Options

Internet Explorer 10 now available for Windows 7

Comments

• Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Great, now I can access the British Gas top up website a few milliseconds quicker (they don't support Chrome or Firefox).

They do if you install the ie tab addons
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    mmm, some people just think it is faster, but most of the time it is not and if it is the difference is milliseconds.

No seriously, it's scrolling faster and generally zipping around.

I'm liking it so far!
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit stupid if they only support IE since people may have a Apple Mac or one of the tablets. i thought this only supporting IE had gone out years ago, shows how behind some companies still are.

I've found loads of sites dont work on tablets since getting one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised it's got spell checking.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmm, some people just think it is faster, but most of the time it is not and if it is the difference is milliseconds.

As you don't use it your just making things up lol, you don't know if its faster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I specifically installed the x64 download but processes are iexplore AND iexplore *32 ???
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if its running as in windows 8 .. 64bit mode can only work in "enhanced protection mode" on a desktop/laptop
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I've not had any problems with the desktop mode of IE10 on Windows 8. It seems quite a bit faster/smoother then IE 9.

And how is it compared to other browsers?
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Great, now I can access the British Gas top up website a few milliseconds quicker (they don't support Chrome or Firefox).

What era are they living in? Do they still think it's the 90s/early 00s when nearly every internet user used IE?
    ishAppy wrote: »
    At least it's moved on. Unlike safari.

How has Safari not moved on?
  • Options
    NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    This is fun, installed it on my work PC and after the reboot, Windows Update tells me IE9 is available to install. Reckon that could cause confusion/problems for WSUS users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    if its running as in windows 8 .. 64bit mode can only work in "enhanced protection mode" on a desktop/laptop

Which means 'no 3rd party plug-ins'? Does the desktop IE10 have built-in Flash a la Chrome?
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Does the desktop IE10 have built-in Flash a la Chrome?
    It does on Windows 8 but not on Windows 7. See for example http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2013/02/27/ie10-win7/1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    It does on Windows 8 but not on Windows 7. See for example http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2013/02/27/ie10-win7/1

Good article except;
    Thus far, Microsoft has not indicated whether it plans to bring Internet Explorer 10 to Windows Vista or earlier platforms.

I thought that at least WAS common knowledge :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 10 installed on my desktop OK but when I try to install on my laptop I get a long message ending:- windows 6.1-x86-en-us.en-us.exe is not a valid win32 application.
    Any ideas?. Laptop is running Vista.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    drdaws wrote: »
    Windows 10 installed on my desktop OK but when I try to install on my laptop I get a long message ending:- windows 6.1-x86-en-us.en-us.exe is not a valid win32 application.

Internet Explorer 10 is only available for Windows 8 and Windows 7, not Windows Vista.

Windows Vista is now out of mainstream support (Mainstream support: Ended on April 10, 2012), and now there is now only extended support for commercial users.
    For the home user though security updates will be available until extended support ends April 11, 2017 for Windows Vista
    But, this does mean that you should not expect any Microsoft product updates, like Internet Explorer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Internet Explorer 10 is only available for Windows 8 and Windows 7, not Windows Vista.

Windows Vista is now out of mainstream support (Mainstream support: Ended on April 10, 2012), and now there is now only extended support for commercial users.
    For the home user though security updates will be available until extended support ends April 11, 2017 for Windows Vista
    But, this does mean that you should not expect any Microsoft product updates, like Internet Explorer.

Thanks for info.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found loads of sites dont work on tablets since getting one.

That don't surprise me,
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    As you don't use it your just making things up lol, you don't know if its faster.

I never said it was not faster, i said that some people think things are faster and they are not.

I have used software that I think is faster than the old version and then after a couple of days, think, no, it is not really any faster.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said it was not faster, i said that some people think things are faster and they are not.

I have used software that I think is faster than the old version and then after a couple of days, think, no, it is not really any faster.

Well, that makes sense;) Think before you type noise lol
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    There are some subtle UI changes:
    - It now uses Windows 8 scrollbars in the main window (why on Windows 7 I ask), yet strangely not in other areas of the programme (for example the Favorites menu). Great bit of consistency MS.
    - Windows 8 type button on the Favorites menu, but not on other menus (for example the add-ons menu) - more fantastic consistency!
    - The Forward and Back buttons no longer have a gradient on them, they are now flat like Windows 8.
    - Likewise, tabs no longer have a gradient on them.
    - Unified Stop and Refresh buttons - its about f****** time!

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scrolling on mine (Windows 7 x64, IE10) now seems less 'chuggy' now whether that is because of IE10 or just that installing it has cleared out some cobwebs from IE9, I don't know or care!

Plus Point: No sign of metro!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    drdaws wrote: »

Windows 10? Where can I get a copy and is it better than Windows 8 or even worse, Vista? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 10? Where can I get a copy and is it better than Windows 8 or even worse, Vista? :D

HA HA That's a trick question as you can't get worse than Windows 8!
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Windows ME! and there is nothing wrong with Windows 8 :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Windows ME! and there is nothing wrong with Windows 8 :p

Now I liked Windows ME - But yes I do and did realise I was the only one on planet earth.
  • Options
    curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member

There is no windows 10 yet probably not for some years until after windows 9.