Did Hitler have the right idea?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    That's the problem with an evil idealism like Nazism- it never stops. There is no middle ground. Once you've begun justifying anti-Semitism by the "keeping the race pure" argument there's no logical point at which one can draw a line. The box is opened; the genie's out of the bottle. And whoever you were mates with in the early stages have no choice other than to become your sworn enemy. That's what happens when logic and compassion are sacrificed in favour of hate.

Keeping the race 'pure', is certainly not confined to those dabbling in anti-semitism.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris chow wrote: »
    The same Jeremy Clarkson whose father-in-law won the VC in WW2 and who has made numerous programmes about British heroism against the Nazis?

Yes, that's him! Why? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linfran wrote: »
    Perhaps the man in the supermarket was vegetarian. Hitler was too.

Surely then you'd say "Linda McCartney had the right idea!"
  • Options
    donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    KingCanute wrote: »
    As bizarre as it may seem, when I was in the supermarket doing some shopping the other day, I heard a gentleman say this to his wife that "Hitler had the right idea". I'm not really sure what he meant by this, and thought that it seemed like a bit of a strange thing to say. Does anyone use this phrase, and if so, in what sort of context?

As you only heard half the conversation and have no idea what had ccurred previously, you have no idea what it meant, nor can we know.

It could have been a joke from earlier on in the day, that they were revisiting.

I can remember my grandfather saying something similar when we were kids and messing around making a racket. The implication was that we should all be exterminated! He obviously didn't mean it as he worshipped us but it was just a throwaway remark, that he used to let us know that we needed to settle down a little.

I don't know if you are trying to imply more than this in a negative sense that he was referring to immigrants or people of different races or religions. But if you are then I think you would be better off getting the facts before implying that someone could be racist etc on a public forum.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThinBoy wrote: »
    There are 2 myths being perpetrated in this thread - that Hitler was a vegetarian and that Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Hitler was occassionally prescribed a vegetarian diet by his physician as a cure for chronic flatulence, and the reform of the Italian railway system was put in place before Mussolini came to power.

I don't know much about Hitler's good ideas or whether he had any - the only ones I got to hear about were all the bad ones.

His physician had a sense of humour then, prescribing vegetables to get rid of flatulence.

SULLA wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone having the nerve to complain:o

They would probably be sent to the gas chamber ( personally filled by Hitler by the sounds of it ) :o
  • Options
    jammers1978jammers1978 Posts: 2,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    There are some positive things to have come from the Nazi regime, as although they were extremely inhumane and distasteful, the regime forwarded medical science quite rapidly.

The exposure survival suit, as worn by North Sea workers. The lifejacket. Cold weather gear. Alsorts of life-preserving equipment was pioneered and researched by the Nazis directly because of their lack of regard for human life.

They had no qualms about chucking a Jew into a tank of water that was 1 degree celsius and seeing how long it took him to drown or freeze. They'd then repeat the experiment with another Jew, only see how long material x kept them alive for.

In a way, it goes a small way to "paying for" the horrors of the regime, that we are able to take the information gathered so barbarically, and put it to good use.

Ironic that the Nazis would take the physiological similarities between themselves and Jews for granted, all the while proclaiming their differences.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Possibily, possibly not but Hitler and the Nazi regime were allied with Muslims and the Mufti (muslim leader) of Jerusalem actually sought German help to exterminte jews there but was refused even though he spent time in Berlin as a guest of Himmler. Another little know fact is that there were Muslim SS troops in the Balkans that hunted jews - so the nazi's weren't totally rascist.

"My enemy's enemy is my friend" - any alliances that the Nazi regime made with non-Aryan peoples were purely political.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironic that the Nazis would take the physiological similarities between themselves and Jews for granted, all the while proclaiming their differences.

They were pretty fixated on physical differences. Hitler once said, late in the war when Germany women were going to have to work in the factories, that the squat Russian woman was much better suited to this work, whereas the long-legged Aryan German woman wasn't! It's all a bit odd when you consider what Hitler looked like. He wasn't exactly a picture postcard either!
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PMSL

Sorry

I misread that as: Did Hitler have the right ikea?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping the race 'pure', is certainly not confined to those dabbling in anti-semitism.

Oh, of course not. I merely used that example as it was, well, the one we were talking about.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Oh... the guy was being racist... lot of it about you know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, Hitler did a great deal in terms of medical advancement. It's just a shame that he insisted on trying them out on Jewish people etc etc.

Maybe the bloke the OP heard didn't like polish people. Much like many other people around here. :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you only heard half the conversation and have no idea what had ccurred previously, you have no idea what it meant, nor can we know.

It could have been a joke from earlier on in the day, that they were revisiting.

I can remember my grandfather saying something similar when we were kids and messing around making a racket. The implication was that we should all be exterminated! He obviously didn't mean it as he worshipped us but it was just a throwaway remark, that he used to let us know that we needed to settle down a little.

I don't know if you are trying to imply more than this in a negative sense that he was referring to immigrants or people of different races or religions. But if you are then I think you would be better off getting the facts before implying that someone could be racist etc on a public forum.

Thanks for your enlightening anecdote about your Grandfather and the way that he used the phrase.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by the last paragraph, as it would make no difference if I were or were not "accusing" an anonymous man of racism. :confused:
  • Options
    grotbags1975grotbags1975 Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was cost effective with the jews, his initial plan was to relocate them to madagascar, but it emerged that it was far cheaper to actually incinerate them.

Obviuosly its attrocious he killed alot, but in his insane eyes he was saving some dm's
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh, of course not. I merely used that example as it was, well, the one we were talking about.

Hitler is used as a scapegoat for many atrocities, many of which are coined in jest, (grandad fought them in the war, etc), or used to rally a group to a flawed point of view that, when challenged, leads the opposer to criticism, or potential banishment.

Pleased to have given you food for thought,
    (closet nazism - hanging about in bunkers in the vain oneupmanship stakes, moustaches, and a hankering for designer label uniforms).