Madonna - MDNA 1st anniversary

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
Forum Member
Madonna's 12th studio album has been out for one year on 26th March. And one year later I think the album is good and has some great songs on it. But It's not on the same level as Confessions on a Dance floor. It's mad to think how fast the MDNA era has flown by! And I can't wait for album 13! I think it's going to be something big ;) ....

Stand out tracks for me are:

I Fu***d Up
Some Girls
Love Spent
Gang Bang
Masterpiece

What do you guys think about MDNA one year on?

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved loved loved it at first. But listening to it back, it has about 4 good songs. Those being

Gang Bang
    Love Spent
    Masterpiece
    I Don't Give A

Solid enough album overall I guess.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this on sale in Head, Bristol for £2.00 yesterday. I still didn't buy it:p
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    I still really like it .... it is better than Hard Candy ... it is a real mixed bag of styles and tunes....something for every Madonna fan .......but they blend fairly well as an album. It is an earworm album .... and each time I notice something new

my faves are: Beautiful Killer, Some Girls, Masterpiece, Gang Bang, I`m Addicted, Love Spent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it been a year already!? :eek: means that its almost a year since the tickets for the tour went on sale!

My favourites were
    Girl Gone Wild
    Gang Bang
    I'm Addicted
    I Don't Give A
    Masterpiece
    Forum Member
    I think my only gripe with the album was it was clearly intended to be more of a hits collection of pop songs than a critcs pleasing album.... and some production values were rushed due to time restraints...as Orbit had said. The more generic pop releases were the singles released and in my opinion certain remixes should have been the official single release as they were better recordings.... i.e.
    Girl Gone Wild (Justin Cognito Remix) or (Offer Nissim Mix)
    Superstar (Starlight Mix)
    Materpiece (Kid Capri Mix)
    Turn Up The Radio (Richard Vission Speakers Blow Mix)

But it remains a good pop album...one year on....
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Girl Gone Wild, Masterpiece, Beautiful Killer and Falling Free are my favourites. The album is n owhere near her best though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    1 year later...I've realized it's one of the least memorable Madonna albums/ eras tbh. The only songs that I still like are 'Gang Bang' and 'I Don't Give a...'. I hope her next album is a return to form tbh.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit forgettable, catchy enough bu twith no overall standouts its an album you put on when getting to ready to go out and no real attention needs to be paid to it. Would i say it's her best no i'd even rank it lower than Hard Candy.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I really love Masterpiece, she sings it so well.

My other faves are I'm Addicted and Some Girls.

It would be brilliant if she made more ballads next time as her voice really suits them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I think I'm the only one (or one of few) who actually really likes this album. I have to admit, though, that it's divided into two distinct groups of songs, some really, really great songs, and some of the worst crap she has ever recorded.

My favorites are I'm Addicted, Masterpiece and Beautiful Killer, and the least liked are Some Girls and Superstar, they're really bad, corny, cheesy, you name it. :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I got this album for my birthday last year and it was the second Madonna album I owned (first being Celebration). I loved it then and still love it now. This was the first Madonna era/album that I experienced as a fan.

Favourites being:

Girl Gone Wild
    I'm Addicted
    Some Girls
    Give Me All Your Luvin'
    Masterpiece
    Love Spent
    Gang Bang
    Beautiful Killer
    I Don't Give A...
    Falling Free
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Gosh, I got this album for my birthday last year and it was the second Madonna album I owned (first being Celebration). I loved it then and still love it now. This was the first Madonna era/album that I experienced as a fan.

Favourites being:

Girl Gone Wild
    I'm Addicted
    Some Girls
    Give Me All Your Luvin'
    Masterpiece
    Love Spent
    Gang Bang
    Beautiful Killer
    I Don't Give A...
    Falling Free

MDNA absolutely had it's good moments, except for the travesty that was B Day Song - however i won't be giving MDNA another start-finish run for a while, cos i just got the Complete Studio Albums boxset and i'm going through it, in tandem with Lucy O'Brien's Like An Icon biography (... i'm just one track away from finishing Like A Virgin :D)
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gang Bang - Does she sing about taking 10 cocks in an orgy? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A year on...crikey!! I still feel it was an album...while all round is very, very good...it has so much unfulfilled potential...and again as Orbit reiterated several times over....the time spent on the MDNA album and project lead to its early/ultimate demise ...i mean you see songs like Beautiful Killer, gang bang, Im Addicted, I Dont give A, Some girls, Love Spent and Im A Sinner and you think....why on earth were they not used and released as singles instead?

