Adobe Reader update

I was prompted to update Adobe Reader about 3 and a half hours ago and it is still installing. I can't remember other updates taking as long as this ...should I just persevere?

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    3½ hours is way too long, give up. Uninstall Adobe reader and then download the latest version here. Or uninstall Adobe reader and install Foxit reader here which does the same job and is not as bloated as Adobe.
    Whichever you choose to install don't forget to untick the unwanted add-ons or toolbars that they both come with.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Thank you,LION8TIGER.

Your advice and help is much appreciated.

:)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Foxit is good, I have not used Adobe reader for a couple of years now. the only problem I have with Foxit is the last update change the menus to Ms stupid ribbon system, ok it was easy enough to change back to normal menus, but since the last version I had was set to normal menus, you would have thought new version would have remembered the settings.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    yeah Foxit is good, I have not used Adobe reader for a couple of years now. the only problem I have with Foxit is the last update change the menus to Ms stupid ribbon system, ok it was easy enough to change back to normal menus, but since the last version I had was set to normal menus, you would have thought new version would have remembered the settings.
    Thanks,noise747!
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When setting up/fixing relatives Windows systems i usually use Sumatra PDF instead of Foxit or Adobe Reader. It's very light-weight.

If you only need to view/print PDFs from the web both Firefox and Chrome now include built-in PDF viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    When setting up/fixing relatives Windows systems i usually use Sumatra PDF instead of Foxit or Adobe Reader. It's very light-weight.

If you only need to view/print PDFs from the web both Firefox and Chrome now include built-in PDF viewers.

I have not used sumatra for a couple of years now. I think I had a problem with it not reading some PDF files. i expect that is updated now.

i don't know about firefox, but the reader that comes in Chrome is pretty naff to be honest. I disabled the plugin and use foxit instead
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Foxit is good, I have not used Adobe reader for a couple of years now.

One major problem it has is that it insists on a reboot after an update. Or at least it did for me on the last occasion. That was the final straw and I removed it. I was already using Foxit anyway but AR had been there from the start, so I just left it.
    the only problem I have with Foxit is the last update change the menus to Ms stupid ribbon system,

Yes, I warned about that a while back but I've gotten used to the ribbon now anyway from using recent versions of Office in various workplaces.
    ok it was easy enough to change back to normal menus, but since the last version I had was set to normal menus, you would have thought new version would have remembered the settings.

You should be grateful that they've left you with the choice - for now. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't know about firefox, but the reader that comes in Chrome is pretty naff to be honest. I disabled the plugin and use foxit instead

I don't know about the Chrome one, as I don't use Chrome that often but the Firefox one is naff. I disabled it and use Foxit instead.

So it seems they are both naff! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One major problem it has is that it insists on a reboot after an update. Or at least it did for me on the last occasion. That was the final straw and I removed it. I was already using Foxit anyway but AR had been there from the start, so I just left it.

I don't use AR because i got no need for it, I installed it a couple of years back, found it was slow and bulky, found another bit of software that did the job.

Never bothered with AR since.
    Yes, I warned about that a while back but I've gotten used to the ribbon now anyway from using recent versions of Office in various workplaces.

I hate it, thankfully in windows 8 I don't have to use it that much. I don't use office at home, and the version we got at work is pre-ribbon and i can't see it being updated for a long time. saying that, I don't use office at work that much myself. Most of the stuff I do is in IE with a database.
    You should be grateful that they've left you with the choice - for now. :)

If they did not give me the choice then I would find something else to use.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another for Foxit reader. A friend of mine was having problems with Adobe reader and I told him about Foxit reader and now swears by it as so do I. It is much much better than Adobe reader.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did not give me the choice then I would find something else to use.

It's that big a deal is it? Such that if everything else about the software was brilliant but it uses a ribbon that would be enough to move to something else?

Here's what I do in Foxit and Office.
    1. Once I've discovered a ribbon button for a commonly used function, I add it to the Quick Access toolbar.
    2. Then I hide the ribbon.

So essentially it's as though you just had one traditional standard toolbar, but with more vertical screen real estate since the toolbar is in the title bar.