Options

Found a cat but got a problem - Urgent advice

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
Hi all,

Just need some very urgent advice, what it is, is that a stray cat kept coming up to me so many days so I felt sorry on him so I took him in and feed him ete, anyway I need some fast advice as it states in my tenancy agreement that I can't have pets in my flat and I am so worried if my Landlord finds out or they come without notifying me.

I don't want to put it out on the streets as I will feel sorry on him, I just want him to have a good home.

After when christmas is over and new year, if I take it to vets will they rehome him? if not do you know where I can give him away.

I just don't want him on the streets starving :(

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any money for him. I just want him to have a perfect home.

He is not old, he is still quite young.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried any rehoming centres? Cat Protection may be able to help, at this time of year they are not so inundated with kittens. I wouldn't try to pass it on to any random person unless you knew them well as there is a lot of cruelty to animals especially cats. If it went to a rehoming centre there's a good chance it would be neutered so as to prevent it's offspring also becoming strays. Good luck.You sound so caring, shame you can't keep it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you taken the cat too the vets too see if it chipped. It will not cost you anything for that either. Then check too see if he or she is reported missing on any sites. Vets dont usualy rehome . Not quiet sure about cats procetion in the area either. But if you send me a message on here I post on Facebook too my cat rescue friends. Give me as much details and possible a pic too. Not promising anything but I help if I can do
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know it is a stray? You need to get him/her to a vet so they can scan it for a microchip. Someone might be missing their cat :)

At the very least (cos it's Christmas) phone round your local vets to see if they have any missing cats reported that match the cat you haves description.

Also google local rescues in your area cos if it is stray then they will usually rehome. They also might be able to come and scan for a microchip.
  • Options
    japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all the above posts and even if you take to cats protection or another shelter put posters up saying that you have found a cat with a brief discription as it could be someone's missing pet.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask around friends, family, workmates if anyone can give it a home. Even if they can't themselves they may know someone who would like too.
    Your landlord shouldn't just drop by without prior warning, though I wouldn't advise trying to keep a secret pet!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just need some very urgent advice, what it is, is that a stray cat kept coming up to me so many days so I felt sorry on him so I took him in and feed him ete, anyway I need some fast advice as it states in my tenancy agreement that I can't have pets in my flat and I am so worried if my Landlord finds out or they come without notifying me.

I don't want to put it out on the streets as I will feel sorry on him, I just want him to have a good home.

After when christmas is over and new year, if I take it to vets will they rehome him? if not do you know where I can give him away.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any money for him. I just want him to have a perfect home.

You could try contacting your landlord and explain the situation and state if any damage you would make good. It has been declared unfair by the OFT for a Landlord to have a blanket ban on pets for no good reason

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/rentals/pets-can-be-landlords-best-friend

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) considers a blanket ban on keeping pets in a property to be unfair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. A fair contract, says the OFT, would require the tenant to get the landlord’s consent before bringing in pets, but the landlord should not be able to unreasonably withhold consent
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many landlords refuse a cat in my experience just ask after Xmas see what they say
    Good luck
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have no luck with getting permission to keep your cat, here is the link to your local Cats Protection:

http://www.trafford.cats.org.uk/

Good luck!

PS: I agree with those who say don't give it to someone you know (or worse, don't know). I am sure Cats Protection will have standard procedures in place for checking for chips, etc.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can sell the cat on Gumtree. You don't have to sell the cat for money, you can give it away for free if you want. You can contact the interested buyer to check them out and ideally try to find someone close to where you live. Makes the transaction that much easier.

I got my current cat from Gumtree :) so I can vouch for it being a legitimate way to acquire pets. She was free to buy (most sellers give a price, though) but I had to pay to get her spayed and given some injections.

Gumtree cat/kittens link:

http://www.gumtree.com/pets/uk/kittens+for+sale

If you do sell the cat on Gumtree you should inform the buyer of the cat's past history - inform them it's a stray so you're not aware of its medical history or if it's been microchipped. An alternate route mentioned in a previous reply - contact a vet or perhaps the PDSA and get it scanned to see if it's got a microchip. If it does then you might be able to find the owner.

Another route woud be just keep the cat indoors, look after it, and hope no-one finds about it! :D
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly recommend not putting the cat on Gumtree. Lots of people have advised to not post animals on there as a lot of animals are being used in horrible ways such as dog baiting. Please do not put the cat up on there. There are a few genuine people on there, but please don't. Other people have given great advice though. :)

All the best
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    You can sell the cat on Gumtree. You don't have to sell the cat for money, you can give it away for free if you want. You can contact the interested buyer to check them out and ideally try to find someone close to where you live. Makes the transaction that much easier.

I got my current cat from Gumtree :) so I can vouch for it being a legitimate way to acquire pets. She was free to buy (most sellers give a price, though) but I had to pay to get her spayed and given some injections.

Gumtree cat/kittens link:

http://www.gumtree.com/pets/uk/kittens+for+sale

If you do sell the cat on Gumtree you should inform the buyer of the cat's past history - inform them it's a stray so you're not aware of its medical history or if it's been microchipped. An alternate route mentioned in a previous reply - contact a vet or perhaps the PDSA and get it scanned to see if it's got a microchip. If it does then you might be able to find the owner.

