Options

Mad Max: Fury Road

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Decided to finish work early, and call in to the cinema on the way home to watch it.

Epic!

Like a really colourful graphic novel come to life. The characters and vehicle designs are amazing. The cinematography is great, all tailing, swooping and diving cameras, making the war rig a character in its own right.

Even Jason Statham's missus is good, and she's usually as vacuous as an air-bubble.

Hardy's Max is a really erratic, manic, gruff, grunting nut job who has frequent hallucinations, which I loved.

A 100mph bone crunching-blockbuster with real character and heart, who'd a thought that in this day and age...

10/10
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Decided to finish work early, and call in to the cinema on the way home to watch it.

Epic!

Like a really colourful graphic novel come to life. The characters and vehicle designs are amazing. The cinematography is great, all tailing, swooping and diving cameras, making the war rig a character in its own right.

Even Jason Statham's missus is good, and she's usually as vacuous as an air-bubble.

Hardy's Max is a really erratic, manic, gruff, grunting nut job who has frequent hallucinations, which I loved.

A 100mph bone crunching-blockbuster with real character and heart, who'd a thought that in this day and age...

10/10

I was abit scepital about them bringing back a new mad max, but you've just sold to me,
    Can't wait to see it :)
  • Options
    heart break kidheart break kid Posts: 447
    Forum Member

Epic!

10/10

Good review - agree with every word!

Got massive respect for George Miller for this.

If I was being ultra picky I thought Hardy's accent was weird, but everything else about it was great. Particularly the vehicle design, stunt work, cinematography and character design. Immortan Joe was absolutely fu@#ing bad ass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one thing i did pick up on is that the plot...
    ...is essentially "Waterworld" i.e. "Drifter in apocalyptic wasteland ends up at a place after being captured, escapes with females and is pursued by the baddies. They are looking for a mythical refuge, but it isn't what they think, but end up finding safety eventually, before drifter leaves"
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing i did pick up on is that the plot...
    ...is essentially "Waterworld" i.e. "Drifter in apocalyptic wasteland ends up at a place after being captured, escapes with females and is pursued by the baddies. They are looking for a mythical refuge, but it isn't what they think, but end up finding safety eventually, before drifter leaves"

That plot was essentially The Road Warrior.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Weird and visually stunning. 10/10 - just needed a decent script and story. 2/10

Tom H, had a couple of lines, which I think I got...Charlize Theron was amazing - and for me, Nicholas Hoult was the star....:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    That plot was essentially The Road Warrior.

Lol - fair point. :D
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today, having never saw the originals. It felt like the middle of "From Dusk 'Till Dawn" for the entire film. I never lost that feeling of "What the f*ck am I watching? What is going on?". Insane! I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing TBH.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EELover wrote: »
    Saw it today, having never saw the originals. It felt like the middle of "From Dusk 'Till Dawn" for the entire film. I never lost that feeling of "What the f*ck am I watching? What is going on?". Insane! I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing TBH.

I had the same feeling but it was definitely a good thing.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Epic!

10/10

An instant classic by the looks of the reviews. I'm going to watch it Monday after work :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EELover wrote: »

The originals, to my mind, were essentially George Miller trying to establish his Mad Max vision with limited budget and limited special effects.

Fury Road feels like he has been unrestrained by that and that he has been able to deliver everything that he had going on in his head.

I imagine to a Mad Max newcomer they must be thinking "What the hell is this?" but there were a few nods to the originals so FR did feel sort of familiar to me, but at the same time it was bonkers, insanely original and fresh.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well...despite some reservations from the early trailers I enjoyed this a great deal.

It's full-on, balls-to-the-wall stuff.

And from the first few moments you get a sense that this is going to be epic stuff...the massive crowd scenes in the Citadel and the ancient machinery bring to mind echoes of MM3, and indeed I feel that this is the film that MM3 should have been.

But once the chase scenes start, this is where the films production design really comes into its own...the realisation of the vehicles is just insane...very reminiscent of the second movie, but on a massively expanded scale. And there's no CGI here, these rigs were built for real and they work. The 'music rig', with its drummers, wall of speakers and crazy guitarist with his flame spewing guitar is probably my fave.

And thankfully there is a story and a plot, and though there are probably 4 major action set-pieces/chase sequences, the film does take time to breathe, introduce the characters and flesh out the story. It's not a 2 hour, mindless chase movie.

