Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night - 25/10/14 (BBC One/HD - 8.20pm) Discussion

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit like last week, going into this 'blind'....deliberately not bought the latest DWM so haven't seen any previews. Worked for me last week (superb stuff) so fingers crossed. I know there's a, um, plant theme so will it be more Seeds of Doom than Terror of the Vervoids? Look forward to finding out.

Actually, got a soft spot for the latter, so that sounds a bit mean. Would controversially suggest the former is a tad better though. Edgy stuff, yeah? ;-)
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see this thread has been pinned. I've always thought that both the next and latest episode should be pinned... I also thought that at the end of the series a "Series 8 reflection" thread should be pinned for general discussion/review of the whole season. I wonder if that will happen too :p

Back on topic, I saw a bit of this being filmed so I'm looking extra forward to it!!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see this thread has been pinned. I've always thought that both the next and latest episode should be pinned... I also thought that at the end of the series a "Series 8 reflection" thread should be pinned for general discussion/review of the whole season. I wonder if that will happen too :p

Back on topic, I saw a bit of this being filmed so I'm looking extra forward to it!!

I asked the mods to pin this thread too, on the early side compared to how it has been, because of all the duplicates we kept getting. Im very glad they did, I hope they continue to do the same from now on to hopefully avoid the duplicates!

Back on topic as you say, I am looking forward to this episode too, I think that its been good so far and Im hoping the last 3 will be equally as good if not better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC America have released a new clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BV-wP4NB9Y&feature=youtu.be
  • SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Hmm, looks like there's a fair bit of Danny Pink in this ep. Wonder which of his two facial expressions he'll use this week, neutral or slightly confused.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Sealeg wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like there's a fair bit of Danny Pink in this ep. Wonder which of his two facial expressions he'll use this week, neutral or slightly confused.

He is going to invent a new one for himself.

Glum
    Forum Member

You shouldn't need to pin a thread that "should" be popular especially as it will be a review of the season.
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that the title will be the best thing about it. The "exciting" photos on DS were anything but and the trailer made it look deathly dull. How "exciting"! A kid running through a wood... When the tiger threatened the kid in the trailer I was on the tiger's side.

3/10

I have to agree.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did someone really just rate the episode already? Ok then!

I'll give it a 10. I usually like the left field ones that everyone hates. I'm hoping its a Love and Monsters for a new era. Yep. Don't even care.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Eddie from 'Skaro' has reviewed it and essentially says that 'In the Forest of the Night' is...
    absolute crap

http://www.outpostskaro.com/2014/10/22/the-skaro-review-in-the-forest-of-the-night-by-eddie-mcguigan/#more-2991
    Forum Member
    Eddie from 'Skaro' has reviewed it and essentially says that 'In the Forest of the Night' is...
    absolute crap

http://www.outpostskaro.com/2014/10/22/the-skaro-review-in-the-forest-of-the-night-by-eddie-mcguigan/#more-2991

I can believe that looking the pics
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    I can believe that looking the pics

You've seen a few photos, a short trailer and read someone else's review. And that's enough for you to have made up your mind?
    Why not watch the episode with an open mind and then decide?
    Just a thought.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    You've seen a few photos, a short trailer and read someone else's review. And that's enough for you to have made up your mind?
    Why not watch the episode with an open mind and then decide?
    Just a thought.

I agree the BBC should ban pre broadcast reviews beyond a few spoilers that don't say much! People that have seen it pre broadcast should have to wait till the episode has aired before they release their review.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of the above.
    @Eddie_at_Skaro
    Can I just say ITFOTN isn't THAT bad. It's not terrible. It's not offensive. The acting and directing are fab. The idea uplifting. But I PERSONALLY prefer the more "Who"like eps. Please don't be coloured by my opinion.

Trust Kapellmeister to only link to the 'negative' review. But there is a ban on positive ones. :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have no idea who he is, tbh! Apart from being a fan with an opinion, obviously.

How'd he get to see it early? :confused:
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Speaking of the above.

Trust Kapellmeister to only link to the 'negative' review. But there is a ban on positive ones. :)

How can he say it's not "that bad" when his own review states:
    In The Forest of the Night is a plot holed bloody mess. It makes no sense, does nothing for any character development and even the very good Capaldi, Coleman and Anderson can’t pull this out of the “Bottom of the Series Poll Position”.

I hate this kind of backtracking.

Anyway, I'm going to keep an open mind and hope for the best tonight :)
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I agree the BBC should ban pre broadcast reviews beyond a few spoilers that don't say much! People that have seen it pre broadcast should have to wait till the episode has aired before they release their review.

I agree!
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie really has backtracked hasn't he? Just proves that no-one should really take much notice of these clowns, especially when they can't even comment on an episode consistently.
    Make up your own minds folks, don't let anyone else tell you what to think! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eddie really has backtracked hasn't he? Just proves that no-one should really take much notice of these clowns, especially when they can't even comment on an episode consistently.

Every review for Flatline i saw was 'The fans won't like this etc...' and rated the episode 3/5. Even after it was generally considered to be the best of the series Digital Spy rated it 3/5.

Sadly these 'Doctor Who' reviews seem to be all over the place at the moment.

It's going to have to go some way to be as good as 'Mummy' and 'Flatline' but let's be fair not many stories since the series re-boot are as good as the last 2 stories.
    Forum Member
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    Every review for Flatline i saw was 'The fans won't like this etc...' and rated the episode 3/5. Even after it was generally considered to be the best of the series Digital Spy rated it 3/5.

Sadly these 'Doctor Who' reviews seem to be all over the place at the moment.

It's going to have to go some way to be as good as 'Mummy' and 'Flatline' but let's be fair not many stories since the series re-boot are as good as the last 2 stories.

There was a thread saying 5 newspapers gave it 5 out of 5 for flatline. But digital spy did come up with the amazing 3 out of 5 review
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sealeg wrote: »

Aww, poor Sam Anderson. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I agree his acting range is quite...limited:(

I think this will be pretty obvious if he's in any scenes against Capaldi tonight.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The clock's ticking.
    @frankcottrell
    Really hope everyone enjoys #intheforestofthenight. If not I can only apologise
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

Agreed.
    It is very strange when people allow the opinions of a few critics to colour their expectations, as in '3/10' ??
    Really ??? Based on the say-so of someone with a fansite ?

How about watching before giving a score?
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series so far for me has had some serious lows but really big highs and quite a few average episodes in particular I have especially enjoyed Jamie Mathieson's episodes and I'm hoping he writes more in the future and I hope this episode is up to those episodes standards even though it isn't written by him.