Options

If aliens were to land here.Which nationality would be the oddest to them?.

2»

Comments

• Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't vote cos there wasn't a 'they wouldn't give one cos humans must be exterminated' button. :p
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    Didn't vote cos there wasn't a 'they wouldn't give one cos humans must be exterminated' button. :p

:D

Like your style........;-)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Why do so many people think that an interstellar species would be any different to us?.

I see no reasoning that states that advancement in science leads to social progress.

I'm not saying they would be. They might be though.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Why do so many people think that an interstellar species would be any different to us?.
    Depends on what they are - I'd expected then to be broadly similar in quite a few ways though things like tentacles and/or scales are likely to have an effect on some of the specifics. Also whether or not they eat bugs and white mice :p
    There's a few different societies to pick from so either they will find one to match or they will spot some common threads from their own history.

Aside from 'because it is there', the next reason is either political point-scoring, or profit, or a miscalculation or a combination of these.
    Depending on whose transmissions they have been monitoring, the aliens will reach a conclusion about 'oddness' based on what they had initially perceived as 'the norm' for this planet.

Either that or they will take some samples and subdivide our species into categories like 'fry', 'grill', 'stew' etc and leave the analysis for later when they start building farms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what they are - I'd expected then to be broadly similar in quite a few ways though things like tentacles and/or scales are likely to have an effect on some of the specifics. Also whether or not they eat bugs and white mice :p
    There's a few different societies to pick from so either they will find one to match or they will spot some common threads from their own history.

Aside from 'because it is there', the next reason is either political point-scoring, or profit, or a miscalculation or a combination of these.
    Depending on whose transmissions they have been monitoring, the aliens will reach a conclusion about 'oddness' based on what they had initially perceived as 'the norm' for this planet.

Either that or they will take some samples and subdivide our species into categories like 'fry', 'grill', 'stew' etc and leave the analysis for later when they start building farms.

I take it the above post was made in a jokey way?
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyson told Chris Hayes of MSNBC that there are many organic matters in the entire universe and it is possible that some planets have outlived intelligent species. He believes that humans are presumptuous for thinking they are arbiters of intelligence when planets could be much older than Earth and these could even be sending messages to us that while basic for them, are unintelligible based on the current human standards.

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth."

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7887/20140603/neil-degrasse-tyson-thinks-aliens-found-no-intelligent-life-on-earth.htm

:D
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I take it the above post was made in a jokey way?
    Not entirely.
    Have you not heard of the expression 'eat and greet' meaning making first contact?

If someone makes the long (or deceptively short) journey here they will need to have some gain - either smugness from helping primitives, or food for the folks back home, or a fresh planet with lots of pre-processed materials at the surface ready to be scooped up, or they need to flatten the place because it would nicely habitable were it not for the carbon-unit infestation.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I voted for the Japs.I just can't figure them out,no matter how hard I try.
    I guess the aliens would think the same.

Japan and Britain are alike in many respects.

Examples: the polite sort of British people doesn't like saying no so they use other ways of saying no. The polite sort of Japanese people doesn't like saying no so they use other ways of saying no. Both know the art of tact and diplomacy. Both like drinking tea. Both disapprove PDA, bad manners, blah blah.

Both can be hypocritical and two-faced (being polite to your face, think the worst of you behind your back). Both have a sense of humour that only their country people understand, and both enjoy being sarcastic and making puns. Both are quietly patriotic, and dislike any public display of patriotism "like the Americans do".

The list is endless, really.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bozzimacoo wrote: »

:D That would my choice.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are advanced enough to travel here, they are most likely above national borders.
    So would treat many of us like the inbreds we are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely.
    Have you not heard of the expression 'eat and greet' meaning making first contact?

If someone makes the long (or deceptively short) journey here they will need to have some gain - either smugness from helping primitives, or food for the folks back home, or a fresh planet with lots of pre-processed materials at the surface ready to be scooped up, or they need to flatten the place because it would nicely habitable were it not for the carbon-unit infestation.

This planet really has not been looked after properly at all.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They'd feel at home in Norfolk.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would see us for what we actually are - a savage Pleistocene ape with delusions of grandeur who has done a really wonderful job of being death incarnate to thousands upon thousands of extinct species during our short tenure on earth.

And we still are continuing the good work.

As for what they would think of religion words fail me.

Imagine them viewing Saudi Arabia for example - the mind boggles.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Japan and Britain are alike in many respects.

Examples: the polite sort of British people doesn't like saying no so they use other ways of saying no. The polite sort of Japanese people doesn't like saying no so they use other ways of saying no. Both know the art of tact and diplomacy. Both like drinking tea. Both disapprove PDA, bad manners, blah blah.

I do find the differences and similarities in the way the Japanese and the British view politeness fascinating; especially the fact that we both see it as such a defining trait.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody Hell!
    40+ posts and nobody has said that if an alien walked into a pub in Wales we'd immediately stop speaking English and start talking about them in Welsh.
    :p
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The strangest race would be the ignorant, impolite one inhabiting squares of concrete every few miles along those ribbons of tarmac...

All those big creatures standing there and not talking, smelling of spilt hydrocarbons with their finger stuck in their ear...

Every so often a human will draw up in front of them in their vehicles, physically remove the creatures' finger from its ear, and after a few minutes drive off again without being able to get a single word of conversation out of them...
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The strangest race would be the ignorant, impolite one inhabiting squares of concrete every few miles along those ribbons of tarmac...

All those big creatures standing there and not talking, smelling of spilt hydrocarbons with their finger stuck in their ear...

Every so often a human will draw up in front of them in their vehicles, physically remove the creatures' finger from its ear, and after a few minutes drive off again without being able to get a single word of conversation out of them...

On a similar note, they'd probably think cars were the dominant species, or at the very least were some sort of non-sentient robot Gods.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody Hell!
    40+ posts and nobody has said that if an alien walked into a pub in Wales we'd immediately stop speaking English and start talking about them in Welsh.
    :p

Maybe that was just a given so none needed to mention it :D
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rare for science fiction to be successfully funny if intended to be so....usually it falls flat on its face...but one of the funniest things I read was in Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's Footfall, where the alien invaders clean out the contents of a video shop in Kansas and take it back to their ship to study the natives...

...and watching one of the videos they are shocked by the clip of a feamle human apparently eating her mate - they wonder if humans are a cannibalistic species???

They were watching Deep Throat...
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they come post 2015. Ed Milliband and Labour will
    Get them homes,
    Fast track immigration status,
    Jobs in the newly created Dept of Inter Planetary Relationships
    And find the Doctors (and moan that the Tories did not train students in treating Alien visitors)