Black Mirror Series 2

Comments

• Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my re-generation is going be a fictional former heavyweight boxer. Sounds good
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    No the message was how far would grief take you. And also how people suffering grief can be exploited.

in other words...
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vexille1 wrote: »
    Leaving aside the SF elements, the obvious source for this was Truly Madly Deeply, except that unlike in that film, she doesn't move on.
    Yeah that's a film I'd completely forgotten about, but I can see the similarities now you mention it.

Also if they wanted to end it with a song, Pulp's "Bad Cover Version" would have fitted quice nicely :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always watch to make up your own mind.

What? Like, think for myself n' shiz? Are you trying to give me a panic attack?!?!? :confused:
    Watch. I didn't like it, but you might.

Yes, but what I really want to know is, will it irrevocably corrode my soul like - I have a sneaky suspicion - the 'Pig' episode would? :(
    jcafcw wrote: »
    No the message was how far would grief take you. And also how people suffering grief can be exploited.

There was a 'message'? :eek: Geez, that Charlie Brooker! He's such a p***y now he has a kid :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Well this is pretty shit so far on +1
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    But also scarily plausible.

Which bit was plausible?
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Which bit was plausible?

Not getting a hire van back on time.
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which bit was plausible?

The motivations and weaknesses of the human mind.
  • RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Hated it.

But only because of how unsettlingly real it felt. Only the technology advances were clear fiction and, in the future, who knows?

The rest was pure human nature.

Companies would exploit grief by selling tech.
    People do put an awful lot online.
    People probably do ignore their other half in favour of technology.
    You would be tempted to bring a loved one back from the dead, especially if you were pregnant.
    You don't admit you like the Bee Gees online.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    I found it uncomfortably eerie at how possible something like that could actually happen. Never heard of Black Mirror before so watched expecting it to be a series based just on that story! Guess I'll have to check out Season 1 on 4od!
  • nextexitnextexit Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which bit was plausible?

His body was 60% horse meat.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode.

Also I loved her workstation, I hope those become real. Not too sure about the robot boyfriend though :D

To me it crossed over a few ideas, that of photographs and technology obviously, but also speaking to the dead.
    I've always found it insulting to the memory of the dead that you can have things like seances, but if it brings comfort, does it matter? Does it stop you from moving on?
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought that was excellent -I was watching the whole thing trying to put myself in that woman's position and thinking where I would have stopped. After the night of epic sex it might have been tricky. :D
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Thought that was excellent -I was watching the whole thing trying to put myself in that woman's position and thinking where I would have stopped. After the night of epic sex it might have been tricky. :D

I wonder if she still "lets him out the attic" now and again? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The creepy thing about Black Mirror is that it takes the things we have now and upgrades them only a couple of places up - really not that far away. We're not talking space ships or gamma rays, this is the equivilant of an app about thirty years down the line if technology chooses to go in that direction.
    Really amazing series - so happy it's back. I love this sort of thing. :)

Haha, maybe. It beats a rampant rabbit. :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual with Black Mirror there were some great ideas and some very interesting social commentary but the final story was slightly lacking.

I really loved the idea of Ash's online personality being reconstructed in cyberspace but for me it overstepped the line of plausibility when he was "brought to life", like a cross between Mannequin and Weird Science.

Still, it was nice to see Hayley Attwell in a bra for the second time recently...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this first episode. Better ending needed though.

I was half expecting when she dropped the phone it would damage the online personality Ash and he would go a bit crazy or something and torment/harass her.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stu_Mck5 wrote: »
    I enjoyed this first episode. Better ending needed though.

I was half expecting when she dropped the phone it would damage the online personality Ash and he would go a bit crazy or something and torment/harass her.
    Now that would have been an excellent twist!:D
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Going to tape it and looking forward to it! I loved the pm and the pig from series one so im hoping series two will be just as good!

