Warning, Apple maps can kill!

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    I sure do ios has been crap since launch

I'm just amazed at what short memories some people have. The attached link is a demonstration of the first version of Android some 4 months after IOS was publicly demonstrated. It doesn't even have touch or wifi. I'm also amazed at the blinkered world of the extremist anti Apple community, but hey, ho

http://blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/2012/05/2007s-pre-m3-version-of-android-google.html
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Google Maps on the iPhone was totally crap to start with.. I think there are a good few people on here that forget this. It was also dire on the first few Andriod phones. It will get better and in the mean time there is an Andriod beating Google Maps app.

I think this all goes to show that Google and Apple can get along on some things. I still feel it was Google that caused this mess, with them not wanting to add features to the iOS inbuilt app. Cartography apps take time to perfect, Apple rushed it. However better that than to pay a company and be locked into another contract for a half arsed app that doesn't do what they wanted it to be doing.. Take the flak now but in a year or two we'll have forgotten all about it. Apple Maps shows better potential... No Street View is the only downside in the future.
    Forum Member
    And before I get shot down in flames by Swordman for the above post, as I undoubtedly will, let me hasten to add I am not an Android or Google hater. I own a Nexus 7 and an Android phone and would agree that Android is now the better O/S. However, I personally choose IOS because I don't particularly like the variety and fragmentation that Android brings. I like my UI to be totally predictable. Also, I happen to prefer the Apple ecosystem to the Google one. The point I was making though was please give Apple some credit for kickstarting the touch screen revolution.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this all goes to show that Google and Apple can get along on some things. I still feel it was Google that caused this mess, with them not wanting to add features to the iOS inbuilt app. Cartography apps take time to perfect, Apple rushed it. However better that than to pay a company and be locked into another contract for a half arsed app that doesn't do what they wanted it to be doing.. Take the flak now but in a year or two we'll have forgotten all about it. Apple Maps shows better potential... No Street View is the only downside in the future.

And if anybody knows anything about being locked in, it's Apple, they do it to all their iOS customers.
    Forum Member
    Apple Maps shows better potential... No Street View is the only downside in the future.

Agree. Even Street View is no big deal as it is something I tend to do as a totally separate exercise to navigation. No big deal to open a different app for that.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Google and apple are different.

Google are about advertisement revenue and branding / features like Maps etc are a very good tool. Look at all the business stuff you can get on there - a lot free. This in turn makes business turn to Google.

Apple are about ring fences, their product, their way, their brand.

It was probably more to do with Apple than Google regarding the removal of Apps. Google still need dispersal across all platforms so apps like this are essential.

Tim Cook is all about money now. not the user. ios6 proves this as well as the fingers up when the ipad4 came along. Apple know many idiots upgrade every single product cycle.... so.... make the upgrades more frequent.
    There were many idiots selling the iPad 3 to get the 4. - Apple love this and know this. iPhone 4,iPhone 4S - iPhone 5, iPhone5S

Oh come on! If you're going to have a pop at Apple, I don't think the fact that they update their products is a very good one.

Everyone updates their products - in fact, Apple have often been criticised in the past for falling behind their competition because they only really have the one phone which only gets updated once a year.

I doubt there were that many people who updated from an ipad3 to a 4.

And with the walled garden thing - I don't really think that's an issue for most users, if most users can pretty much do everything they would realistically need or want to do.

Its not like 20 years ago with the likes of AOL, where the walled garden concept meant providing a very limited subset of usability.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I'm a great fan of google maps but are you claiming that google maps is 100% accurate, and if not, that it shouldn't be used?

In my experience, I have found Apple Maps to be awful and Google Maps to be excellent.

Sure, some people have had good experiences with Apple Maps, with it actually having the correct location information, accurate POIs, etc.... but many people have not, hence the massive outcry over it after Apple launched it.

Yes, Google Maps has had issues, but it's been around a lot longer and in my experience is far more accurate.

Sure, Apple Maps will hopefully improve with time... but how long will that take? None of the woefully inaccurate POIs I reported months ago have been corrected yet.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    I'm just amazed at what short memories some people have. The attached link is a demonstration of the first version of Android some 4 months after IOS was publicly demonstrated. It doesn't even have touch or wifi. I'm also amazed at the blinkered world of the extremist anti Apple community, but hey, ho

http://blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/2012/05/2007s-pre-m3-version-of-android-google.html
    tdenson wrote: »
    And before I get shot down in flames by Swordman for the above post, as I undoubtedly will, let me hasten to add I am not an Android or Google hater. I own a Nexus 7 and an Android phone and would agree that Android is now the better O/S. However, I personally choose IOS because I don't particularly like the variety and fragmentation that Android brings. I like my UI to be totally predictable. Also, I happen to prefer the Apple ecosystem to the Google one. The point I was making though was please give Apple some credit for kickstarting the touch screen revolution.