The whole campaign was simply absurd....but if nothing else....MDNA proved that she could sell a couple million, sell out a world tour and get her name everywhere by literally...name alone...and presence.....BUT...i do hope notes have been taken on where she can head next.

MDNA as an album seemed to tick all the right commercial centric/Pop boxes as well as a bit left-of-centre pop...like someone else said...MDNA is divided in halves...the commercial feel goo "unapologetically happy" material and the intense, confessional, experimental aspects......and it is that half that is the most interesting.....lets see where she can take it for albm 13....but...

Promo is key, the right material is key, access to widespread audience is a massive player and imagery/cohesive identity for the album for the first time ever was off key for this album/era! BUT what i am most pleased about is that MDNA spoke for itself too....which Madonna has always done so well....ever since her debut album release in 1983, Madonna has always ensured her music sells itself and peope make their own minds up about it rather than primal forcing in ears!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gang Bang - Does she sing about taking 10 cocks in an orgy? :D

Funnily enough this has to be the first time ever Madonna used a title as a double/triple....10uple in your case, entendre for a song and not the lyrical content or production which she has made her name for in the past....

It was something she noted in the Erotica era when MJ wanted her to co-write In The Closet with him and she said "you do know what in the closet means right?" he wanted the title as the double meaning and not the song, whereas Madonna ALWAYS writes multi-meanings in songs...so this was a massive change up for her i feel....even using expletives in the title (I F-cked Up) notably for the first time too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    What I think, is that if the likes of Rihanna or Katy had put out this album, it would have been critically acclaimed. It's catchy and it's fun. But Madonna is so much more. Her music is so much better than this, so it's a let down.

I do really like the songs, but they are so generic and obviously this is due to time constraints and obviously being under a huge amount of pressure to have something to tour quickly.

I completely agree with Josh though, her lack of promo was a massive burden. MDNA could have done so much better with some talk show appearances. She promo'd W.E more than the album.

But the single choices were ridiculous. I love Turn up the Radio as a catchy, riding in the car and singing song, but it is not a single. It is not strong enough.

Girl Gone Wild is my guilty pleasure. I expected more from it as a single if I'm honest, but Madonna is such an amazing artist, I suppose everyone expects more.

Over all, It's a good pop album, it's a mediocre Madonna album.

Masterpiece is the most beautiful song I have ever heard and will forever remind me of Summer 2012. That in itself ranks MDNA as a fantastic album in my eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MDNA absolutely had it's good moments, except for the travesty that was B Day Song - however i won't be giving MDNA another start-finish run for a while, cos i just got the Complete Studio Albums boxset and i'm going through it, in tandem with Lucy O'Brien's Like An Icon biography (... i'm just one track away from finishing Like A Virgin :D)

Oh my gosh, I bought the Complete Studio Albums boxset last year with my birthday money for £27 in HMV. I remember staying up late every night listening to each album. My god it was great. I know what you mean about B-Day Song, as well as Best Friend and Superstar...
    Forum Member
    I think people forget that it was written, recorded and produced during preparation for a SuperBowl Performance; to the latter part of her first direction of a movie and for a contractually scheduled 2012 tour. At this point there was no record deal.... and she surprisingly signed an album deal with interscope. This was her biggest career mistake. Awful greedy misognstic label in my opinion. No regard for the artistry or musicanship but for the money. They made the decision not to promote the album and chose singles to be released, relying on tour hype. Thank goodness for her Live Nation contract. And the amazing success of the Superbowl, Golden Globe for Matserpiece and the great Tour! MDNA era afterall was a success. But no thanks to the record label.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember pre-ordering it from itunes and then they f*cked it up and I got it a day late! Ooh I was raging!
    Like others have said, it's a good pop album, but an average Madonna album, she is usually a lot more creative and whilst I enjoyed MDNA, we know that she is capable of so much more than just following the current trend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I think, is that if the likes of Rihanna or Katy had put out this album, it would have been critically acclaimed. It's catchy and it's fun. But Madonna is so much more. Her music is so much better than this, so it's a let down.

