Options

Is John Leslie's career irretrievably up the spout?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I noticed another John Leslie sex n' drugs expose in the News of the World (?) on sunday. Do you think that there is any way he can rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the press?

Do you think the public share this apparent loathing of JL, or do you think he's simply become the tabloids whipping boy (after all, I'm sure journalists must know about many celeb sex & drug shenanigans that they choose not to report)?

Could an appearance on something like celeb BB turn things round for John Leslie?

I was musing on the different ways the press treat Leslie and George Michael: Leslie is treated like an outcast, whilst GM is treated almost affectionately (a sort of 'oh no[shake of the head and a small smile]! George is at it again' sort of attitude).

Comments

• Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can but hope...
  • Options
    pairofpantspairofpants Posts: 7,098
    Forum Member
    No, I don't think his career is over, although as artless says we could certainly do without it. Like Lazarus returning from the dead, in showbiz absolutely anything can happen.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,706
    Forum Member
    I don't think Leslie could turn it all around, just can't see it at all.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe the bloke - both as a TV presenter and in terms of his alleged 'sleaziness'. That aside, I do think the way he was vilified by the press due to that rancid, evil old witch Ulrika, was unacceptable.

He might just swing it with an appearance on Celeb BB but anything else would fall flat. He can always do the rounds of the Celeb shows but in terms of presenting, and in particular presenting on family shows, his career is over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loathe the bloke - both as a TV presenter and in terms of his alleged 'sleaziness'. That aside, I do think the way he was vilified by the press due to that rancid, evil old witch Ulrika, was unacceptable.

He might just swing it with an appearance on Celeb BB but anything else would fall flat. He can always do the rounds of the Celeb shows but in terms of presenting, and in particular presenting on family shows, his career is over.

Ooh I hope he's on the new CLI!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I personally don't want to see his smarmy face, Angus Deayton got kicked off an adult show over his antics (fair enough he is back now) no he won't be back, might see him on the Travel Channel, Magalufs hot deals of the day or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm sure all the laydees would be pleased :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Inspired casting there if I may say so :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trendygirl wrote:
    Inspired casting there if I may say so :D

Him and Darren Day - what a pair! We can only imagine the depths of humiliation that would await them both!
  • Options
    Forum Member

As entertaining as it might be, there's just no way that they could risk it, even if the allegations against him were ahem, proven to be unfound :rolleyes:
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Maybe Abi could put a word in for him now she's in the theatre, doing proper acting and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Him and Darren Day - what a pair! We can only imagine the depths of humiliation that would await them both!

A better idea would, perhaps, be some kind of cast away
    i.e.without the staff, the butler and the perks, more of a IACGMOOH but on an island in the middle of nowhere.

Rescue - optional :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote:
    A better idea would, perhaps, be some kind of cast away
    i.e.without the staff, the butler and the perks, more of a IACGMOOH but on an island in the middle of nowhere.

Rescue - optional :rolleyes:

Just him and an island full of monkeys? I doubt he would be able to control the libido even then :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just him and an island full of monkeys? I doubt he would be unable to control the libido even then :eek:
    Brilliant, two for the price of one, they could combine with Pet Rescue :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member

Let's jolly well hope so.
  • Options
    Paul CalfPaul Calf Posts: 37
    Forum Member

I don't know about John Leslie. I imagine that he might have been (at the height of his This Morning heyday) quite an arrogant, sleezy, sexist nasty piece of stuff who was used to getting what he wanted. Sure, he was caught on camera snorting the old marching powder and he may have a preference for threesomes, video sex and the kind of stuff that makes me think of surburban couples of a certain age flinging their car keys into the bowl in the late 1970's but I still feel he was a victim of a horrendously vicious press and media witchhunt that led to a spectacular and probably irreversible fall from grace. Do I think he can recover his career..? Probably not. The recent story by his ex-fiance who he allegedly callously dumped because she found herself accidently pregnant with his child did his future career aspirations no good either. Perhaps a career on UKGold......ITV2...?
  • Options
    thepeacockthepeacock Posts: 106
    Forum Member

Never been convicted of anything. Innocent until proven.....

Celebs who have convictions you must hate:
    Stphen Fry
    Jonny Vaughn
    Mick Jagger
    Esther Rantzen
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    There are three words that could re-invigourate his career....

Celebrity, Big & Brother. :(

ps. I've always hated the guy since I met him (before he was on Blue Peter).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone remember the infamous PopBitch expression about him, which I think they made into a T-shirt? It took the form of an indelicate question:

'***s or face?' :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    thepeacock wrote:

Stphen Fry
    Jonny Vaughn
    Mick Jagger
    Esther Rantzen

Why must I hate any of those people? I never said I hated John Leslie due to a conviction. I thought he was a slimy sleazeball donkey's years ago when he was hanging on to Catherine Zeta Jones, and nothing he has done since then has caused me to change that view, but I can't find in my previous post anywhere where I said I hated him because he's got a conviction.
  • Options
    macsgirlmacsgirl Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thepeacock wrote:

Stphen Fry
    Jonny Vaughn
    Mick Jagger
    Esther Rantzen

But the allegation was there and mud usually sticks.

I will say this, the way he was 'outed' by Matthew Wright and what he went through with the press witchhunt was wrong. If there was any 'rape' Ulrika should have gone to the police right away.
    Instead she chose to keep quiet in the interests of keeping her own career on track.

At the end of the day Leslie is a sleazy bloke who loves sex with drugs and filming his lovers while they're at it. Who this Rhodri bloke is that he's been having threesomes with in the story in the sunday papers, I've no idea!
    What he does is in the privacy of his own home, and while I don't condone drug use, it's his problem if his septum comes adrift one day, and it isn't really in the public interest to publish this stuff. If he keeps getting found out, and the women involved decide to sell their stories, he'll never get back on TV.

And as to Stephen Fry, Johnny Vaughn, Mick Jagger and Esther Rantzen, Fry's conviction was when he was very young, JV isn't a drug runner (?) any more, Jagger's conviction was donkey's years ago, and Rantzen's (obstructing the pavement wasn't it?) is just a joke. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way the press treated him, was out of order. But i know for a fact what a sleazy piece of work he is. The fact that he does drugs and has threesomes, isn't unusual in his industry therefore I wouldn't slate him for that. But I know that he is a man who thinks he's gods gift to women, and does perservere quite a lot to try and get his way.

Having said that, he's no worse than a normal run of the mill guy who goes down the pub on a Friday night and when he's pissed, letches onto women at the end of the night. He's just in the public eye doing it instead.
  • Options
    leicesterblokeleicesterbloke Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he apparently got someone "up the spout" to quote the OPs title and legged it. He is a rat.
  • Options
    macsgirlmacsgirl Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we back with your little obsession with men who run away leicesterbloke?
    Did your dad do it to you?
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    ruffalo wrote:
    The way the press treated him, was out of order. But i know for a fact what a sleazy piece of work he is. The fact that he does drugs and has threesomes, isn't unusual in his industry therefore I wouldn't slate him for that. But I know that he is a man who thinks he's gods gift to women, and does perservere quite a lot to try and get his way.

Having said that, he's no worse than a normal run of the mill guy who goes down the pub on a Friday night and when he's pissed, letches onto women at the end of the night. He's just in the public eye doing it instead.

I'm not defending J.L, but the 'normal' bloke down the pub who pushes it too far would probably find himself with the lady's knee firmly in his goolies, or slapped, HARD or beaten up by the lady's brother/whatever -
    he wouldn't find himself in all the paper's because the lady had sold her story.

Having said that, John Leslie should know better by now than to put himself in a position where there is any 'story' to be sold.