Options

Which act has been the most successful?

kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Out of all the previous winners or non winners in X factor?

Was it Leona Lewis or 1D?

Comments

• Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    One Direction.

But if we base it on time frame and things like that nobody has come close to the way Leona Lewis was. In 2008 she was literally known everywhere.

She had a number 1 in like 36 countries or something like that - One Direction haven't done that.

So yeah, actually, probably Leona Lewis.
  • Options
    JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction but also I got mention Olly because he has done really well for himself as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Olly Murs?>
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Olly Murs?>

I added him to because he has done really well since he was on X Factor
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercially - Leona and one direction.

Critically - Rebecca Ferguson.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    One Direction
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Olly Murs?>

He's managed to be the most successful act to come out of the show with absolutely no talent whatsoever. His success shows you really can fool the public
  • Options
    Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona, One Direction, Alex to some extent and Olly.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction. No other act comes close.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Edit: for some kind of weird measurement of international success:...

1d is like waaaay bigger than any act here in Sweden atm (at least they have the loudest fanbase) and I think their fans were very fond of jedward especially during the years they were in esc (it's a lot bigger/more important in Sweden than in the uk lol) although that buzz is like completely gone now

Leona had some successful songs here, but other than bleeding love and the aviici coop and maybe some other song we haven't heard anything from her.

Ella Henderson is actually pretty big here atm, but she might just be a one hit thingy tho, just like James arthur and shayne ward was... Olly Murrs performed at our Idols top 4 show or something, but I don't really think people knew who he was tbh :p

Other than that idk. Cher Lloyd is a growing name but still pretty unknown.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction.

I know a lot of people still consider Leona to be the most successful cos of how huge her debut album and 'Bleeding Love' were. Yes they were both enormously successful but other than that she hasn't really had a proper WORLDWIDE hit. And her success has dwindled massively over the years.

1D on the other hand have broken chart records worldwide, have a good few HUGE worldwide smashes under their belt, have sold out arenas worldwide, have had a huge movie, hoards of merchandise with their name slapped on.. they really have monopolised popular culture since they were on the show.

I think that by this point they've far eclipsed Leona's success.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    It's definitely between Leona Lewis and One Direction. There are different factors that determine who is more successful.

One Direction's first two albums combined sold 10 million worldwide. Leona's Spirit sold 10 million alone worldwide.

However, Echo sold a third of Spirit worldwide whereas Midnight Memories managed to sell a healthy 4 million worldwide.

So 1D have definitely sold more albums than Leona worldwide.

I suspect 1D have sold much more than Leona in concert ticket sales and merchandise too.

On the flip side, Bleeding Love has probably sold worldwide more than most of 1D's singles combined. The only other Leona single that was successful was Run but I doubt even sold a third of Bleeding Love's total sales.

As much as I like Leona, I think One Direction are easily the most successful act to come from UK X Factor.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of global success, it's obviously One Direction.

Leona Lewis is obviously a natural second choice as her first album just blew up everywhere and she is still relatively known in a lot of countries.

Olly Murs has done extremely well in the UK.

Little Mix have done amazingly in terms of having success in the UK and overseas. Definitely the second most successful winner after Leona.

Cher Lloyd had mediocre success but seems to have dwindled recently.

Ella Henderson seems to be doing really well atm.

I have a feeling Fluer East from this year will blow up but time will tell.
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did everyone forget JLS?
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D globally but I'd argue Olly is bigger in the UK. I doubt anyone from the show will have a global hit as huge as Bleeding Love though!
  • Options
    Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is that even a question...???.. Anyone that doesn't say One Direction is stupid...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did everyone forget JLS?

Yes I think we have :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Did everyone forget JLS?

Not me :3
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    One Direction without a doubt.
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've picked up about them, JLS seem to have been pretty self aware and canny with their business side. Arent they millionaires?
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did everyone forget JLS?

They first album was huge regarding UK sales (1.3 million). I remember the excitement at the time on the appreciation thread when they were selling at a rate of 100k a week, and it just kept going and going...
    From what I've picked up about them, JLS seem to have been pretty self aware and canny with their business side. Arent they millionaires?

I think they are ;-)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/i540104-9/sunday-times-rich-list-2013-young-music-millionaires-jls.html#~oZ6C8pxUwH0hCY
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 1D and Leona are the undisputed top two most successful, who do we reckon would be ranked third, all things considered?

I'd say Olly Murs.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    If 1D and Leona are the undisputed top two most successful, who do we reckon would be ranked third, all things considered?

I'd say Olly Murs.

In the UK, I'd say Olly too.

Overseas, I'd say Ella or Little Mix.
  • Options
    commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction... obviously