BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    5Live have a trailer promoting themselves 'where news comes to life', but currently it is of a snatch of the interview with the lonely 80+yr old lady who said in very emotional tones about how lonely she was.

It was a powerful news item at the time and of course relevant, BUT - to use it subsequently in a self-promoting trailer makes me very uneasy. Not sure that is right.

I heard this and I thought exactly the same as you - really tasteless from 5live.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I heard this and I thought exactly the same as you - really tasteless from 5live.

I agree. I heard the original interview and she became much happier and chatted away towards the end of the interview, but they choose to play that part.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't initially give this much thought when I heard it except that it wasn't comfortable listening,, but now that I have thought about it I think basically 5 Live has exploited the woman by using that interview to promote the station.

I don't take an interest in the awards presenters and radio stations get. I just know Gaunty got 3 sony awards in 1 night because he said so every day when he was on Talksport. However, I hope none of 5 Live's awards have been achieved through similar methods using the stories of people who have suffered rape, domestic or child abuse, etc.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't hear the original interview, but I have heard the promo and I agree. Very bad taste.

I wonder what the lady herself thinks of it.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they have to ask your permission if they use your contribution as a trailer/soundbite or is it an accepted rule that whatever you say becomes 'the property' of the station ?
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I accept baseball coverage is of minority interest in the UK, but surely so too are many of the various other items Up All Night broadcasts on a weekly basis that I have listed in my previous post.

The simulcasted coverage on Radio 5 Live only takes up a meagre amount of Up All Night's airtime in the grand scheme of things, a handful of hours once a year, so it's not as if it'll have a long-term impact on anything.

And if the BBC isn't there to serve people who enjoy minority interest things that it isn't always easy for the commercial sector to provide (as shown by the end of C5's coverage, not long after which 5 Live picked up there interest in the sport), then I'm not sure what it is there for. From previous discussions, I know you have a wider argument about coverage of any/most sporting event not impinging on what you deem to be Radio 5 Live's "normal" programming and I accept your opinion on that,

but as things stand Radio 5 Live is classed as a news and sports station and as such live sport that is either deemed to be a "major" event such as the final day of a golf Major or the business end of something that is primarily covered on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra like this, even if it falls outside of the usual weekend afternoon or 7-10.30pm sporting timeslots, under the terms of the BBC Charter.

Unless Radio 5 Live's remit is significantly adjusted I don't see this changing. And even in these days of the advancement of technology, I think it's important for live coverage of major sports events to be kept on analogue radio in some form rather than limited to DAB or online-only stations for people who don't have always access to the latter at all times.

I'm absolutely with the difference on this one droop.....I have zero interest in baseball personally but think is exactly what they should be doing.... but as said by me previously and difference does above...... the slogan "news and sport" is wrong on 5 live.....
    it's news and football and other bits of sport when there's no football on & then try and turn the conversation back to football at every given opportunity...... :(

If the BBC don't broadcast "minority" (and I hate that term football participation is minor compared to fishing....

why is a sport minority? Because less people play/watch it? If were on more audiences may rise-
    not on? Audiences low will stay low....
    Of course Americans football/
    baseball/basketball have massive audiences ....as do NASCAR.....so from viewings it's huge.....

Biggest ever UK outdoor sporting event? No not football world superbikes ....brands hatch in the Carl Fogarty era....around 124,000 people from memory.....not one bit of trouble or violence by the way.....mainstream coverage? Zero..... :(
    Not unpopular then.....

Anyway if BBC aren't the ones who should be covering (less well known) sports no one else will these days.....& as public funded they should be catering for more diverse sports....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to a bit of Stephen Nolan last night for weather reports ....... TWICE he said to guests,' just listen to yourself' when he disagreed with them.

A lady was trying to make a point about groups of youth standing on street corners being intimidating. Nolan was as usual aggressive and didn't allow her to develop the point she was making. I live in an area where large groups of young people hang around the local shops fighting, being abusive to people and causing trouble. The Police have recently had to move them on as they were causing so much hassle. I am sure that most of these youngsters on their own are decent enough kids but get them in a large group and it can be very worrying.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like VD is broadcasting from a toilet. Appalling sound quality. Clear as a bell when the travel lady speaks from Salford though.
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Anyway if BBC aren't the ones who should be covering (less well known) sports no one else will these days.....& as public funded they should be catering for more diverse sports....
    Yes, as I say, I accept that the BBC has a responsibility to produce high quality coverage of minority interests. But that does impinge (at the moment) on the more mainstream services. So again I say that such coverage should be on appropriate services - not mainstream ones.

So put it on Sports Extra, or R4 LW, like the cricket. Or could BBC local radio frequencies be used? Or could a Sports Extra 2 be added to the digital offer?

Under the present arrangement, part of the mainstream audience is being pushed away. During the baseball, I went off to LBC, for instance. (And fell asleep!)

