BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    However, the fact remains that in any show based on "real" sources or mythology, the female characters are going to take second stage to the males because that's how the original source material was written historically. Greek mythology is about the heroes not the heroines. The Three Musketeers is about the three musketeers and D'Artagnan with M'Lady providing a strong female character alongside both Constance and Queen Anne.
    But these are stories written hundreds, sometimes thousands of years ago. When attitudes to women were obviously very different than they are today. And unless you're going for a completely authentic adaption of the original story/legend, then why would you want to shackle yourself with those outdated ideals? Merlin took all sorts of liberties with the legends, and yet as far as female characters went, there didn't seem to be any effort to think outside the box. And so Morgana was a one-note villain and Guin was a generic love interest.

To be honest though, that wasn't the point I was initially making in my original post. As yet, we don't know what sort of adaption this will be and how the women will be portrayed. But what we do know it that it's another male-led action/drama. Alongside Atlantis. Following Merlin. And Robin Hood. And Doctor Who (although fair play, that started 50 years ago, so I'll give that one a bye).

I just think it'd be nice to have one of these shows with a female protaganist, rather than all the female-led shows being dour detective/forensic dramas or some kind of medical occupation (on the same day, the Musketeers was announced, the BBC also announced a new show about a district nurse!) And yes, you can argue that most of these stories all had a male protaganist. But that's just those self-imposed limits again. So what? If history can't provide a female-character who who's more than just 'strong in character' :yawn: (and to be honest, I'm pretty sure it can), then make one up. Create something new.

It worked for that Miss Summers. And the lady in leather with the cool frisbee.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    But these are stories written hundreds, sometimes thousands of years ago. When attitudes to women were obviously very different than they are today. And unless you're going for a completely authentic adaption of the original story/legend, then why would you want to shackle yourself with those outdated ideals? Merlin took all sorts of liberties with the legends, and yet as far as female characters went, there didn't seem to be any effort to think outside the box. And so Morgana was a one-note villain and Guin was a generic love interest.

To be honest though, that wasn't the point I was initially making in my original post. As yet, we don't know what sort of adaption this will be and how the women will be portrayed. But what we do know it that it's another male-led action/drama. Alongside Atlantis. Following Merlin. And Robin Hood. And Doctor Who (although fair play, that started 50 years ago, so I'll give that one a bye).

I just think it'd be nice to have one of these shows with a female protaganist, rather than all the female-led shows being dour detective/forensic dramas or some kind of medical occupation (on the same day, the Musketeers was announced, the BBC also announced a new show about a district nurse!) And yes, you can argue that most of these stories all had a male protaganist. But that's just those self-imposed limits again. So what? If history can't provide a female-character who who's more than just 'strong in character' :yawn: (and to be honest, I'm pretty sure it can), then make one up. Create something new.

And my argument, same as it was before, is why should they just to create an artificial balance. If there isn't a strong female character in the story why the hell do they have to invent one for PC correctness' sake?

Plus, as I said before, I don't agree with your appraisal of Gwen as only a love interest and Morgana as a one-note villain. Their characters may have had less development towards the end of the show but that's down to the production team choosing to focus on the relationship between Arthur and Merlin. Both of the female characters in Merlin got far better treatment than they receive in any of the original source material.

Buffy might have been the titular character but that show was as much about the other characters as it was about her. Giles, Angel, Spike, the rest of the Scooby Gang, were all treated with the same respect as Buffy Summers. That, however, is down to the fact they had Joss Whedon at the helm and they were writing original material.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And my argument, same as it was before, is why should they just to create an artificial balance. If there isn't a strong female character in the story why the hell do they have to invent one for PC correctness' sake?
    We're kind of at cross purposes here. My fault, I kind of split the two issues. Also, wouldn't PC correctness be politically correct correctness? :p

Just so we're clear, the roles of female characters in established stories is a different issue. It's something I do have a problem with in some shows, but it's not the point I was trying to make here.

