Options

Dodgy Car Problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
Forum Member
Over the past week or so i've noticed a strange noise when starting my car's engine, a grinding noise that occurs after the engine has started and only lasts for a few seconds. This noise is more apparent when i'm sat inside the car.

I took it to my local garage, a place i've taken my car to for it's past couple of MOTs. They said the starter motor might be dry and they'd take it out, clean it and lubricate it and that should solve the problem.

Left it there overnight and picked it up this afternoon. The noise isn't gone completely, however this isn't the problem.

I asked how much and they said £20. I went to pay with my card (as i have done every other time i've been there) and they wouldn't accept it, saying they wanted cash. They then said i could just drop the cash by whenever i was next passing. They didn't seem bothered about when this would be either.

I didn't get an invoice, receipt, proof that the work had been completed etc. I get the feeling that something isn't quite legit about this, almost like they've figured they can con me out of a bit of money because i know nothing about cars.

Am i being paranoid? Does this sound like something a garage can and would do?

As i said, i have been before but only for an MOT which always has a paper trail, but this just seems a little suspect to me. Or maybe i've been watching to many con shows!

Comments

• Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like they have tried to do you a favour by trying something fairly simple that they think might solve your problem, but as its only been a ten minute job they haven't the heart to hit you for an full hours worth of labour and VAT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Sounds more like they have tried to do you a favour by trying something fairly simple that they think might solve your problem, but as its only been a ten minute job they haven't the heart to hit you for an full hours worth of labour and VAT.

You know, i never thought of it that way. I think i'm too busy trying to find the negative in some people/situations that it never hit me that they might be trying to do me a favour!
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    You know, i never thought of it that way. I think i'm too busy trying to find the negative in some people/situations that it never hit me that they might be trying to do me a favour!

Its entirely possible, particularly if they know you. I used to go to a brilliant mechanic called (Jim Huntly in Dumfries if anyone is interested), for all my MOT's and servicing work, and he was the kind of guy that wouldn't hit you with an hours labour for a five minute fix - he did a quick fix on my old Sierra once that involved a self tapping screw into the air filter housing, and didn't charge me a penny; the local Ford dealer had quoted £180 for a new filter housing & £40 to fit it, and that was without even looking at the car. Jim was (and still is I believe) a brilliant mechanic, and would never do anything that wasn't needed or rip anyone off - - the resulting reputation that he got must have gained him plenty of custom as well as a stream of regular visitors.

Shame I am over 500 miles away from him now.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, they took out the starter, cleaned and oiled it, then put it back in...........all for £20 ?

Where is this garage, in Narnia ?

Most garages charge that for lifting the bonnet.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Over the past week or so i've noticed a strange noise when starting my car's engine, a grinding noise that occurs after the engine has started and only lasts for a few seconds. This noise is more apparent when i'm sat inside the car.

I took it to my local garage, a place i've taken my car to for it's past couple of MOTs. They said the starter motor might be dry and they'd take it out, clean it and lubricate it and that should solve the problem.

Left it there overnight and picked it up this afternoon. The noise isn't gone completely, however this isn't the problem.

I asked how much and they said £20. I went to pay with my card (as i have done every other time i've been there) and they wouldn't accept it, saying they wanted cash. They then said i could just drop the cash by whenever i was next passing. They didn't seem bothered about when this would be either.

I didn't get an invoice, receipt, proof that the work had been completed etc. I get the feeling that something isn't quite legit about this, almost like they've figured they can con me out of a bit of money because i know nothing about cars.

Am i being paranoid? Does this sound like something a garage can and would do?

As i said, i have been before but only for an MOT which always has a paper trail, but this just seems a little suspect to me. Or maybe i've been watching to many con shows!

As the owner of a car repair business, It seems they did you a favour charging only £20 for that job....paying by card means the garage would probably get charged 4% for the privilege, that's probably why they wanted cash.
    Also they are being very trusting of you to give you the opportunity to pay anytime you are passing...why can't you trust them in return?
    Garages get a very bad name sometimes, but customers can be just as much of a problem.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    As the owner of a car repair business, It seems they did you a favour charging only £20 for that job....paying by card means the garage would probably get charged 4% for the privilege, that's probably why they wanted cash.
    Also they are being very trusting of you to give you the opportunity to pay anytime you are passing...why can't you trust them in return?
    Garages get a very bad name sometimes, but customers can be just as much of a problem.

I concur, especially if it was a credit card. If the problem seems as though it has been resolved I would assume the best.

I would only be worried if it was an expensive job and they said the same thing.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    My garage always like the cash and I've never had a receipt from them for anything. However, that doesn't worry me at all and is just the way I like it!

Been going there for 25 years, never had any problems!