Google Nexus 5

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the device exists. It has been seen in a now removed YouTube video posted by Google. It has an LG logo on it as well. It looks like a smaller version of the Nexus 7 (2013).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4691652/did-google-just-leak-the-nexus-5-kitkat-video
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Hmmm.

According to the leaks it won't work with any UK LTE bands.
    Or maybe there are two versions of the phone?
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Hmmm.

According to the leaks it won't work with any UK LTE bands.
    Or maybe there are two versions of the phone?

Not necessarily. One of the tech sites noted that the FCC submissions never bother to detail bands that aren't used in the US, so it's possible that there will just be the one version globally.

Someone on the Verge forums made a mockup based on what appeared in that leaked video and the dimensions mentioned in the FCC documents. Looks pretty good.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    Not necessarily. One of the tech sites noted that the FCC submissions never bother to detail bands that aren't used in the US, so it's possible that there will just be the one version globally.

Someone on the Verge forums made a mockup based on what appeared in that leaked video and the dimensions mentioned in the FCC documents. Looks pretty good.

Thanks. I probably should have guessed that America=the world for the FCC.

Mockup looks great.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Nano sim is a pia but I can cope.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the Nexus 4 is almost perfect for me, so i probably won't be getting the Nexus 5 (at least not until Google do the same thing as they did with the Nexus 4 and reduce it just prior to the launch of the Nexus 6).

The only improvements i'd want are a non-glass back (which the N5 has), an improved camera with OIS (best ad ever), and for the screen to be properly calibrated (apparently the N4 screen blows away the iPhone's when flashed with a custom kernel with proper calibration).
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the Nexus 4 is almost perfect for me, so i probably won't be getting the Nexus 5 (at least not until Google do the same thing as they did with the Nexus 4 and reduce it just prior to the launch of the Nexus 6).

The only improvements i'd want are a non-glass back (which the N5 has), an improved camera with OIS (best ad ever), and for the screen to be properly calibrated (apparently the N4 screen blows away the iPhone's when flashed with a custom kernel with proper calibration).

Don't get me wrong, tweaking the screen does make a difference and I ran custom kernels and roms on my N4 for months but they don't improve it that much. At the end of the day the screen on the N4 is ok. No more and no less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ffs a 2300 mah battery and a crap camera. I don't know why I am suprised as EVERY Nexus has shit battery life and a shit camera. Still would not buy anything else.

The cult of Nexus.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Oh ffs a 2300 mah battery and a crap camera. I don't know why I am suprised as EVERY Nexus has shit battery life and a shit camera. Still would not buy anything else.

The cult of Nexus.

8MP doesn't make it a bad camera, 2300 mAh isn't the best (same as the HTC One), hopefully we'll see some better battery life at OS level.

I'm pretty happy with my Nexus 4 though, might give it another 12 months.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the Nexus 4 is almost perfect for me...The only improvements i'd want are a non-glass back (which the N5 has), an improved camera with OIS (best ad ever), and for the screen to be properly calibrated (apparently the N4 screen blows away the iPhone's when flashed with a custom kernel with proper calibration).
    Ditto - easily the best phone I've owned and the one I'm most attached to. Non-glass back would definitely be a bonus - I lasted all of six weeks before cracking the back on my first one. However my second one lives in a bumper so it can't slide or fall and hopefully won't crack if dropped.

I can't fault the size, quality of the screen, or speed of the phone so any improvements to those will not really be upgrades. The only thing that will justify an N5 upgrade for me are better battery life (potentially not if 2300mAh battery is confirmed) and better camera. Speaking of which...
    Oh ffs a 2300 mah battery and a crap camera. I don't know why I am suprised as EVERY Nexus has shit battery life and a shit camera.
    Based just on number of MP? I don't think we can really judge the camera until we see it in action and some sample shots...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does the back cover look horrible and cheap. Maybe the glorious Nexus 4 back is spoiling me.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least from the leaked images it doesn't look great. But have to wait and see what the finished product looks like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    ...Google seemingly sell the phone at or less than cost price and the networks don't, basically. The whole point of the Nexus 4's bargain price is to get people away from buying their phones on contracts which weigh heavily in the favour of the networks. Over a 24 month period the Nexus 4 16gb bought upfront from Google works out at £12/mth.... With the added bonus of not being held captive by one of the networks.
    That sounds good. 24 month contracts are really a rip off :(
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the back cover look horrible and cheap. Maybe the glorious Nexus 4 back is spoiling me.

The back of the N4 is it's worst feature makes the phone slide off every thing, so no complaints from me on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    The back of the N4 is it's worst feature makes the phone slide off every thing, so no complaints from me on that.

Do you have one of the earlier models? I have a later one with the added nipples and that is not so bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pi and Tony,
    My point about the camera was not related to the numberof megapixels but more the fact it will certainly be a different module to the G2 which has had good reviews.
    I own a Nexus One and a Nexus 4 and used to own a Galaxy Nexus. Every Nexus has had a disappointing camera. I hope the next Nexus breaks the trend but I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That has nothing to do with how it looks though, which is my complaint about the Nexus 5.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with how it looks though, which is my complaint about the Nexus 5.

Well have to agree to disagree on that. Perhaps I'm biased though as when I got the N4 it slid off a surface and smashed the front screen so now my N4 lives permanently in a gel case so I never get to see the back.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pi and Tony,
    My point about the camera was not related to the numberof megapixels but more the fact it will certainly be a different module to the G2 which has had good reviews.
    I own a Nexus One and a Nexus 4 and used to own a Galaxy Nexus. Every Nexus has had a disappointing camera. I hope the next Nexus breaks the trend but I doubt it.

I thought the Nexus One camera was very good at the time, when I had one. The Galaxy Nexus was a bit lacklustre, and the Nexus 4 is by no means terrible. It does the job, especially for the price.

I don't like the look of the next Nexus. I can't stress how much I dislike the sideways Nexus logo, I think it looks horrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well have to agree to disagree on that. Perhaps I'm biased though as when I got the N4 it slid off a surface and smashed the front screen so now my N4 lives permanently in a gel case so I never get to see the back.
    Yeah I'm in no doubt that it was prone to sliding unless you've grubbed it up with fingerprints, but that has nothing to do with how it looks.

It looks fantastic, the best back to any phone in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you complaining about the look of the next Nexus just wait until it is released and you have seen one in the flesh.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The cult of Nexus.

How do you know it's a crap camera without even testing it.

Just because it's a lower MP than some others that does not make it bad (in fact it can make it better in low light conditions if it had the same size CCD as there is less noise).

My old 3mp Canon camera I had a few years ago blows the quality of ANY camera on a phone however many MP's (a lot better than my S3 camera).

as long as it's 3mp minimum it all depends on the size of the CCD and the optics.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pi and Tony,

The G2 is being sold for more than 1.5x what the Nexus 5 will cost. They have to do something to differentiate the models and justify the price of the "original" phone.

Nexuses are all about the software rather than being good all-rounder phones.