2006, the Internets reaction to Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker

CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah saw this on Google Currents this morning.

I'm not against Affleck as Bats. In fact I'm rather curious to see their approach to it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I was thinking Affleck seemed an odd choice but look at Michael Keaton, he was known as a comic actor before Batman (eg Beetlejuice) but did a pretty good job.

On Wkipedia it says his real name is Michael Douglas, I didnt know that :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I know it's now been years since Heath Ledger's death but reading those posts just now still causes a pang. Ledger blew away EVERYONE with his performance of the Joker, no one expected he would be able to create the greatest Superhero villain ever seen in film.

That being said, Ledger had demonstrated phenomenal acting skills in several of his previous films, I'm not sure Affleck has done the same?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Well, at least they aren't being homophobic about Affleck (presumably because he's straight), but it's a slight improvement...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marly Z wrote: »
    I know it's now been years since Heath Ledger's death but reading those posts just now still causes a pang. Ledger blew away EVERYONE with his performance of the Joker, no one expected he would be able to create the greatest Superhero villain ever seen in film.

That being said, Ledger had demonstrated phenomenal acting skills in several of his previous films, I'm not sure Affleck has done the same?

I don't think anyone expected Ledger to be as amazing as the Joker as he was, probably not even himself. I remember vividly the fanboy backlash when he was announced and i have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed at the time either. He proved something with that performance.

Afflek has improved as an actor as he ages, but I still can't see him as Batman....I still just see Ben Afflek in a Batman costume.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When an actor takes on the role of Batman they're really taking on the role of Bruce Wayne. Batman is just a guy in a costume, anyone could play him. Bruce Wayne is a guy with a tormented soul, living with guilt, and constantly having to control his rage and sadness, all whilst the character himself is playing the role of a carefree playboy millionaire. That to me takes more acting skill than to play an unhinged lunatic, but as far unhinged lunatics go HL did do a great job, but then again so did Andy Robinson as Scorpio in Dirty Harry.

To be honest I don't think anyone has really done Bruce Wayne the full justice the character deserves (other than perhaps Kevin Conroy's voice). From what I gather Ben Affleck has had his own demons with addictions, so perhaps he can draw from his personal experiences and use his professional maturity to give a convincing performance as Bruce Wayne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Afflek has improved as an actor as he ages, but I still can't see him as Batman....I still just see Ben Afflek in a Batman costume.

But as the posts in the OP's link proves, most people just saw "a gay cowboy in Joker makeup" when Ledger was cast.

I've got faith in Affleck, considering he turned down the opportunity to star in and direct a Daredevil reboot for Fox recently, i think it's unlikely that he's agreed to star in this if he didn't feel he could pull it off. Let's face it, after this years awards season, he's surely able to pick and choose what he wants to do. Plus, considering how the Nolan trilogy has brought the Batman movie franchise back from the brink of death and turned it into a multi-billion dollar franchise, i hardly think Warner Bros will have cast him without feeling he was right for it, they're not going to want to shoot their golden goose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    But as the posts in the OP's link proves, most people just saw "a gay cowboy in Joker makeup" when Ledger was cast.

I've got faith in Affleck, considering he turned down the opportunity to star in and direct a Daredevil reboot for Fox recently, i think it's unlikely that he's agreed to star in this if he didn't feel he could pull it off. Let's face it, after this years awards season, he's surely able to pick and choose what he wants to do. Plus, considering how the Nolan trilogy has brought the Batman movie franchise back from the brink of death and turned it into a multi-billion dollar franchise, i hardly think Warner Bros will have cast him without feeling he was right for it, they're not going to want to shoot their golden goose.

I just can't see it right now. I and others have said pretty much everything you posted ad nauseum in other threads and posts already. This has been done to death and i dont disagree with the Heath Ledger thing, im not sire anyone can disagree with that analogy, its the most common rebuttal on the internet.

This doesn't change the fact that, right at this moment in time, its hard to imagine Ben Affelk as Batman and not Ben Afflek in a Batman costume.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Maybe thats partly because of Daredevil imo, I mean he was quite good as Matt Murdoch but looked dumb in the costume :)