Nexus 4 price drop.

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Oh, what the hell. I've just ordered the 16GB version. Damn me and my weak willpower.

If you bought it in the last 15 days you can get the difference in price back by filling in this form

https://support.google.com/googleplay/contact/nexus_price
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still using an HTC Desire that i bought a few years ago, it's starting to feel a bit dated and even after i rooted and put Link2SD on it i'm getting low memory warnings. Mind you i do have 107 apps in the app draw.

Gonna chat with wifey and get one of these i think, cheers for the info OP :)
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immense value for money.

Perhaps to compete with the upcoming plastic fantastic iPhone as well
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I'm really tempted, the lack of micro SD card slot that's making me unsure though.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The battery life is much better with Android 4.3. No phone is perfect and the N4 is so much better than a 3GS it is unreal. The only issue is how deeply you are invested in the Apple ecosystem.

I'm afraid I don't agree with that. My battery is no different on 4.3 than it was on 4.2.

Personally, I find the battery "adequate", much like most other android phones I've had. It'll get you through a day of normal usage but you'll be charging it each night. If you hammer it with games or youtube videos then don't expect it to last long, maybe 2 - 3 hours. But even my old Galaxy Note 2, which had a much bigger battery than this, you would still drain in in 4 - 5 hours with heavy use.

Battery life is not a reason to dismiss the Nexus 4 even though it could be better; Even the new Moto X appears to put in a similar performance, and that's despite the fact it is a phone that makes a big deal of usability over specs. That the latter also uses Vanilla Android like a Nexus tells you all you need to know about the usability of a Nexus device (superb, Android at its very best).
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really tempted, the lack of micro SD card slot that's making me unsure though.

Seriously you cant go wrong at this price. So easy to shuffle files around between android and a pc as well that this has never been an issue. In fact I've got the 16 gig one but I could easily get by with the 8 gig version
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends whether you want to store lots of offline videos, games and music.

I was able to get 90 albums in MP3 format on my Nexus 4 (16Gb), and I still had about 5 Gb free.

I had a potential of 70 Gb on my Note 2 with SDcard and I never used it.

Plus if you have unlimited data, you can use their cloud services. I use Picasa, Drive and Play Music and by and large they are good services.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    If you use a modern, mid-high end smartphone how it was intended to be used then you really do have to get into the routine of charging it every day, I'm afraid.

PS Does the Nexus 4 still come with the free 50gb of cloud storage?

PPS pair the Nexus 4 8Gb with Three's One Plan (£15 or £18/mth depending on time commitment) and you've got an awesome package at a killer price.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

no it doesn't
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I got mine the day after despatch.

And there has been plenty of speculation that Google are selling them at or very close to cost price (which explains the massive price differential with other suppliers).

Mind you, if you think that Google prices are steep or that Google are taking the wotsit with the delivery charge, then buy another phone for the same (total) price. :)

Come on guts, it's dropped by £80 and people are complaining/remarking upon a £10 delivery charge - why not view it as a price reduction of only £70.

Because then people would find something else to moan about. It was excellent at it's original price. Never mind the discount which makes it even better.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »

Checking with the wifey is never a good idea when you are thinking of buying a gadget ;) Just do it and then ask for forgiveness afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Seriously you cant go wrong at this price. So easy to shuffle files around between android and a pc as well that this has never been an issue. In fact I've got the 16 gig one but I could easily get by with the 8 gig version

I have the 8GB version and have managed fine so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Immense value for money.

Perhaps to compete with the upcoming plastic fantastic iPhone as well

I'd say it's already beaten it.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love mine. It's a really great phone. If you're considering it, don't think about it too long, because they're almost certainly running down the stock, and Out Of Stock probably will mean OOS this time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    cold.

Samsung Galaxy Ace is much better value.

In what way at all is it 'better value'?

I'm not saying I dislike the Galaxy Ace but the Nexus 4 is far ahead in terms of performance (and build quality).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love mine. It's a really great phone. If you're considering it, don't think about it too long, because they're almost certainly running down the stock, and Out Of Stock probably will mean OOS this time!

I agree and coupled with the fact it receives updates direct from Google makes it even better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    whats the battery life like on it, just been reading a review on trustedreviews and although they say the phone is great battery life isnt the best, im not fussed about there being no expandable slot ive gpt the 16gb iphone 3gs and not really used up that much there, but it would be a concern if im charging it every day as i am with my current phone.

I think most smartphones need charging everyday to be honest . I have a RAZRi , light usage to say the least but I still have to plug her in everyday.

Why can't they make a good battery nowadays . Puzzles me .
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    whats the battery life like on it, just been reading a review on trustedreviews and although they say the phone is great battery life isnt the best, im not fussed about there being no expandable slot ive gpt the 16gb iphone 3gs and not really used up that much there, but it would be a concern if im charging it every day as i am with my current phone.

If you are going to use it as a smartphone then like any smartphone you will be charging it everyday, mobile data and the screen will always drain the battery faster than a pisshead can drink Stella.

Just using it as a phone however and you can get 3 days out of it.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No but you can upload 20,000 songs to Play Music for nowt and stream them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I

Never mind chatting with the wife . Give her a clip round the ear and get yourself on Google Play :D;)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I'd say it's already beaten it.

I think that was the idea behind this. Amazing value, Google have made the competition extremely tough.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I think most smartphones need charging everyday to be honest . I have a RAZRi , light usage to say the least but I still have to plug her in everyday.

Why can't they make a good battery nowadays . Puzzles me .

It's not the bad batteries, it's more down to the (large) screens which suck up quite a bit of juice, add that to background app syncing services, wireless, bluetooth & GPS, not to mention data services, then even the best battery will drain pretty quickly unless those things are used sparingly.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    You're very welcome :) I wonder if this price drop has anything to do with the allegedly very imminent 'cheap' iPhone? ;)

More like getting rid of stock since the Nexus 5 is due out soon. Plus all phones come down in price after a time.

The cheap iphone i bet works out about £50 cheaper than a normal one :D
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Because then people would find something else to moan about. It was excellent at it's original price. Never mind the discount which makes it even better.
    What is worse moaning about the delivery charge....

...or moaning about people moaning about it whilst complaining that people moan?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    What is worse moaning about the delivery charge....

...or moaning about people moaning about it whilst complaining that people moan?

Or moaning about people moaning about people moaning?

£10 isn't extortionate is it? By the way some people are reacting you'd think it was.