I do really like the songs, but they are so generic and obviously this is due to time constraints and obviously being under a huge amount of pressure to have something to tour quickly.

I completely agree with Josh though, her lack of promo was a massive burden. MDNA could have done so much better with some talk show appearances. She promo'd W.E more than the album.

But the single choices were ridiculous. I love Turn up the Radio as a catchy, riding in the car and singing song, but it is not a single. It is not strong enough.

Girl Gone Wild is my guilty pleasure. I expected more from it as a single if I'm honest, but Madonna is such an amazing artist, I suppose everyone expects more.

Masterpiece is the most beautiful song I have ever heard and will forever remind me of Summer 2012. That in itself ranks MDNA as a fantastic album in my eyes.

I think you sum it up a lot more there too Omar, thanks though :)

But i do feel MDNA in comparison to so many in Pop right now sounds ahead, but mainly due to the fact Madonna has 16 different songs with 16 different flavours and no cohesive and direct concept for it to follow....Hard Candy i rank on the same level near enough...but at east it was cohesive and had a direction.

And totally W.E was her main priority because EVERYONE buys a musicians music releae, no one will buy a musicians film unless it is explained to them why they should...the result there was mixed too...but it did far better than had she not have...or would it?? i am unsure...and we will never know.

Also the backlashings in some of media felt a bit harsher....possibly due to her lack of presense...i mean there is always some minority speaking bile in different media outlets...but not as persistent as during the MDNA era....again i feel it was a lack of persistent promotion, no hit out in the world and MDNA treated like Pop mediocrity as opposed to..yeah its a MADONNA record.

So yeah so many aspects that...most importantly i hope they clear for the next album/era....and certain they will :)
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still love it all; only Superstar feels a bit 'coasty' with it's too-many 'ooh la la' refrains, as it did to me back then; but even that's not to say that I don't 'like' it as such :cool:

Oh and the 'Party Rock' GMAYL remix belongs where LMFAO have now gone - but fortunately since it's tacked onto the very end, one can simply pretend it isn't there :)

Only this morning I watched the GMAYL and GGW videos (again) and thought how amazingly cheeky and just damn slick and unfussily entertaining they are!! And how sad the set of circumstances is that conspired against the single material ever standing a chance commercially. (Within that, to me, the tracks bemoaned so often as not having been released weren't 'commercial' tracks that would have stood a chance in the charts either, I do genuinely feel they picked the 'poppiest' they could but it's just wasn't to be as far as the single-buying demographic now goes :cry:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member

I get your point, but I think you're pushing it a little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I think you sum it up a lot more there too Omar, thanks though :)

But i do feel MDNA in comparison to so many in Pop right now sounds ahead, but mainly due to the fact Madonna has 16 different songs with 16 different flavours and no cohesive and direct concept for it to follow....Hard Candy i rank on the same level near enough...but at east it was cohesive and had a direction.

And totally W.E was her main priority because EVERYONE buys a musicians music releae, no one will buy a musicians film unless it is explained to them why they should...the result there was mixed too...but it did far better than had she not have...or would it?? i am unsure...and we will never know.

Also the backlashings in some of media felt a bit harsher....possibly due to her lack of presense...i mean there is always some minority speaking bile in different media outlets...but not as persistent as during the MDNA era....again i feel it was a lack of persistent promotion, no hit out in the world and MDNA treated like Pop mediocrity as opposed to..yeah its a MADONNA record.

So yeah so many aspects that...most importantly i hope they clear for the next album/era....and certain they will :)

I can only speak for myself but at the time you wouldn't even have known there were new singles coming out because of the zero amount of promotion. It was shocking.

I do have faith in the next era definitely. I mean she is already working on it and has been for a good while, so not a rush job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very good point. I'd have liked it better if it had been anyone else. I expect something more from Madonna. I want a classic album every time - which I got with every album up to 2005. I felt that this was an updated version of those dreadful 'early years' songs like 'Cosmic Climb' and 'Wild Dancing', or whatever they were called.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I'm considering buying the complete studo albums 1984-2008, I've only got MDNA and Celebration so I think I need to expand my Madonna repetoire lol, I know most fans say that before Hard Candy (which I have heard briefly) she was amazing, which of course I know because of Celebration, but to listen to all the original albums for the first time would be a magical experience I think.