Options

Currys; "We can't sell you Freesat unless you buy it with OUR installation"

Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else had this? Also being told that Sky Dishes wont work too.

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E-mail head office and tell them their staff are telling lies, and inform them that you've been onto Trading Standards.
    God I hate these #ankers!:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got one from Curry's last Wednesday without instalation after being told in Comet that we had to buy their instalation package.
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure what the point of the product is let alone the installation.
    Another pointless box in an already crowded confusing market.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digimon900 wrote: »
    The point is simple...a non subscription based satellite service....and Choice

Your statement is kinda like saying "I don't see the point with MAC's....Windows is here and is used by everyone"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digimon900 wrote: »
    in your services you say you have freesat,yet you call it a pointless box.?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I bought mine from comet's, they asked how many rooms it was for but i said i didn't need installation i just wanted the box, he had to ask someone but in the end they just sold me the box
  • Options
    bill6299bill6299 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Ive been told at on currys that I have to have them install the humax receiver also another currys here in west London told me that the only way that I could HD would be to buy one of their freeview tvs where the BBC transmit five HD channels.So I went to Comet and bought one there and it is fine.
  • Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currys in Belfast told me the same thing.

Had to have an argument. If you stand your ground and insist you will be able to buy the box, though that's no excuse for this behaviour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    As I mentioned in another thread, Currys at Merry Hill Centre in the Midlands said I could buy the Foxsat HD with half price dish installation as it was launch week. Half price installation was £100 !! God knows who's going to use them to put a dish up when that offer ends!

To be fair though they didn't mention it was compulsary when I said I had my own dish.
  • Options
    qpw3141qpw3141 Posts: 4,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your statement is kinda like saying "I don't see the point with MAC's....Windows is here and is used by everyone"

:D:D:D:D:D

Nice analogy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I printed out the relevant bit from the Freesat website when I bought my Foxsat from Comet, but didn't need to use it.
    I just said "no" when asked if I wanted the installation.
  • Options
    Rapture TVRapture TV Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    E-mail head office and tell them their staff are telling lies, and inform them that you've been onto Trading Standards.
    God I hate these #ankers!:mad:

This is a clear sign of either up selling by claiming you need the dish installation or its just misinformation.

If you have a Sky dish then you will not need a fitting or another dish. A freesat box will simply plug into the Sky dish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    qpw3141 wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

Nice analogy!

Why do we have buses when we can all pay for taxis?
    Why do we all buy houses when we can rent?
    Why do we shop around for anything in life?
    Why not allow Mr Murdokkkkk to supply everything and then we will have a one stop shop which wil be much better and simpler for the customer? won't it?

Simple answer choice.
    Without it we will all pay more.
  • Options
    qslikelyqslikely Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I'm sure no one is surprised by all this. It's been standard behaviour at DSG's and Comet as far back as I can remember. A not-insignificant number of their staff insist you have to buy 'add-ons', tell you their own products have such a short life expectancy that you'd be stupid to refuse an extended guarantee, deny models exist if they don't have them in stock, have no scruples when it comes to telling porkies to the uninformed, and generally say whatever it takes to make the sale as big as possible with as little effort as possible.
    My favourite example of Dixonballs: a few years ago I asked a spottyherbert, standing in front of a wall of distorted widescreen pictures, if it was possible to change the aspect ratio so that people etc. resumed normal proportions. "No," he said firmly, "you just think it's distorted, but that is actually how our brains see things . . . "
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Was told I'd need to buy it with installation from Wrexham Currys. I said okay, I'll go and buy it from COmet.

The other guy said well try it and see if it goes through. It did. What a surprise.

Problem is, they are so brain washed with Sky installations.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    Part of the problem is that the Humax box says buy installation on it.
  • Options
    liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that the Humax box says buy installation on it.

humax....your sooo naughty :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Sorry moved thread
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Currys web site shows no Freesat receivers but two installation packages. Install for £100 and .......................... wait for it ................................ "Assist install" for £80. WTF?
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0040379257.1210759006@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcadeedjilkeicflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=SimpleSearchProducts&low_bound=0&up_bound=0&criterion=freesat&AtimeStamp=3388210487
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    The "assist installation" is the installation of a dish that already exists... it's obvious!!
    They might have to screw the f-plug for you for that though!

Plus standard delivery of £6.99...

Sorry... all this BS has put me off Currys for life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I was not allowed to buy a freesat box without installation in the Currys shop in Victoria last week. The assistant manager was willing to do it as he understood it would work with my existing sky dish but his was overrruled by the manager.

Further to all of this is an interesting story in The Times yesterday about two profit warnings from DSG, the group which own Currys, plus upcoming staff redundancies.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3918541.ece

It's hardly surprising they are suffering trading difficulties if they are turning away trade; people buying freesat from Argos, John Lewis and Comet instead!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    JamesE wrote: »
    Currys web site shows no Freesat receivers but two installation packages. Install for £100 and .......................... wait for it ................................ "Assist install" for £80. WTF?
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0040379257.1210759006@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcadeedjilkeicflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=SimpleSearchProducts&low_bound=0&up_bound=0&criterion=freesat&AtimeStamp=3388210487

Both out of stock. HTF can dish installation packages be out of stock?
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're just trying to maximise profits. I bought an HD Tv from Argos last week for my caravan, and they said "It's recommended you buy an HDMI lead to go with this TV sir" said the man on the till. What for? I asked. He didn't know.
  • Options
    TVScourgeTVScourge Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    It's disgraceful behaviour from the retailers. If you want to complain to Nicky Cambell and Julia Bradbury. Get Watchdog to put the stores to shame.