It's possible some people may have an issue with the character of Max himself. He is almost a secondary character here...Charlize Theron's Furiosa certainly gets a meatier role, and Max does not have that much dialogue, and is also very much haunted and conflicted by visions of horror from his past.

But this is kind of consistent with his character in the second movie. Indeed that movie did not completely revolve around the central character, there was far more going on. Same here.

I would also say that the final chase sequence is as good as if not better than he climactic chase in the second movie.

The music is also excellent...there are echoes of Brian May's classic score in there, but also more modern, driving guitar/synth based tracks.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this for what it was. The ultimate summer blockbuster. Loved the chase scenes and the vehicle designs. Didn't feel like Tom Hardy got much of a chance to shine as Max but he did what was required. Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult were both impressive.
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Excellent, but it"s no Road Warrior.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is he supposed to be Mel Gibson's son or is it completely different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's possible some people may have an issue with the character of Max himself. He is almost a secondary character here...Charlize Theron's Furiosa certainly gets a meatier role, and Max does not have that much dialogue, and is also very much haunted and conflicted by visions of horror from his past.

But this is kind of consistent with his character in the second movie. Indeed that movie did not completely revolve around the central character, there was far more going on. Same here.

I agree with you on this. The concept of the Mad Max universe is one where each individual tale about a group of people is told from their point of view, with Max on the periphery, drifting in and out of their story. I like that though. Very pulp serial in nature.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Having never seen or known much about the originals at the start I was sort of sat there thinking wtf have I come to see but once you embrace the madness its brilliant. Probably one of my favourite films of the year so far.

One thing though. The little girl who Tom Hardy kept having flashes of, is that a throw back to an earlier film? Or is it just as it seems and he couldn't help someone previously and now he's gonna do his best for these ladies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having never seen or known much about the originals at the start I was sort of sat there thinking wtf have I come to see but once you embrace the madness its brilliant. Probably one of my favourite films of the year so far.

One thing though. The little girl who Tom Hardy kept having flashes of, is that a throw back to an earlier film? Or is it just as it seems and he couldn't help someone previously and now he's gonna do his best for these ladies?

He has a wife and son who are killed in the original if I remember correctly. I don't know who the little girl was, just an apparition to remind the audience that Max is indeed mad I think. :D
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going with a friend and she hasn't seen the previous Mad Max movies.. would this be a problem or doesn't it matter if you haven't seen the prequels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Going with a friend and she hasn't seen the previous Mad Max movies.. would this be a problem or doesn't it matter if you haven't seen the prequels?

You don't need to have seen or know anything about the previous Mad Max movies to enjoy this. It is a self-contained story and a very simple one to follow at that. Enjoy.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    He has a wife and son who are killed in the original if I remember correctly. I don't know who the little girl was, just an apparition to remind the audience that Max is indeed mad I think. :D

Thanks for this. I did wiki it but there was nothing about the girl so I was a little confused where she came from but that makes sense.
  • Options
    LiammaiLLiammaiL Posts: 55
    Forum Member

Its better
  • Options
    LiammaiLLiammaiL Posts: 55
    Forum Member

Its better
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    There's still some life left in the franchiise so George Miller should do a couple of prequels- one set during the war and one about the events leading to the collapse of society (like what's going on in this country now, prices're going up and wages aren't , benefits being slashed, the increase in food banks and austerity measures, people having no respect for the police and the polices' hands are tied together by do-gooders and soft judges and the erosion of democracy with the politicians banning protests in Parliament square and the homeless protest in Manchester city centre).
    but fourteen quid to see it in 3d at the IMAX and nine quid to see it in 2d at The Odeon????

What was I saying about price increases and austerity???
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I saw this at the weekend.

For the first 45 mins or so I was absolutely mesmerised by the whole thing. It was truly epic piece of film making; i'm not sure i've ever seen anything like it. It deserved every bit of praise it's been getting.
    However; once the chase get into full flow (after the canyon bit) i've got to say that I was bored. I have a very low tolerance for pure action sequences and it just went on for too long for me. I wanted some more plot, interesting character interaction, anything other than people shooting at a truck. When they got to the salt lakes i'd already had enough and I almost groaned out loud when he told them to go back.

Also I found Mad Max himself pretty boring, he didn't really have any character development beyond growing attached to the lingerie models in the rig.