide to become the 7th highest grossing tour of 2011 and included a historic 10 Sold Out concerts at London's O2 Arena – a first by a female solo artist.

The announcement of Rihanna's Diamonds World Tour follows an epic headlining performance at last night's MTV Video Music Awards.

As the recipient of a phenomenal 6 Grammy Awards, Rihanna has sold over 37 million albums and 146 million digital tracks worldwide, and currently holds the record for top-selling digital artist of all time. In 2012, Forbes crowned Rihanna as the #1 social networking superstar with more than 60 million fans on Facebook and 25 million followers on Twitter in addition to owning over 2.7 billion views on YouTube/VEVO – the most for any female artist. Rihanna's impressive catalogue of hits includes 11 #1 singles, including "We Found Love" which spent 10 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, 18 #1 singles on the Billboard Dance Club Song Charts, and 22 top 10 singles.

Citi® is the official credit card of the US leg of Rihanna's upcoming world tour. Citi® cardmembers will have access to presale tickets beginning Monday, Sept. 10th at 10am through Citi's Private Pass® Program. For complete presale details visit www.citiprivatepass.com.

First announcement of dates here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rihann...ce=twitterfeed
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh great. She did say 2013 would be her going back to touring. I must see her this time. Her live performances are getting better and better.

The Diamonds tour? Hmm, interesting. Could this be a theme for album 7 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Diamonds just a tour Rihanna wants to do to promote Talk that Talk or is it a glittery glamorous concept for the next album and supporting that? Hmm, interesting!!

I will make an effort to get tickets this time as I feel Rihanna's performances are worthy of going to see her live now. After seeing what I've seen from the LOUD tour on Youtube it looks like shes worth the money now, she's really developed!

What on Earth happened to the LOUD Tour DVD? Is that a Christmas release or not happening? I was excited for that :(

I know it's got a lot of mixed reception but I thought her VMA performance was pretty good. Far far far from her best but for what it was, it was good. I'm really warming to that Cockiness remix too. I think the performance would have been up a level or two more if she joined the dancers and did the huge We Found Love dance breakdown instead of just clambering around outside Calvin's fancy booth. Really think Where Have You Been should have been slotted in too but next time. Maybe at the AMA's if she gets to perform there!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Ahh...It's already been posted.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are UK dates at some point. Thought I'd let you all know but someone beat me to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the tour is named after "Yellow diamonds in the light". I think it will be her biggest tour after the success of 2 singles and the Loud album. She has improved live a lot.

She isn't releasing another album this year because we would have heard something by now. We Found Love was premiered in September, as was Only Girl. She seems to be releasing a few more singles from this album anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been away to long! I still think she should release a greatest hits and dvd/blu ray. Also anyone know if The Loud Tour is being released?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing UK will follow the US like last time :D I am definitely gonna go again. I've only seen her once live (Loud tour) and she put on an amazing show so I will be there. In interviews about the new tour I remember her saying how it's gonna be a completely new show etc. A few people complained that the Last Girl On Earth tour/Loud tour were too similar in terms of set pieces/staging so it looks like it's gonna be a completely new show this time round. :)

I'm thinking she'll launch the new album either before the tour starts or right after the US leg when she should take a few weeks off from touring to promote the album instead. TTT had virtually no promo in it's release week because of touring so they need to get it right this time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shn321 wrote: »
    I'm guessing UK will follow the US like last time :D I am definitely gonna go again. I've only seen her once live (Loud tour) and she put on an amazing show so I will be there. In interviews about the new tour I remember her saying how it's gonna be a completely new show etc. A few people complained that the Last Girl On Earth tour/Loud tour were too similar in terms of set pieces/staging so it looks like it's gonna be a completely new show this time round. :)

I'm thinking she'll launch the new album either before the tour starts or right after the US leg when she should take a few weeks off from touring to promote the album instead. TTT had virtually no promo in it's release week because of touring so they need to get it right this time.

Yes i think your right and agree TTT hardly no promo so im hoping they get it right next time aswell :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diamonds....is that from the lyric "Yellow diamonds in the night..>" in WFL? or will it be for album 7 (krikey 7!!!)

Either way seems like that will be a massive focus for her in 2013! And with her time out this year a bit more than usual i think she will channel her energy into this tour, she has been very neutral in look in recent days, and her new pixie cut also is interesting, like she has taken it all back to a very neutral state...hhhmmmmm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diamonds....is that from the lyric "Yellow diamonds in the night..>" in WFL? or will it be for album 7 (krikey 7!!!)

Either way seems like that will be a massive focus for her in 2013! And with her time out this year a bit more than usual i think she will channel her energy into this tour, she has been very neutral in look in recent days, and her new pixie cut also is interesting, like she has taken it all back to a very neutral state...hhhmmmmm.

Yeah with Talk that Talk era we've seen a very neutral Rihanna. But I'm certain that's what Rihanna said the era was all about, as a contrast to Loud with all the glamour and sexual outfits this was more casual with some sexy elements.

I think Diamonds is referring to Yellow Diamonds in the Light. Perhaps it's a hint at the new album's concept...Diamonds...glamourous concept again...return to looking really glam instead of casual/neutral? Probably just referring to WFL.

