Iron Rich Recipes

Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
Forum Member
I was diagnosed a couple of years ago as having chronic anemia and generally I know which foods are high in iron but I just wondered if anyone has got any tasty, well tested iron rich recipes?

Thank you :)

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always though liver was the go-to thing for iron........and spinach ?
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I always though liver was the go-to thing for iron........and spinach ?

They've actually changed the advice about spinach in the last year or so! Although it does contain a good amount of iron, it also contains substances that decreases the absorption of iron. Having said that, if you had spinach with something that enhances iron absoprtion (Vitamin C is good for iron absorption, so orange juice etc for example) it should still be good for iron.

I also have chronic anaemia! Have you seen the BBC Good Food section for iron-rich recipes here?. I've tried some of the stews and curries there, and they are lovely.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Thanks swingaleg (great username :cool:) I am not too keen on liver though I do cook it occasionally and I have to admit it makes the most tasty gravy.

Smithy1204 I didn't know that about spinach! although I do drink lots of fresh orange for the reasons you stated.
    Thank you for the link I'll have a look and I hope your anaemia isn't causing you too much trouble :)
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having tagliatelli with brocolli and wine/blue cheese sauce today. Loads of brocolli, high in iron and vitamin C. It's so good.
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    I'm having tagliatelli with brocolli and wine/blue cheese sauce today. Loads of brocolli, high in iron and vitamin C. It's so good.

That sounds delicious :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Thyme is very high in iron.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any really dark veg is rich in iron. Cavolo nero, kale etc.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Food for thought, so to speak:

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/does-cooking-cast-iron-pots-and-pans-add-iron-our-food

Under certain conditions, cooking certain foods in cast iron cookware adds iron to your diet.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We do a dish which we call bubble and squeak, although it isnt really.

When we ate potatoes, the recipe was

boiled potatoes, tomatoes, savoy cabbage (or something dark) onions, mince lamb or beef, bit of brown sauce, garlic, salt pepper etc. You mix up fried onions with browned mince, mix it in with the tomatoes (fresh toms), then add the boiled pots, then mush it a bit, not too much, mix in your other flavourings, I like oregano or thyme, then put in a baking dish or tray and brown off in the oven for about 40 mins.

We love this. I also used to put grated cheese on top.

Anyway, we dont eat starchy carbs anymore, so we replaced the potatoes with mashed up cauliflower and mashed up white beans, butter or cannolini or something like that (I know beans have some carbs in). Its a bit more moist and sloppy but really nice, you have to flavour it up a bit more.
    Forum Member
    Food for thought, so to speak:

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/does-cooking-cast-iron-pots-and-pans-add-iron-our-food

Under certain conditions, cooking certain foods in cast iron cookware adds iron to your diet.

Well I didn't know that but it does sound very plausible thanks for posting the link it was very interesting to read :)

tiacat that recipe for your version of 'bubble and squeak' sounds delicious and like you I have cut down on potatoes - I love mashed cauliflower but I always add just a tiny bit of potato....very tasty :)
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    They've actually changed the advice about spinach in the last year or so! Although it does contain a good amount of iron, it also contains substances that decreases the absorption of iron. Having said that, if you had spinach with something that enhances iron absoprtion (Vitamin C is good for iron absorption, so orange juice etc for example) it should still be good for iron.

I also have chronic anaemia! Have you seen the BBC Good Food section for iron-rich recipes here?. I've tried some of the stews and curries there, and they are lovely.

I like to put frozen spinach in red lentil dal, I didn't know about the updated advice on spinach, so thanks for that.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to put frozen spinach in red lentil dal, I didn't know about the updated advice on spinach, so thanks for that.

That is still very healthy and red lentils are high in iron if you are deficient. Maybe include red peppers in there for the vitamin c or have something like kiwi fruit for the sweet?

For anyone who is not anaemic too much iron can be worse than too much if it is haem iron as found in animals, non-haem iron as in plants is usually safe in excess. Never take iron tablets unless prescribed by your doctor as they can be dangerous over an extended period.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovebeetroot.co.uk

Beetroot is very good and very under estimated, we always have a bowl of this simple beetroot salad in the fridge, even in winter.
    Chop and dice, beetroot, celery and onion add a small pot of plain yoghurt.
    There isn't any right or wrong way as you just do it to taste, and season.
    I have trouble taking iron tablets and eat loads of beetroot, red velvet cake is also yummy if made with beets, although maybe not as healthy as some of the above ideas :-)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liver and Savoy Cabbage is one of my fave iron rich dinners.