Well obviously you will because you know your being silly early android was a little crap, hence my reference to 2010. Why you would bring a reference model to an os fight is beyond me ;)

since the release of true commercial android phones say Hero onwards there has been no competition and it was inevitable that a closed os could not compete with the flexibility of a full open os.

As I have said before I would never buy a PC etc that did not allow me to do what I wished or was still controlled by the manufacturer after my purchase, why then would I wish that in a phone.

I had not said that apple did not change the way the smartphone was viewed (although without 3g maybe not actually that smart) but that was more to do with its commercial success than it being truly fantastic.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    In my experience, I have found Apple Maps to be awful and Google Maps to be excellent.

Sure, some people have had good experiences with Apple Maps, with it actually having the correct location information, accurate POIs, etc.... but many people have not, hence the massive outcry over it after Apple launched it.

Yes, Google Maps has had issues, but it's been around a lot longer and in my experience is far more accurate.

Sure, Apple Maps will hopefully improve with time... but how long will that take? None of the woefully inaccurate POIs I reported months ago have been corrected yet.

I just find it strange that you think apple maps "hopefully" will improve but assume google maps will. For information a shop that appear in the middle of a roundabout in google maps I reported over 6 months ago, it hasn't moved yet. Am I to assume that google maps are crap on this basis?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously you will because you know your being silly early android was a little crap, hence my reference to 2010. Why you would bring a reference model to an os fight is beyond me ;)

since the release of true commercial android phones say Hero onwards there has been no competition and it was inevitable that a closed os could not compete with the flexibility of a full open os.

As I have said before I would never buy a PC etc that did not allow me to do what I wished or was still controlled by the manufacturer after my purchase, why then would I wish that in a phone.

I had not said that apple did not change the way the smartphone was viewed (although without 3g maybe not actually that smart) but that was more to do with its commercial success than it being truly fantastic.

Makes you wonder why customer satisfaction is so high for apple products.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell are people comparing a new OS being crap when it came on a brand new device to replacing a component on an OS with a crap version being the same thing? :confused:

Because a lot of people dont give a toss about filling in stupid questionnaires?

I never did when i had an iphone and i never will now i have an android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the hell are people comparing a new OS being crap when it came on a brand new device to replacing a component on an OS with a crap version being the same thing? :confused:

Because a lot of people dont give a toss about filling in stupid questionnaires?

I assume they take results from those who complete the surveys, not those that don't :rolleyes:

My comments and confusion rose from the claim that apple maps will always been seen as crap. Implying that they won't improve the app. I see no justification for that view and so questioned it.
    Forum Member

why does it make you wonder no mystery to me at all
    Forum Member
    I assume they take results from those who complete the surveys, not those that don't :rolleyes:

My comments and confusion rose from the claim that apple maps will always been seen as crap. Implying that they won't improve the app. I see no justification for that view and so questioned it.

you don't seem to see much justification that apple maps are crap full stop from what I can see
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Apple Maps shows better potential...

Where?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't seem to see much justification that apple maps are crap full stop from what I can see

Really? I've even said so.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Where?

Being so shite Apple Maps leave more room for development
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not quite sure how that would give any advantage to Apple, but hey, if there is reportedly something positive about Apple, whatever else, it can't ever just be because people actually have positive experiences with the company. That's rule number 1, right?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    why does it make you wonder no mystery to me at all

No mystery to me either - most Apple users are happy with their devices.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

You can't possibly know that unless you know every single one. What you are doing is bowing to what Apple want you to know.
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    You can't possibly know that unless you know every single one. What you are doing is bowing to what Apple want you to know.

What a stupid comment - of course you can know without knowing every Apple user - companies spend vast sums of money knowing how happy or not their customers are.

If you think you need to know every user to know something then how would any make know anything about what their users think?
    Forum Member

I agree most are probably very happy. I would imagine they are even happier still when apple tells them they are happy too.
    Forum Member
    I would imagine they are even happier still when apple tells them they are happy too.

Yeah, whatever :rolleyes:
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

they are. there are a few reasons for it beyond the obvious though. one is that if you spend that much money on something it's cost convinces you of it's value.

the other is that they are just not aware of the competition. if you've been with apple for the last two or three phones those five or six years has seen a huge change in the competition.

that video 50 reasons why the S3 is better than the iPhone 5 shocked a lot of iphone users.
    Forum Member
    What a stupid comment - of course you can know without knowing every Apple user - companies spend vast sums of money knowing how happy or not their customers are.

If you think you need to know every user to know something then how would any make know anything about what their users think?

Its not stupid at all. Whats stupid is to believe a company when they say most people are happy! Most i know are not or just tolerate it because they are stuck in contracts.

Not as clear cut as you think!