I love Charlie Brooker and watch/read pretty much everything he does but I loathed and hated this, it sickened me and I have a very black sense of humour. It's imprinted on my mind and I wish it wasn't, I found it very disturbing, so much so that I didn't watch the next 2. I did watch last night's though and thought it very watchable.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't like this episode :( I loved the last series (only saw the last two eps, have yet to watch the PM ****ing the pig episode) but this one I did not find good at all. I could not engage with the lead actor and actress at all. And the ending was just.. oh.

Next weeks looks good by the mini advert we saw. And I adore Lenora Crichlow so hopefully it'll be better than this one.

Really, really don't :eek::eek::eek: I wish I never had!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole pig thing wasn't really what that episode was about though - it was how the public can use technology to make people do the most horrific things - the PM never once spoke face to face to a member of the public, he just followed "orders" through the cyber world of Twitter and Youtube. I thought it was quite sobering.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    I liked that massive computer easel type thing though.

That was rather neaty. With flexible OLED technology already existing, you can see something like that being created in due course.
    This one has a not so distant future tone about it.

Yes, it looked like some of those elements are just a few years away. The clone, a few more.
    It's a bit like that film with Matt Smith, can't remember the name.
    AnitaS wrote: »
    *Fluffy* wrote: »
    Was it not "Clone"? That was well effed up!

Edit: Just looked it up and "Womb" and "Clone" are two different tiles for the same film depending what country you're in. So, why the f*** was it called "Clone" on Sky: On Demand then?!?!!? :confused:

Womb was the original title, but it was renamed Clone in the UK. I've put a review below, but on store shelves, "Clone" will be more of an attractive proposition than "Womb".

http://dvdfever.co.uk/?p=5072
    diary_room wrote: »
    I just switched on. Can someone summarise the plot so far??

You join 3/4 into a show and want everyone else to tell you what's happened? Why not just be on time? Or, as others said, wait until it's on +1
    AnitaS wrote: »
    It started off well and then went off the boil. He was super creepy as robot Ash though.

It was a nice idea, about how far grief can take us, but threw it away at the ending. She should've pushed Ash off the cliff and left it at that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    RobInnes wrote: »
    The whole pig thing wasn't really what that episode was about though - it was how the public can use technology to make people do the most horrific things - the PM never once spoke face to face to a member of the public, he just followed "orders" through the cyber world of Twitter and Youtube. I thought it was quite sobering.

It was about inherent human hypocrisy - purporting to care about the welfare of another but secretly being far more interested in the prospect of a public figure humiliating themselves live on tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a weak ep IMO, I liked the concept but just didn't feel for the characters much.

And the pig ep wasn't that bad, it made me think anyway. I mean is saving a life not worth the cost? He didn't have to kill or hurt anyone.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant. Please, if you haven't watched it and you're considering it, do it. If the reason you don't like it is because it was unsettling, eerie and disturbing, then you probably won't like the rest of Black Mirror. That's the point of it, to give us a scary look at what the nearby future could be like. It explores our chaotic relationship with media and technology.

I liked the ending because they ended it nicely, the ending might have felt more finished if they had both jumped of the cliff. But the ending shows that even though he isn't really Ash, Martha can't let go.
    It could have went all Frankenstein in the middle with Martha rejecting the clone or some of the technology goes wrong and we could have had a rather nasty ending. That could have been a more satisfying ending. I'm starting to wonder if that's what Charlie is going for, if the ending feels slightly open it can leave you feeling uneasy, sort of irritated. I don't know about everybody else but that's what Black Mirror does for me. It gives me a look at what things could be like and it's terrifying, it leaves me wondering. And however ironic this may sound, the episode has had endless amounts of praise on twitter.

Anyone saying it isn't plausible and no such internet technology will ever be made, I saw someone post this on twitter http://liveson.org/

And The National Anthem (the pig one) really isn't as scaring as people make it out to be. The Pig isn't the focus, it's about how people react to news through social media. The plot twist ion The National Anthem was fantastic, it's cringey but not in a sense that it hurts to watch but you can't believe that it happens the way it happens.