How ar you feeling about Night Terrors? Given it's a Mark Gatiss episode.

2»

Comments

• smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Gatiss is one of our best TV writers, and the premise for this looks pretty good, so yep, looking forward to it.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    He's friends with Moffatt and has always schmoozed well around the show. I agree his writing talents aren't astonishing.

But I really do think he can't go wrong with this episode.

Having done a little more research on his Who connection, he seems to have been quite active during the hinterland years, and as someone with independent television credibility is therefore someone you'd expect to have become involved and quite probably helped in getting it brought back in the first place.

So, you know, it's always possible that events just keep conspiring against him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds good
    like the fact it seems to be linking back to other episodes
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very positive review from Cameron here:

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/1701-doctor-who-night-terrors-spoiler-free-review

'Night Terrors' marvels in its less than marvellous setting and will have you giggling knowingly (pointing out the references to your less geeky friends), LOLing and shrieking in equal measures. Gatiss has already proven the skills for laughs and scares but here he also demonstrates his heart with a wonderful relationship between father and son. The ending, we're sure, will have a number of you weeping.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this one far more than Let's Kill Hitler, which to be frank was plain rubbish.

Go Mark! This looks like proper traditional Doctor Who to me.

Define 'proper traditional Doctor Who'. Since the show has embraced multiple styles and told pretty much every kind of story from horror to parallel universe to comedy Westerns over the years, I'm not sure what that phrase means.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as Gatiss' episodes have not been much of a hit among the Doctor Who fans (especially the latest) Some certainly haven't been awful but they are definatley not as good as he is capable of. How do you feel this one will be?

have always felt Gattis is a far better actor than he is writer , The Unquiet Dead, was one of the best episodes in series 1 and took me back to the gothic era of seasons 12/13. Sadly The Idiots, lantern was a huge dissapointment and Victory, was actually pretty reasonable but nothing great so Gattis, on Who has been very hit and miss. From the trailer I saw of next weeks episode it looks like it's potentialy going to be his best episode so far.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've liked all of Gatiss' episodes. The Unquiet Dead was one of the best in Series 1 and The Idiot's Lantern, I actually quite enjoyed. Victory of the Daleks was ridiculous in my opinion, but I found myself enjoying it, so for that reason I will classify it as beautiful nonsense.

Night Terrors looks as if it may be his best. We'll just have to wait and see :)
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I love MG, I think he is a genius and in the dark days before Who came back, you could always rely on Mark to keep the subject alive either through sketch or interview.

However, his stories for me have always ended up a bit, meh! after I had expected something in line with what he used to talk about in interviews. he was a huge JP fan iirc and was expecting something akin with his era!

I'll more than likely enjoy Night Terrors but equally, I am more than likely to think..meh! at the end of it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    'Night Terrors' marvels in its less than marvellous setting and will have you giggling knowingly (pointing out the references to your less geeky friends), LOLing and shrieking in equal measures. Gatiss has already proven the skills for laughs and scares but here he also demonstrates his heart with a wonderful relationship between father and son. The ending, we're sure, will have a number of you weeping.

I will admit, the obscure references are a fun thing about Gatiss' episodes (if you like that sort of thing).
    But the second thing I've highlighted does concern me a bit, he can lay that sort of thing on a bit thick / handle it clumsily, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this episode mainly to see the reactions of the people who are complaining about the lack of standalone episodes :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked his first two...not a huge fan of the 3rd but didn't hate it.

I like the look of this one...though I will have to wait a couple hours longer then normal as I don't think its really one for my almost 5 year old to watch...he doesn't need tips on what kind of monsters he's got visiting him!! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Very, very wary of this episode given his track record.

In fairness though, the previews have looked pretty good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    This is a local dollshouse for local people we'll have no trouble here.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're my companion now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    When I heard about the plot for this one it immediately reminded me of a 70's childrens show which haunted me. I can't remember the name of the show (will look up my copies of SFX as I'm sure it was referenced recently in Ask the Experts), but it also involved a child living in a block of flats who's lift plumeted to the basement and a strange fantasy world. The fact the trailer also seems to feature a plumeting lift may be one of the geek references that will be in the episode.
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really looking forward to this and the rest of the series.

I actually really enjoyed Victory of the Daleks... Thought it was one of the better Dalek stories...
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    temperare wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to this and the rest of the series.

I actually really enjoyed Victory of the Daleks... Thought it was one of the better Dalek stories...

the actual basic premise for Victory was really good, imho, it was a really good and interesting story. What would have made it excellent was for it to be a two parter so the story had a bit more time to play itself out...for example imagine that the whole of the first episode was The Doctor behaving in an increasingly bizarre and paranoid way towards the Ironclad Daleks, who continued to all intense and purposes to be harmless, and then, just when the audience was actually feeling sorry for them to lay on the reveal and have that be the cliffhanger. Then the second story enables you to introduce the new daleks and have more of a build up to the attack etc.

My point is that whatever may have been wrong with the episode, the script wasn't the problem I don't think.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gatiss created and wrote the fantastic 'Crooked House' on BBC Four and this episode looks to be very much the same genre.

Can't wait for it.