To reiterate, when I talked about creating new characters, I didn't mean in existing stories. I meant as a protagonist in a new show. And that's only if we're working on the basis that there aren't any famous female characters, historical or fictional, that such a show could be based on.

For some reason, US TV seems to find it a lot easier than we do. Aside from the aforementioned Buffy and Xena, there's been Nikita (twice!), Dark Angel, Alias, Dollhouse and more. Sure, some have been more successful than others and some have flat out crashed and burned. But they gave it a go.

The closest the BBC have come to a similar show in recent years would be last year's, Hunted. But even that was more of an attempt at a 'grown-up' Spooks type drama, as opposed to a straight up action/adventure show. And it was co-produced by a US network.

The BBC just seems very set in gender roles, as far as TV drama goes. When all's said and done, I'm not trying to change the world. Nor am I the poster boy for politically correct correctness. I'd just enjoy seeing the BBC produce a show or two that gave us a female heroine in the mold of Buffy or any of her peers, rather than always defaulting to the more obvious male action heroes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    I'd just enjoy seeing the BBC produce a show or two that gave us a female heroine in the mold of Buffy or any of her peers, rather than always defaulting to the more obvious male action heroes.

Fair enough, it is pretty much representative of the fantasy genre as a whole though, there's very few novels either with a female protagonist.
  • sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/04/first-images-bbc-onebbc-america-drama-series-the-musketeers/

Just found a pic of these Musketeers.
    Has anyone heard when this will air?
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/04/first-images-bbc-onebbc-america-drama-series-the-musketeers/

Just found a pic of these Musketeers.
    Has anyone heard when this will air?

Something missing in those pictures. The reason for their name. Musketeers used muskets first and foremost.,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member

Plus, as I said before, I don't agree with your appraisal of Gwen as only a love interest and Morgana as a one-note villain. Their characters may have had less development towards the end of the show but that's down to the production team choosing to focus on the relationship between Arthur and Merlin. Both of the female characters in Merlin got far better treatment than they receive in any of the original source material.

Buffy might have been the titular character but that show was as much about the other characters as it was about her. Giles, Angel, Spike, the rest of the Scooby Gang, were all treated with the same respect as Buffy Summers. That, however, is down to the fact they had Joss Whedon at the helm and they were writing original material.

I agree, there doesn't need to a balance between the male and female if the story doesn't call for it. The Three Musketeers is about male swordsmen. Why would anyone create a female musketeer when it never existed in original story line.

I thought Morgana was better used in the first three seasons of Merlin. After she became a villain, she became very one dimensional and used for one purpose and one purpose only. Gwen and Gaius were used as much as the story line permitted. Merlin was really about the relationship between Arthur and Merlin. It was that way in the beginning and it ended that way. I agree, I think Gwen and Morgana got fair treatment in the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    I agree, there doesn't need to a balance between the male and female if the story doesn't call for it. The Three Musketeers is about male swordsmen. Why would anyone create a female musketeer when it never existed in original story line.

I thought Morgana was better used in the first three seasons of Merlin. After she became a villain, she became very one dimensional and used for one purpose and one purpose only. Gwen and Gaius were used as much as the story line permitted. Merlin was really about the relationship between Arthur and Merlin. It was that way in the beginning and it ended that way. I agree, I think Gwen and Morgana got fair treatment in the series.

The Queen of Swords was Zorro from a female point of view that treated it's heroine in a realistic way that never depicted her stronger than her male opponents but more skilful and using the element of surprise and when the odds got to great ran away. although she did take on the whole garrison on two occasions. it was one third British and had numerous British actors.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    First pic of Capaldi:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BN3J0OnCEAAfczK.jpg:large

(tweeted by Maimie McCoy)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First pic of Capaldi:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BN3J0OnCEAAfczK.jpg:large

(tweeted by Maimie McCoy)
    So this version of The Three Musketeers will involve sunglasses and Beach Volleyball?