I'm liking the suggestions for Rihanna to take a month down from the US leg to promo a new album's lead single but I think overall I'd rather she just let loose and get that energy she's been conserving this year into a full on tour - take the whole year and embrace the world tour and just that tour, I don't want to see her drained doing the tour and a new era again, wait till the end of the tour, come back with a new album November/December next year. Of course it's Rihanna so she probably won't wait that long ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    Yeah with Talk that Talk era we've seen a very neutral Rihanna. But I'm certain that's what Rihanna said the era was all about, as a contrast to Loud with all the glamour and sexual outfits this was more casual with some sexy elements.

I think Diamonds is referring to Yellow Diamonds in the Light. Perhaps it's a hint at the new album's concept...Diamonds...glamourous concept again...return to looking really glam instead of casual/neutral? Probably just referring to WFL.

I'm liking the suggestions for Rihanna to take a month down from the US leg to promo a new album's lead single but I think overall I'd rather she just let loose and get that energy she's been conserving this year into a full on tour - take the whole year and embrace the world tour and just that tour, I don't want to see her drained doing the tour and a new era again, wait till the end of the tour, come back with a new album November/December next year. Of course it's Rihanna so she probably won't wait that long ;)
    I like neutral Rihanna, but she changed 4 hairstyles during this era. :eek: She needs a more cohesive and consistent image imo.

Anyway, I totally agree with what you said about the tour. That was the current era's biggest drawback. She barely promoted 'WFL', she didn't promote 'YDO' and 'TTT' at all and when she made an effort to launch 'WHYB' and perform in a couple of festivals, the hype was already dead. I think the tour must finish before the album's release date.

That said, 'TTT' didn't only lose momentum because of the ongoing tour. The single choices and the timing were also a mess. 'YDO' was weak and the video was dull. 'TTT' had potential, but they didn't promote it or shoot a video for it. 'BC' was the only urban track off of the album that had the potential to slay and they didn't shoot a video either. 'WHYB' was released way too late and she didn't even perform it at the VMA's! And now 'W&L', 'DOL' and 'WAWL' remain just album tracks! They had better handle the next album better!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question: is the lyric "yellow diamonds in the light" a drug reference? I always thought it was about diamonds turning yellow in the light.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Question: is the lyric "yellow diamonds in the light" a drug reference? I always thought it was about diamonds turning yellow in the light.:o

Rap-genius says "Could be actual yellow diamonds, but based on the video it’s probably referring to a type of ecstasy pill." :D

There's been a lot of tweets suggesting we could be getting music soon. So many producers/writers have been tweeting saying they've been working on stuff for her recently and considering how fast TTT was recorded, I don't think it'll be too long a wait.

I'd also rather have her release the album after the world tour but it looks like we'll be getting it before the tour. Maybe around the time of the Grammys? (Feb)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shn321 wrote: »
    Rap-genius says "Could be actual yellow diamonds, but based on the video it’s probably referring to a type of ecstasy pill." :D

There's been a lot of tweets suggesting we could be getting music soon. So many producers/writers have been tweeting saying they've been working on stuff for her recently and considering how fast TTT was recorded, I don't think it'll be too long a wait.

I'd also rather have her release the album after the world tour but it looks like we'll be getting it before the tour. Maybe around the time of the Grammys? (Feb)
    She should book Superbowl then :D jk

I think she's taking her time with this album tbh. 'TTT' was recorded extremely fast because she got ALL the songs from a songwriting camp her label put together. So basically she didn't have to work with any producer or songwriter in person or even record many tracks only to reject them in the process. She sat down with the label executives, they listened to all the songs they got from the songwriting camp (about 100 I guess) and they picked about 20 of them, which she just added her vocals too. Then she went back home and let her executive producers mix and master the tracks. That's pretty much a 3-week process. That's why we got 'TTT' so unexpectedly ;)

This time, she's choosing the producers and doing actual sessions with them (RedOne, Swedish House Mafia, Chase & Status etc), so it's going to take MUCH more time to wrap up the album. Besides, I think they started recording it now because she wants to have the album done before she goes to tour, which makes perfect sense. She recorded part of 'TTT' in her tour bus, though! :eek: And that's another reason why she managed to bring the album out in November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    She should book Superbowl then :D jk

I think she's taking her time with this album tbh. 'TTT' was recorded extremely fast because she got ALL the songs from a songwriting camp her label put together. So basically she didn't have to work with any producer or songwriter in person or even record many tracks only to reject them in the process. She sat down with the label executives, they listened to all the songs they got from the songwriting camp (about 100 I guess) and they picked about 20 of them, which she just added her vocals too. Then she went back home and let her executive producers mix and master the tracks. That's pretty much a 3-week process. That's why we got 'TTT' so unexpectedly ;)

This time, she's choosing the producers and doing actual sessions with them (RedOne, Swedish House Mafia, Chase & Status etc), so it's going to take MUCH more time to wrap up the album. Besides, I think they started recording it now because she wants to have the album done before she goes to tour, which makes perfect sense. She recorded part of 'TTT' in her tour bus, though! :eek: And that's another reason why she managed to bring the album out in November.

A February release date wouldn't be too bad an idea as Rihanna can come do her regular slot at the BRITs again as well as the Grammy's and other big talk shows.

Rihanna seems to be working with a lot of British producers on this album, Burns (friend of Calvin Harris'), Labrinth, Chase & Status again too. I agree about her sitting down with producers and actually recording with them, hence why she appears to be living in London the past few months.

I wouldn't mind a lead single in November as there's loads of promotion opportunities to get it out there.