Sky+ Box won't turn on

bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello

Last night my sky+ was working fine then it turned itself off and i have not been able to get it on since!

I have tried turning it on via the box , remote etc... even switched it off at the wall for a good few hours NOTHING ... the red light still displays on the box but won't turn green.

Normally if the box does go off it goes to a blue sky screen however this time its just a load of fuzz like the sky is not connected to the TV ... but it is ... every wire is firmly in place and taken out and put back in.

hmm i think the box might have gone which is annoying .... had it a good few years though.:cry::confused:

Thanks

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually a sign of either
    Failed hard disk (most likely and easy to replace)
    or Failing power supply
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Interesting... at exactly 10pm last night my Sky+ box turned itself off too (while I was trying to watch something and had two recordings in progress). No amount of powering off/on would coax it to give me anything but a blue screen. I phoned Sky and got no better result, resulting in scheduling an engineer to come tomorrow.

On a punt I powered the box off overnight then switched it on this morning. Like a phoenix from the ashes it seems to all be working fine now - cancelled the engineer and back in business.

It's an unreliable piece of **** which could (and should) so easily be improved in so many ways if Sky could be bothered, which clearly they can't be. Unfortunately if you want the Sky channels you have no option but to put up with it's long list of faults and foibles, setting stuff up to record multiple times for one of the inevitable failures etc. Nice when it works, frustrating as hell when it far too frequently doesn't...
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    The problem with Sky boxes is they are so unpredictable everything can be fine then suddenly it just switches itself off. I have never had problems like this with my freeview box which is cheap quality but at least it is reliable unlike Sky plus. I think they must be very badly made cos so many people have problems with them or have to get them replaced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Apparently the cure for this is as follows;

Switch the box off at the mains,
    Disconnect dish input one at the back of the box
    Wait 10 seconds
    Reconnect dish input one
    switch on at mains
    (box should be back in standby)
    Wait 1 minute
    Press 'Sky' button on remote
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    try software update procedure:

switch box off at the mains
    press and hold the back up button
    switch power back whilst holding the back up button
    you will see the red light come on first then
    after a few secs you should see all 4 lights on the front on the box and a message will appear on your screen saying

"updating system software please do not disconnect from mains supply or satellite dish this may take up to 10 mins"

after up to 10 mins box will switch back onto standby
    leave it for 90 seconds then press the tv button and then the sky button on your remote control

if the box doesn't come back on then it's a fault with the box
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thank you for this.

Walked into the room and the Sky box wasn't responding at all. The my little ones told me that the button went blue, the screen fuzzy and it went off.

I switched it off at the mains no response from the on/off button. I told the girls Sky was broke. If they knew the words "Your f**king joking!" they would have said it, but being 5 and 6 I was saved from that.

Came here read the disconnect the dish and it now works.

YAY!!

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    try software update procedure:

switch box off at the mains
    press and hold the back up button
    switch power back whilst holding the back up button
    you will see the red light come on first then
    after a few secs you should see all 4 lights on the front on the box and a message will appear on your screen saying

"updating system software please do not disconnect from mains supply or satellite dish this may take up to 10 mins"

after up to 10 mins box will switch back onto standby
    leave it for 90 seconds then press the tv button and then the sky button on your remote control

if the box doesn't come back on then it's a fault with the box

Thanks for that, it worked for me.
    I tried, previously, another suggestion to do with holding in the left and right buttons, I can't recall the rest, and that didn't work.
    On calling Sky to complain about the garbage equipment, I was told that the holding in left and right buttons will wipe all saved recordings and delete the Anytime settings also!
    Beware!