Options

Scotland Decides - BBC Referendum Result Programme

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Newsnight this week about bias in the BBC's reporting of this event. But as they have received complaints from both sides, I think we know the answer :)
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsnight this week about bias in the BBC's reporting of this event. But as they have received complaints from both sides, I think we know the answer :)

Same as with the Thatcher thing.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    In the fact they haven't got the new powers already. I think some people were expecting they were going to get them overnight...

Really? That's ridiculous, the timescale Cameron has laid down is unrealistic to get everything through anyway. If anyone expected us to wake up to these new powers yesterday then they are being a bit daft.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. Pity the BBC was not able to determine that accuracy at 10pm/11pm. But at that time, therte was no way of knowing how accurate it was, especially as it showed a bigger No lead than any of the final polls on Wednesday.

I'm simply telling you the BBC reported it, hindsight has nothing to do with it. How would the BBC verify an opinion poll conducted by somebody else ? Of course there was no way of knowing its accuracy but it turned out to be almost exactly right and it was perfectly legitimate for the various pundits to discuss it.

I'm assuming that is aimed at me - in truth I have no issue with the reporting of it, even if it could have been reported on the main BBC programme. What I was questioning was one poster's sentiment that seemed to imply that because it closely reflected the result it should have formed a larger part of the discussion between 10pm and 1am on that main programme (hence my referenced to hindsight etc)

But never mind, these things seem to have a habit of being blown up out of all proportion on DS, to an extent where the original points made many p[osts previously get lost in the fog of "discussion"
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I'm assuming that is aimed at me - in truth I have no issue with the reporting of it, even if it could have been reported on the main BBC programme. What I was questioning was one poster's sentiment that seemed to imply that because it closely reflected the result it should have formed a larger part of the discussion between 10pm and 1am on that main programme (hence my referenced to hindsight etc)

But never mind, these things seem to have a habit of being blown up out of all proportion on DS, to an extent where the original points made many p[osts previously get lost in the fog of "discussion"

It was reported and discussed on both the Scotland and non-Scotland BBC programmes. Whether it was on the STV programme I couldn't tell because I didn't watch it. I agree that at 10 pm it would have been impossible to know the accuracy of the poll - in the end it turned out to be extremely accurate - but there was no reason not to discuss it.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone that would like to watch it again can so on BBC Parliament now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    In the fact they haven't got the new powers already. I think some people were expecting they were going to get them overnight...

According to the BBC News just now Miliband is advocating that nothing is done for eight months which seems to fly in the face of everything the Scots were told:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC News just now Miliband is advocating that nothing is done for eight months which seems to fly in the face of everything the Scots were told:o
    Perhaps you misheard or misconstrued the report.

What he is referring to is the Cameron proposal regarding English votes for English MPs, which Cameron seemed to tie in with the Gordon Brown Scottish plans. I believe that those Scottish plans and timetable (as signed in last weekend's three-party pledge) still stand.
    As he arrived, party leader Ed Miliband said: "The last few months have been about keeping our country together. The next eight months will be how we can change our country together."

Mr Miliband has said he will not sign up to restrictions on which MPs can vote on English laws and is calling instead for a constitutional convention to be set up after next May's general election to decide what should happen.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Benn attacked the prime minister, saying: "He conflated on the one hand a very solemn promise that all three parties made to the people of Scotland about further devolution of power... with making decisions about how we're going to change the way in which our democracy works."

He added: "You can't have two classes of MP. I mean this is something that [former prime minister William] Gladstone had to grapple with over a hundred years ago.

"And the thing we want to start with, actually, is devolving power down to the communities of England. And that's why our constitutional convention process is going to start with doing exactly that."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29292719
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone that would like to watch it again can so on BBC Parliament now :D

Picture Quality of this rerun is woeful.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was woeful when they were showing the Scottish coverage too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The iPlayer broadcast looks better quality.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Parliament has poor picture quality in general - it's not a channel that really requires a high bitrate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    BBC Parliament has poor picture quality in general - it's not a channel that really requires a high bitrate.

I don't just think it's that, it was even worse than normal- it looked to me like they'd just made an off-air recording and were playing it back. Possibly they'd been picking up the Scotland coverage off air (presumably via a Sky/Freesat box) too rather then recieving a direct feed of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps there were technical issues that prevented the use of a high-quality recording, and so they had to resort to a fall-back solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it was just easier- remember that BBC Parliament is run from the studios in Millbank that are owned by ITV, not the BBC themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the Scotland programme via BBC Parliament on Thursday night and the picture quality was fine.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    In other news, the Government took the furore of the Scottish referendum as a smoke screen to, silently, push through the "Gagging Law" in a classic bit of Westminster tip toeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    BBC Parliament has poor picture quality in general - it's not a channel that really requires a high bit-rate.

They could really do with a HD channel to try and get the people in politics to unfreeze the license fee, Doesn't need to be on free-view as that what the poor people have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could really do with a HD channel to try and get the people in politics to unfreeze the license fee,
    but first they would need to

a) Get agreement with the Parlaimentary authorities to install HD cameras & associated kit

b) Get ITV to upgrade ITV Millbank for HD production
    Doesn't need to be on free-view as that what the poor people have.
    Wow, what a condescending comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised Parliamentary TV was not in HD, it must be upscaled on BBC News and Sky News HD. I would have expected the Mother of Parliaments to be in the forefront of white-hot technology....
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have expected the Mother of Parliaments to be in the forefront of white-hot technology....

Why? They didn't get any TV coverage at all until 1989.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Why? They didn't get any TV coverage at all until 1989.

But not even in HD in 2014 ? I am sure the taxpayers would be happy to fork out several million quid to re-equip the whole system, why not go straight to Ultra HD ?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But not even in HD in 2014 ? I am sure the taxpayers would be happy to fork out several million quid to re-equip the whole system, why not go straight to Ultra HD ?

Do we really need to see every wrinkle of a politician ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Behind the scenes of the BBC referendum programme - thanks to BBC Ariel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29300776