Guess they are aiming for the same level of historical accuracy as The White Queen. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something missing in those pictures. The reason for their name. Musketeers used muskets first and foremost.,

The actual musketeers might have done but those in Dumas' novels pretty much always swished their swords about :)

Even the "official" statue of Charles de Batz-Castelmore d'Artagnan found in Maastricht (where he died) shows him with a sword.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Peter Capaldi is going to be doubling up, Doctor Who as well as appearing in The Three Musketeers :)
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Am wondering if Capaldi will feature in a potential second series of the Musketeers if he is now the Doctor.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am wondering if Capaldi will feature in a potential second series of the Musketeers if he is now the Doctor.

Presumably if he's having to spend 8-9 months next year in Cardiff filming DW, it's unlikely.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

Doubt it. I'd say his character is killed off in The Musketeers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Doubt it. I'd say his character is killed off in The Musketeers.

Filming for this started in March this year so I suspect Capaldi's not going to have taken on the role of Doctor Who unless his commitment to Musketeers is finished or is going to be reduced enough for him to film both series'.
    At the moment we don't know if TM is going beyond the initial first series of 10 episodes of 60 minutes long but, if it does prove successful, I don't think it would be difficult or impossible for Capaldi to film his scenes as Cardinal Richelieu for TM as it appears to be filmed and produced at a different time to Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Filming for this started in March this year so I suspect Capaldi's not going to have taken on the role of Doctor Who unless his commitment to Musketeers is finished or is going to be reduced enough for him to film both series'.
    At the moment we don't know if TM is going beyond the initial first series of 10 episodes of 60 minutes long but, if it does prove successful, I don't think it would be difficult or impossible for Capaldi to film his scenes as Cardinal Richelieu for TM as it appears to be filmed and produced at a different time to Who.

It doesn't really. Doctor Who schedule is usually a 9 month run. It's just that *cough* it's hardly ever on any more, and the gaps between seasons are getting longer and longer.

Does anyone know when shooting wraps on season one of The Musketeers? Capaldi is in the UK at the moment, and he wasn't sporting his moustache and beard, so he doesn't seem to be shooting it at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    The first on-set action shot of the Three Musketeers is released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/musketeers-action-shot.html

I wonder if Twenty Years After will be adapted if this production is a success. Personally, I much prefer that chapter of the d'Artagnan Romances. The older, timeworn d'Artagnan is a much more compelling character and the others too, especially Athos.
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    With 3 Musketeers, is it the Beeb's intention to have Saturday nights covered now for the period Sept - June? They coudl well do by alternating Atlantis / 3 Musketeers and Doctor who.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this gonna be a one off series like how The White Queen was or will be there more seasons if proven to be a ratings winner?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this gonna be a one off series like how The White Queen was or will be there more seasons if proven to be a ratings winner?

Not sure, at the moment it's a 10 episode series with each episode being an hour long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just watched the trailer for this. Looks like it could be quite good.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,459
    Forum Member

It's clearly designed to be a long running, returning series if the ratings are good enough. The best information I've seen on it comes from an interview with the writer, Adrian Hodges, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/24383564

Confirms that they would be looking for a new villain to star in a potential second series, and also indicates that the series is rather more adult than Merlin or Atlantis (as the trailer seems to verify). It's slated to begin between the 18th and 24th January, according to the BBC Media Centre website, with a Sunday 9pm slot looking likely.

I have to say, the trailer has hooked me in. Looking forward to trying it out. If it succeeds, it could be a really refreshing change of pace for BBC Drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a540584/the-musketeers-first-trailer-released-for-bbc-one-drama.html

Looks good, maybe more adult oriented. No muskets but they have had them in other publicity photoes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the trailer for this. Looks like it could be quite good.

Yes I caught the trailer last night and was cautiously optimistic :)