Options

Tesco Hypstreet Pilot

That usernameThat username Posts: 467
Forum Member
I have a Tesco Hudl but want a slightly bigger tablet for watching videos, TV and internet browsing while i am away. Used to have one but the off and on switch is broken, quote to fix it is £25.

I note the Hypstreet is on sale in Tesco and wondered what everyone thinks?

Major minus is the lack of internal storage I guess

the feedback seems ok

Sorry if it has been covered before but I did a search it came up blank

Comments

• Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Major minus is the lack of internal storage I guess
    It has 32gb of internal storage!
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Only three reviews at the moment so hard to determine at this stage; two one-star and one four-star (out of five).
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

Yes, I was looking at that one. Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that these low-cost tablets are unlikely to be any good.

They look the part but in certain key areas they will be deficient.

I would consider a brand-name refurb instead. Or maybe consider spending £100:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-b3-a20-101-inch-tablet-1gb-ram-16gb-white/532-7905.prd

the refurb:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Iconia-One-B3-A20-10-1-Inch-1-3GHz-16GB-Android-Tablet-/331822454397?hash=item4d4228d67d:g:p8AAAOSwl-FXM753
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the photos and description, and Windows 8.1, it looks like last years model Linx 10. If so it only has a micro USB port. The new Linx 1010 has two full sized USB and a micro, and Windows 10. Originally I preferred 8.1 but am now very happy with 10, and the 1010 is a great machine for the same price at Amazon, including the add on keyboard.

Someone asked about video playback in another thread and I posted a video of mine playing three different HD videos at the same time, all playing perfectly. It's a great machine. The one weak spot is the speakers which are not that powerful and oddly positioned, but perfectly okay at home.

As for "only 32gb storage" you can do what I did and add a 128gb micro SD card for £40. Because it's Windows it treats this exactly like any hard drive, so I have 160 gb of storage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    From the photos and description, and Windows 8.1, it looks like last years model Linx 10...

That link (post #2) was not the model the OP was looking at, it's an Android system.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    That link (post #2) was not the model the OP was looking at, it's an Android system.

Ahh, I was looking at the Windows one. My bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. I have had a couple of cheap tablets and they were OK for what i needed it for, although the last one broke really quickly, the first one got wet.

Windows tablet would work for me as all i need it for is video watching and web, screen quality is more important then OS
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dread the day my Hudl 2 dies - how Tesco managed to sell a 1080p tablet at the price they did is remarkable - hard to find a tablet with the same video/sound quality at a even a sub £200 price point. I'm a gadget fiend and would normally have gone for a tablet in the £300 price bracket because of the display but was so impressed with the Hudl 2 I bought my parents that I bought one too.

Surprised the South East Asian manufacturer isn't selling a version of it under another name to capitalise on those of us who want something similar post-Hudl 2.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Surprised the South East Asian manufacturer isn't selling a version of it under another name to capitalise on those of us who want something similar post-Hudl 2.

I'm amazed too. It had a great screen, exceptional speakers and was pretty fast - plus it had a card slot.

The only downside was/is a pretty weak battery but it wasn't that bad.

Now it seems that even Amazon has decided to cut back specs to the bone on entry level kit, and Acer, Asus and the like seem to have done the same.

I realise profit margins are low at this end of the market, but I really wouldn't want to shell out 100 quid on something with a low-resolution screen, a tiny speaker on the back, non-expandable memory and little to no chance of updates.

Tesco did support the Hudl devices with updates (albeit not super quick) so I was gutted when mine broke.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I dread the day my Hudl 2 dies - how Tesco managed to sell a 1080p tablet at the price they did is remarkable - hard to find a tablet with the same video/sound quality at a even a sub £200 price point. I'm a gadget fiend and would normally have gone for a tablet in the £300 price bracket because of the display but was so impressed with the Hudl 2 I bought my parents that I bought one too.

Yes. This. I can only assume Tesco was making a loss on it, and/or had some sort of exclusivity clause preventing the manufacturer from continuing to make them after they pulled out.

Even if it was making a loss at Tesco's price, I'd willingly go to £200 for a brand new Hudl 2 standard tablet, especially as almost all the current alternatives don't have HDMI out.

I think I'll be scouting ebay for Hudls for the forseeable future- hopefully someone has stashed a container load away somewhere.

1980s tech BNIB still comes up from time to time so hopefully the Hudl 2 will be available for a good while to come.

Are there any user groups online anywhere of the sort that exist for old Acorns and Amgias or is it too early for that I wonder?