EE - Linda and Denise

Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
I understand Linda's emotions are all over the place due to suffering from both the rape effects on her physical, mental and emotional health, and her actual pregnancy hormones, but why is it being written that Linda is increasingly frustrated and angry at Denise all the time?

I know they clashed over Mick lying for Ian, but I cant' see why she would hate her so much. She was annoyed when Mick give Denise the job in the first place, then was annoyed when she was vacuuming and then humilated her by claiming she'd stolen the alcohol. Why is it being written that Linda is taking everything out on Denise? Surely they'd have her target Mick, Nancy, Lee or Johnny?

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was hinted at early in the year that Linda is a bit racist. Maybe that has something to do with it. I agree it wasn't very nice of her. I thought Denise's reaction was off too. As if she'd sit there and be accused of a crime she didn't commit. I don't really like what's happening to Denise lately. Was Ian Beale really that much of a loss?
  • TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all fairness to Linda, Denise is in fact a thief.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesphen wrote: »
    In all fairness to Linda, Denise is in fact a thief.

That doesn't give Linda a free pass to go around publicly humiliating someone. And in this case, Denise didn't steal anything, Mick gifted it to her.

I agree with others saying that Denise deserves better than these storylines. I hope DTC has something bigger planned for her, especially now that Kim is on the way back.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda has been Againts Nancys first boyfreibd and then Dexter and now Denise

Is she a racist?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus Denise's prize courtesy of Linda and the Vic is a free lunch at Beale's [Plaice].

Sure that Denise was simply ecstatic about that - as a viewer, you could tell from watching, that Linda felt bad about Denise's reaction to that - what a rubbish prize, Denise must think Linda is taking the p1ss!

And that's even before she'd accused Denise of stealing the whiskey lol! :-)
  • Liv1Liv1 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    To be fair to Linda, from her perspective she did see a new employee (who has recently lost her job for stealing) with a bottle poking from under her coat so it did look a little suspicious. Fair enough she didn't need to make it a public shaming and should have just called Mick over the second Denise said he'd given it her, but I can understand why she'd jump to that conclusion as it wasn't like the bottle was out on the table, it did look a bit dodgy and Linda wasn't exactly in the best frame of mind.

I think the whole thing was just to show Linda starting to crack under the pressure of everything and so that Stacey would click that there was actually something wrong with her. I did feel really bad for Denise though.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I think there was a purposeful, underlying racism. It was good (not the racism, but the fact they managed to incorporate it in to the story in such a subtle way).
  • MiniMeTooMiniMeToo Posts: 17,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    That doesn't give Linda a free pass to go around publicly humiliating someone. And in this case, Denise didn't steal anything, Mick gifted it to her.

I agree with others saying that Denise deserves better than these storylines. I hope DTC has something bigger planned for her, especially now that Kim is on the way back.

she did steal from the Mini Mart, that's why she got the sack..so in fact she is a thief..
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're trying to show Denise hitting rock bottom. Yeah, the old Denise might not have sat there and taken it - but Denise at the moment is beaten. Yeah, Ian's not that much of a loss - but that with a combination of things - including the fact that at the time of getting with him Ian sort of represented her last chance to find a man - has broken her.

Hopefully 2015 will see the rebidding of Denise into a proud woman.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she should get with Billy
  • Old BaileyOld Bailey Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I can't bear Linda and her miserable wizened gnome face. She was like it before the rape. I am really hoping for better things when Kim comes back and hopefully sorts out Denise.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been tension between Linda and Denise for a while now and it's not all been Linda's fault Denise actually started it. Denise was quite unpleasant and judgmental towards Linda when she thought it was Mick who had been with Rainie. She then kicked off and was nasty to Linda for not telling her when she found out it was actually Ian. Linda was in a very difficult position and did want to tell Denise but Mick and Ian begged her not to, and considering Denise's earlier treatment of her Linda owed her nothing. Their brief friendship never really recovered after that and thrived clashed numerous times ever since.
  • Lisa_Thomas2Lisa_Thomas2 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »

Is she a racist?

Oh god. That would be a horrible thing to do to Linda's character. I hope not.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Bertypop wrote: »
    I think they're trying to show Denise hitting rock bottom. Yeah, the old Denise might not have sat there and taken it - but Denise at the moment is beaten. Yeah, Ian's not that much of a loss - but that with a combination of things - including the fact that at the time of getting with him Ian sort of represented her last chance to find a man - has broken her.

Liv1 wrote: »
    To be fair to Linda, from her perspective she did see a new employee (who has recently lost her job for stealing) with a bottle poking from under her coat so it did look a little suspicious. Fair enough she didn't need to make it a public shaming and should have just called Mick over the second Denise said he'd given it her, but I can understand why she'd jump to that conclusion as it wasn't like the bottle was out on the table, it did look a bit dodgy and Linda wasn't exactly in the best frame of mind.

I think the whole thing was just to show Linda starting to crack under the pressure of everything and so that Stacey would click that there was actually something wrong with her. I did feel really bad for Denise though.

Both of these, from perspective of both women, make sense to me. Plus Linda walked in on Denise talking about her behind her back at least twice, during the Ian thing. I'm never nice as pie to people I know have bitched me out behind my back.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very uncomfortable viewing but I think that's why they did it - Linda is falling apart and Denise is also hitting rock bottom, as has been said.

I don't think we're meant to see Linda as racist - wasn't her disapproval of Nancy's layabout boyfriend because he was a waste of space? And the disapproval of Dexter is another part of her meltdown.

I don't understand why Stacey didn't swap her bottle of whiskey with Denise for the meal at Beale's - although that would have been a lot less dramatic!!!!
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise of old would have clouted that trout across the face.
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »

Is she a racist?

Yes but I don't think that she would consider herself one which is realistic. It may be uncomfortable to watch but it's been done well IMO.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bertypop wrote: »

Very true, good observation.

Denise has been through and hell and back, I think Ian of all people cheating on her and being humiliated was just what made it all fall apart.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Linda is a racist. But there are some old fashioned parts about her. She was funny about Johnny's sexuality and was hardly warm to Tosh and Tina as a couple. Linda gives off the sense she is a women of morals and grace. Yet, she is a woman who had three kids before the age of 20 (one of which she had at 15 = underage sex) and also isn't married, therefore she had three children outside of wedlock. Not that this bothers me aa a person as i couldn't give a crap but from a different perspective, i am looking at it as someone as Linda who presents herself in a moral, graceful and old fashioned way, would never do what I have listed she has done.

Linda must be very much like her father, because Elaine was nothing like Linda when we met her. She was warm, bubbly and seemed to adore the idea of Johnny visiting her with a potential boyfriend in the future. Very open minded. Not all airs and graces.

Although most of what i have said about Linda is perhaps why I immediatley liked her and find her a very interesting character study.