Another route woud be just keep the cat indoors, look after it, and hope no-one finds about it! :D

Please don't do this, it's a mine field with potentiometer buying wanting animals for all sorts of reasons, 99% of them not nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Please don't do this, it's a mine field with potentiometer buying wanting animals for all sorts of reasons, 99% of them not nice.
    I think your auto-correct went a bit crazy there :D

I agree - Sorry, but I was horrified at the suggestion. Why on earth would anyone do that when there are cat rescue places? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I think your auto-correct went a bit crazy there :D

I agree - Sorry, but I was horrified at the suggestion. Why on earth would anyone do that when there are cat rescue places? :o

Ha ha! Either that or the one glass of wine was far too much for me!

It should say: 'people buying'

We have plenty of horror stories come in at work, people presume it's just dogs, it's not -all sorts of animals are bought by decent looking people, and used for baiting amoungst other things.
  • Options
    PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you want to keep the cat? If so that is the best option as you seem to care about him.Your only worry seems to be about the landlord. And the cat has clearly chosen you, which is a big compliment.
    My previous rented accomodation stated no pets, but when I told her a stray cat had taken a shine to me, and vice versa, she (and she is one of those hard land'lords') let me keep him, as long as I was responsible for keeping the place clean.
    It depends on your relationship with your landlord, do you get on? Does he come round often? Bear in mind he may not be bothered as long as he gets the rent, and you take responsibility, like my landlord did. Or if he doesn't come round often he doesn't need to know and you can explain that it's a stray that comes to you.
    It depends on what you want to do, but from what you are saying, you may already be that 'good home'. Just a thought.
  • Options
    PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

And just to say, they have to give you at least 48 hours notice if they are going to visit, and can't enter without your permission. If they did, it could be as you said, a stray you felt sorry for. And it's illegal for them to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update:

Sorry haven't been replying to any of your replies, my landlord is not private, its a Housing Association and I told them that I found a stray cat and looked after him for the last few weeks.

Anyway good news, the housing officer has come to agreement that as long as he don't mess my flat up or dirty it then I can keep him :)
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

Sorry haven't been replying to any of your replies, my landlord is not private, its a Housing Association and I told them that I found a stray cat and looked after him for the last few weeks.

Anyway good news, the housing officer has come to agreement that as long as he don't mess my flat up or dirty it then I can keep him :)
    That's great that you are being allowed to keep the cat. :)

I would still advise you to take him to a vet asap, firstly to get him properly looked over and also so that they can check for a microchip. And if he is not already neutered then I would suggest you have him done to avoid more stray kittens ending up on the streets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Natarhi wrote: »
    That's great that you are being allowed to keep the cat. :)

I would still advise you to take him to a vet asap, firstly to get him properly looked over and also so that they can check for a microchip. And if he is not already neutered then I would suggest you have him done to avoid more stray kittens ending up on the streets.

I will do thanks, also he is full of fleas and they getting into my flat, what's the best way to get rid of them :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww that's good. Flea wise you need to get him to a vet who can advise if he needs frontline or something stronger (some tablets work quick) it depends on he level of infestation. Generally you can home deflea but as a first ime, I'd vet him, he'll need worming too- fleas nearly always equal worms.

Get. Him neutered, lots of charities offer vouchers to help, and start his vaccinations if you can.

Re the fleas in your house, some sort of bug bomb will be best, I'm sure someone on here can advise.

What are you calling him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww that's good. Flea wise you need to get him to a vet who can advise if he needs frontline or something stronger (some tablets work quick) it depends on he level of infestation. Generally you can home deflea but as a first ime, I'd vet him, he'll need worming too- fleas nearly always equal worms.

Get. Him neutered, lots of charities offer vouchers to help, and start his vaccinations if you can.

Re the fleas in your house, some sort of bug bomb will be best, I'm sure someone on here can advise.

What are you calling him?

Thanks for your advice bazzar1, I will take him to vets soon. I have named in Tigger :)
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of lost pet sites now on Facebook.

I have got two cats back to their owners that way recently, one after being missing for three years.

I did a Google search by typing in lost cat and the area i found it and that bought me to a local FB site.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you are able to keep this poor lost cat. However, as others have said, please have him checked for a microchip. My lovely cat was missing for over a year. Despite postering and walking for miles looking in parks, knocking on doors etc. there was no sign of him, although we never stopped looking, especialy if out at night I would always look in corners, under hedges etc. Turned out he had been taken in by someone not far away. Everything came to light after they took him to the vet after all that time and the vet checked his chip called me. He came home!! He was confused at first. He has changed from a cat who was never inside to one who hardly ever goes out and never leaves the garden. He is still quite fearful although he's been back a few years now. So, although it's lovely of you to take him in and if he is a stray I hope you will be happy together, if he is a lost cat, he needs to go home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flea wise you need to get him to a vet who can advise if he needs frontline or something stronger

I was under the impression that Frontline was no good. I use Advocate spot-on from my vet for my cat.

Good news OP, that you are able to keep him! You need to get him to the vet ASAP if you don't want pet fleas as well!!
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been lurking on this thread.. so glad you can keep him :kitty: :kitty:

oh! for the fleas in your house use this, seriously brilliant!! I had a horrible flea invasion this year and after this not had anything for months. killed the eggs, larvae and adults and has kept them all at bay.

Indorex Household Flea Spray 500ml Fleas Cat / Dog

Got mine from amazon but shop around for the cheapest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that Frontline was no good. I use Advocate spot-on from my vet for my cat.

Good news OP, that you are able to keep him! You need to get him to the vet ASAP if you don't want pet fleas as well!!

We use it at work, never had an issue with it not working, but it's not super strong, hence why I suggested checking with the vet on best option, if he's infested he'll need something that will work quickly.