People panic buying at supermarkets before Christmas day?

Comments

• Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why people buy so much food in the week to christmas. There must be so much waste. Not just a waste of money, but such a waste of food. People really ought to think before they buy silly amounts of food.

Monday was the first time in December I even stepped foot in a supermarket. Just the normal weekly shop, £26. Even then the amount of people in the store(s) was annoying me. As usual, won't be going to another supermarket until I need to do the next weekly shop, probably Monday.

All those buying loads of things, can I ask a question that I've never known the answer to - what's a 'christmas shop'? what extras does it include?
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Always makes me laugh when "you" are going shopping for Christmas and that is OK, But "everyone else" is panic buying making shops rammed :D

Well said! :D
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    All those buying loads of things, can I ask a question that I've never known the answer to - what's a 'christmas shop'? what extras does it include?

A turkey?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always makes me laugh when "you" are going shopping for Christmas and that is OK, But "everyone else" is panic buying making shops rammed :D

Indeed. There seems to be rather a lot of smug self-satisfaction from people who apparently did all of their shopping well in advance, who would no doubt be whinging if the people they encountered yesterday had opted to do all of their shopping at the same time time as them.

I did most of mine on Sunday, but picked up a few vegetables last night, because what was left over on Sunday didn't look very good. Hope I didn't inconvenience any of our super shoppers who were 'just picking up a few items' with my 'panic buying' :D
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first worked in a supermarket nearly thirty years ago, on Christmas Eve we closed at 2.30pm. God only knows how today's shoppers would cope with that!
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not just Christmas but just about every bank holiday, even though shops open on Bank Holiday people seem to have this mentality they need to buy a weeks worth of goods to see them over the Bank Holiday and just in case they run out of something. It is rather silly paranoid behaviour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Have the USA finally provoked one of The Axis of Evil into giving them an excuse to trigger off a nuclear exchange?

Just a phone call from the boss telling me what I already know about my shift for today and guess what? Some of the customers'll die or be in need of very serious medical care if they go TWO days without shopping. I can understand if it's emergency services or it's shift workers who can't have Christmas day off or don't have a choice but come on, anybody'd think we were about to be nuked the way they're panicking.

The top bosses in the corporate retailers like shopping centres, chain stores/department store/super market chains that're the REAL winners. That includes The Co-Op
    Forum Member
    Its not just Christmas but just about every bank holiday, even though shops open on Bank Holiday people seem to have this mentality they need to buy a weeks worth of goods to see them over the Bank Holiday and just in case they run out of something. It is rather silly paranoid behaviour.

People going to the supermarkets buying a weeks worth of goods?!?! When will the madness end? :D
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    When I first worked in a supermarket nearly thirty years ago, on Christmas Eve we closed at 2.30pm. God only knows how today's shoppers would cope with that!

Presumably everyone would do their shopping before it closed, making the supermarkets even busier. FMs would be panic posting about panic buying!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm missing out as I did my shopping three days ago. I feel the urge to nip to Tesco and run around like a crazy person buying something . .... anything
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I feel like I'm missing out as I did my shopping three days ago. I feel the urge to nip to Tesco and run around like a crazy person buying something . .... anything

And for a bit of extra fun, you could run over someone's foot with a trolley, snatch the last selection box out of someone's trolley even if you don't want it and have a row with a complete stranger who got to the last Lynx gift set just before you could put your hand on it.

Bonus points if you smack someone :D
  • Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago, a friend of mine worked in M&S food hall. She used to love working Christmas Eve. She said you really saw nature red in tooth and claw. Her favourite story was having to separate two old ladies who literally came to fisticuffs over the last pack of chicken drumsticks! :o:D

On a separate note, I've just had to pop to the local chemists and it was rammed with people wanting repeat prescriptions. They were all getting nasty with the pharmacist and the assistants because they were having to wait so long. I'm on regular medication and I checked last week how much I'd got left and sorted out my repeat then. Why leave something like that until the last minute?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    I think some supermarkets, particularly my local Asda, have suffered from capacity problems this Christmas due to a lack of staff-operated checkouts. Replacing half of them by not only basket checkouts but also more self service 'trolley' checkouts this year definitely slowed things down bigtime, and things got worse when they shut all the basket checkouts at 11:15pm for some annoying reason, waiting time must have been half an hour or more for some people by midnight.

It was all reasonably good natured but I can't help thinking that too many self service units contributed significantly to yesterday's capacity issues and queues there, and this will get worse next year if even more self service checkouts replace staff-operated ones.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    They wouldn't cope. They'd end up as manic depressives which is what many have become because they can't have 24/7/365.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    They wouldn't cope. They'd end up as manic depressives which is what many have become because they can't have 24/7/365.

Still not open long enough, sorry! How can I possibly fit in shopping around x, y and z? >:(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from doing a basket shop at Waitrose and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

That's my shopping done now. Next stop the pub.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, a friend of mine worked in M&S food hall. She used to love working Christmas Eve. She said you really saw nature red in tooth and claw. Her favourite story was having to separate two old ladies who literally came to fisticuffs over the last pack of chicken drumsticks! :o:D

On a separate note, I've just had to pop to the local chemists and it was rammed with people wanting repeat prescriptions. They were all getting nasty with the pharmacist and the assistants because they were having to wait so long. I'm on regular medication and I checked last week how much I'd got left and sorted out my repeat then. Why leave something like that until the last minute?
    because most humans are idiots merry christmas :D
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Sainsbury's Letchworth on Monday afternoon was full to bursting.

People pushing, shoving, snatching and grabbing, it was actually not nice to watch.

It's for one day FFS.

That sounds like black Friday from videos I saw online :o totally ridiculous why people do this
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local co-op was packed out as I just came past and I TS open until 8pm.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to my local large M&S, Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's this afternoon* and non of them where busier than they usually are on a Saturday, infact quite the opposite.

* Why? Well they're all within a 10 minute walk and certain things are better from one than the other IMO.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Me and my husband throw a christmas party for our families and there's always one who doesn't tell you their coming till the 24th and then we have to rush down the shops
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people panic buy at supermarkets before Christmas day? the shop is only closed for one day yet people are buying loads of stuff like the world is about to end why do they do this?

Exactly and there are many calling for more hours on Sundays and opening on Christmas day as well , after all it is there right to shop when they want . I wonder if it is the same people who maraud like loonies round the aisles today as though we are entering the third world war and rationing, I mean who really needs several bags of sugar ? And then they will all be out shopping on Boxing day , it has become like an illness in this country, one must shop at all times.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather forecast just been on

Huge uncertainty, but now the risk of snow for some on Boxing Day

Cue... loads more panic buying.

It's so funny, you couldn't make it up

BTW, the Met Office has got all these super computers installed, and yet they still always struggle when it comes to rain/snow during the winter months

They only really know what's going to happen, when the snow actually begins to fall
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my husband throw a christmas party for our families and there's always one who doesn't tell you their coming till the 24th and then we have to rush down the shops

Sounds like you have a very rigid nibbles and drinks allocation.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Tesco's profits won't be down this week I'm sure. I dread to think what Aldi and Lidl were like today or tomorrow. I abandoned going to Asda the car park was bedlam. People were panic buying today like a large meteorite was heading towards earth.

Which would probably be an even worse reason to panic buy - no time to eat everything!!! :D