Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan reveals she was sexually abused as a child

EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Dolores fan, what a horrible thing to have happened and to have to carry around. I agree, very brave in going public.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    I'm a huge Dolores fan, what a horrible thing to have happened and to have to carry around. I agree, very brave in going public.

Definitely : I imagine quite a few 'celebs' suffered sexual abuse as children but it's a brave step to go public with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought there's been a bit of an air of sadness around Dolores, maybe this explains it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought there's been a bit of an air of sadness around Dolores, maybe this explains it.

"Unhappiness where's when I was young".....perhaps there was a clue in that line in 'Ode To My Mother'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the line's 'unhappiness, whereas when I was young and we didn't give a damn', meaning she was unhappy when writing the song, but happy as a child. Sorry to be a pedant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the line's 'unhappiness, whereas when I was young and we didn't give a damn', meaning she was unhappy when writing the song, but happy as a child. Sorry to be a pedant!

Oh, is the word "whereas"? That puts a different spin on the entire meaning alright.

I'm guessing from what Dolores is saying that her abuser is still alive.....she says he showed up at her father's funeral in 2011.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Oh, is the word "whereas"? That puts a different spin on the entire meaning alright.

I'm guessing from what Dolores is saying that her abuser is still alive.....she says he showed up at her father's funeral in 2011.

Yeah, he must have had some nerve. Some people have no shame, showing up at someone's funeral knowing what he'd done to his daughter.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too, it comes out in her voice and lyrics. However she is a survivor
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mind went straight to a few lines in the daffodil song. :(