Of course, should the BBC do exactly what you or I propose, the anti-Beeb brigade will start railing about huge expenditure on programming that too few people are interested in.

But just returning to the baseball coverage, it was already on Sports Extra, and it could have been on R4 LW, I suppose. And I guess there were American stations covering it - in English - with web streaming, and for a more authentic American experience, too. I would just love to know the listening figures for the Five Live analogue transmission.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to a bit of Stephen Nolan last night for weather reports ....... TWICE he said to guests,' just listen to yourself' when he disagreed with them.

This kind of thing really annoys about the BBC/5Live.There is absolutely no need for a supposedly impartial broadcaster to patronise and be rude to a caller on this level.A terrible attitude by a terrible presenter.

To my mind Grant Schapps is on the right track in criticising the BBC and with regards to getting its house in order and to be more transparent over disclosing salaries.As usual the BBC defends itself by saying it will not bow to political pressure but dismisses the view that many of the general public/listeners probably agree with him.
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual the BBC defends itself by saying it will not bow to political pressure but dismisses the view that many of the general public/listeners probably agree with him.
    I don't!

And I take seriously very little that Mr Shapps says, having looked into his history a little.

Apart from that, it is typical of the party in power to have a go at the BBC as renewal of the charter is coming up - not to mention a General Election. They will bring to bear any influence they can in an effort to have their policies reported on favourably. You could call it blackmail.

Beware of them all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    A terrible attitude by a terrible presenter.

Yeah, he's that terrible he's won TWELVE Sonys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like VD is broadcasting from a toilet. Appalling sound quality.

Appalling quality of her reading off a computer screen as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    droopsnout wrote: »
    Apart from that, it is typical of the party in power to have a go at the BBC as renewal of the charter is coming up - not to mention a General Election. They will bring to bear any influence they can in an effort to have their policies reported on favourably. You could call it blackmail.

Really ? Blackmail eh ? A strange observation . I can't recall the Labour Party having a right a good pop at the BBC over its refusal to disclose salaries and for being more open or if they did,they never followed it up.Well done Schapps for not being afraid to speak out.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    Just seen Pienaar's Politics is on at 9 p.m. tonight, instead of those repeats. I expect it's just a one-off as it was ousted by F1 this morning.

And what an excellent quality proramme Pienaar presented. People could learn how not to be patronising; not to interrupt or cut across Jon.
    I bet he cringes h aving to jointly host QT on five...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, he's that terrible he's won TWELVE Sonys

Everybody wins a Sony.... nothing exceptional about that. It's just the industry patting everyone on the back. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody wins a Sony.... nothing exceptional about that. It's just the industry patting everyone on the back. :rolleyes:

Robbie Savage ......did he not win a Sony ? :) Yeah he's a real quality broadcaster..:rolleyes:
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't hear the original interview, but I have heard the promo and I agree. Very bad taste.

I wonder what the lady herself thinks of it.

Perhaps the programme could have taken the point up with her son and grandson etc. etc. Both were over 21. Loneliness is terrible however it is not always the state's job to pick up the tab.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what an excellent quality proramme Pienaar presented. People could learn how not to be patronising; not to interrupt or cut across Jon.
    I bet he cringes h aving to jointly host QT on five...

Had the odious Alastair Campbell on though and let him do a promotion of his book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the odious Alastair Campbell on though and let him do a promotion of his book.

The BBC willingly give him a platform for anything.

Besides helping promote his books he's the first one they contact when the subjects up for discussion are alcoholism and mental illness.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The BBC willingly give him a platform for anything.

Besides helping promote his books he's the first one they contact when the subjects up for discussion are alcoholism and mental illness.

They should get him or Blair on when they need to talk about mass murder.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've posted about this advert over on the 5 Live Facebook page - let's see if they actually respond. I've more or less said the same thing as Ian.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should get him or Blair on when they need to talk about mass murder.

Every time I hear that car bombs have gone off again in Iraq I wonder to myself how Blair can live with himself and sleep at night...:(
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I've posted about this advert over on the 5 Live Facebook page - let's see if they actually respond. I've more or less said the same thing as Ian.
    I have heard it three times already today, lost count yesterday.

Perhaps they have the good Lady's permission,,,,,Still a bloody horrible listen and that includes that Bonny Tyler bilge as well.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dotun had the Gadget Detective on for the Up All Night phone in overnight between 1.30am and 3am, and the whole technology phone in was just ruined by never ending random interjections being read out about the non-weather event. Even every caller ringing in to ask a question about technology issues first had to give a response about the weather in their own area, and all of them were basically saying the same thing - not much happening and no storm! After a while of this it became hugely irritating. Adebayo was more interested in the weather than the guest and the phone in he was chairing, constantly cutting things dead in their tracks to mention the wind yet again. This is not the first time he has wrecked a potentially great and informative technology phone in with the Gadget Detective, Fevzi Turkalp.
This discussion has been closed.