Options

why does norton get more famous guests then ross

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Graham actually asks relevant questions,
    Does he? He asks the questions that the guests want to be asked.
    GN: "Tell me about that thing...."
    Guest: "Oh, you mean when....." goes into pre-prepared anecdote
    The rest is the guest plugging what they're there to plug.

I'm not knocking it as that what these shows are there for but in the past Parky used to actually chat to his guests about their lifes work and not bother with plugging.

He said himself that he gave up because in this day and age you don't get to chat, you have to ask pre-prepared questions that are vetted and then just plug what the guest is there for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And what about Alan Carr? Does anyone know what ratings he gets compared to the other two? I think his mix of guests is probably similar to Jonathan's. Chatty man is often more entertaining than either of the others, despite the fact it has a less professional feel to it. Actually that's probably why, because it seems more natural and like an informal chat, rather than an interview.
    I think Carr's show is the worst of the bunch. The quality of guests is terrible. It's chocked full of reality TV and talent show 'stars', z-lebs, C4 regulars and his mates. How many times can David Walliams be on his show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Can't remember who was on with Billy Crystal but wasn't there a link to the forthcoming Academy awards to make him topical?
    There was a link with him and Jackman on the show but basically they were both there to promote their current films.
    Same as Cruise and Pike who were on seperately (filmed on a previous date IIRC)
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross used to be Must See TV on the beeb, but now it's on ITV I don't mind if I miss it. In fact, my heart sinks if there's nothing else on and I feel I have to watch it :)

Really dull and boring set, awful facial hair IIRC, none of the sparkle (and poofs&piano) that he used to have, boring guests, and I just can't be doing with ad breaks at that time of night, if ever.

From Must-See to disposable, in one move. Sad.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think Carr's show is the worst of the bunch. The quality of guests is terrible. It's chocked full of reality TV and talent show 'stars', z-lebs, C4 regulars and his mates. How many times can David Walliams be on his show?

I agree that Alan Carr really does get the dregs of all guests, however I (like many people I imagine) don't particularly watch it for the high quality guests. I watch it because I know that its going to be a great laugh regardless.

Although I do wish that Alan would have guests similar to those Graham Norton had on his show back in the day. Old TV stars etc. People who had decent stories to tell but nothing to plug.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he doesn't leer at them, maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    he doesn't leer at them, maybe?
    Did you see him with Tom Cruise? :p
  • Options
    PixieGrayPixieGray Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I don't think the quality or fame-count of the guests matters anymore. Ross would make me cringe and want to chew my own foot off regardless.

Although they both have their own style and format, Norton is sharper, natural and more witty. His attempts at admonishing his guests with playful putdowns are amusing and quick witted. Ross, on the other hand, seems self aware and pre-planned when he tries the same tactic.

Norton back slaps but is often tongue-in-cheek; Ross just arse-licks to the point of sycophancy.

Shame really, Ross is just worn out and dull now. I much prefered him on Film **
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not knocking it as that what these shows are there for but in the past Parky used to actually chat to his guests about their lifes work and not bother with plugging.

He said himself that he gave up because in this day and age you don't get to chat, you have to ask pre-prepared questions that are vetted and then just plug what the guest is there for.

Even Parky had pre-planning. His interview with Frankie Howerd was entirely scripted (against Parky's wishes so he says). You could tell that he and his guests pre-discussed some of the issues and anecdotes that arose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I realise that. Infact wasn't that the one where Howerd grabbed Parky's notes in jest to see what he was going to ask (like he didn't know :D)

But then there were guests like Orson Welles who said 'ask me anything'. He was basically just there for a chat.

All i'm saying is that back then it wasn't all about the plug. These days, even if the host does ask a couple of questions about life in general or upbringing it isn't too indepth and doesn't last long before a clip of the movie/song and plugging the current project.
  • Options
    gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Ross all the time on the BBC but the adverts spoil the continuity and the show is so disjointed with a break between every guest. Norton doesn't suffer from that and is a better show because of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Ross all the time on the BBC but the adverts spoil the continuity and the show is so disjointed with a break between every guest. Norton doesn't suffer from that and is a better show because of it
    I record Ross these days. Not only does it usually clash with QI XL and MOTD but I can skip the ads and any guests i'm not interested in.
    One of the problems with Norton having 3 on the couch, although the interaction can save that.
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All i'm saying is that back then it wasn't all about the plug. These days, even if the host does ask a couple of questions about life in general or upbringing it isn't too indepth and doesn't last long before a clip of the movie/song and plugging the current project.

That's very true. There is far less regular chat and it's probably because nowadays everything has to be funny. Nearly all the chat-show hosts are comedians now. Norton's show is pure showbiz, with nary a weighty topic in sight.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Norton show is more like the old Parkinson show when it went into "free for all" at the end, when he let all the guests interact.

On the Norton show you can have guests who would not think they had anything in common discussing surreal things in great depth, and GN knows this is TV gold and lets them get on with it.

One major problem with Ross's show is that he now has to plug X-Factor, BGT I'm a celeb and Coronation Street, like all other ITV chat or magazine shows, "to promote the brand" .
  • Options
    ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Yes, the interaction is the key factor on the Norton show, having seen this week's where the three guests made a running gag of Clare Balding being played by Kenneth Branagh in a film.

Looking at JR's last show, did you see the look of admiration on Alicia Keys' face (she's a classically trained pianist) when Jools Holland was giving his potted history of boogie-woogie? They've worked well before on "Later", and you'd love to just get them on a chat show together and chat about music, which Ross's format doesn't allow them to do. Hey, why don't they just leave the cameras rolling in the green room and leave the host out of it?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Jonathan had lost his must see factor before Sachsgate imo, him and the show were past their best even before he left the Beeb.
    ian hyland wrote: »
    The big difference is that even when Norton has a less than A-list line up like last week - Minnie Driver, Clare Balding and Stephen Merchant- he still gets the best out of them.

Indeed
    lotty27 wrote: »
    This is what I personally like, all the guests on at the same time and watching them interact with each other as well as Graham. Sometimes you get TV gold - who could ever forget Miriam Margoyles and Will.i.am! :D Or on the other end of the scale Rod Stewart practically ignoring Sarah Millican to gaze at Cameron Diaz the whole time!

My Favourite interaction remains Catherine Tate & 50 cent:D
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Because the nibbles in the green room are better?
    I gather Ross's green room is dire. Obviously it has cameras, so they guests can't really relax. I'm told it's like a film set and only has two walls.
    Because Norton hasn't insulted their grandfather?
    I remember Ross telling Nicole Kidman that her mother was a bitch. It didn't work.
    reglip wrote: »
    Its because the shows are bbc. When ross was there he had all the stars as well
    He had the added advantage of hosting Film 20xx. I'm sure publicist would try to keep him happy on his chat show in the hope of influencing his review show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ross' lineup doesn't seem to bad tomorrow (obviously depending on personal taste)
    David Attenborough - ledge :cool:
    Eddie Izzard - Popular standup
    Russell Brand - Again, popular standup and make a few US movies. Will have a lot to talk about with Ross :p
    Dolph Lungren - :D blast from the past

I hope Ross calms down for the Attenborough interview though. He can come across as disrespectful to some guests (some will say all guests :p).
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope Ross calms down for the Attenborough interview though. He can come across as disrespectful to some guests (some will say all guests :p).

He has interviewed Attenborough before and he is always respectful. Attenborough has a good sense of humour, though, so I wouldn`t worry too much on his behalf.
    Re: Parky- people really do have rose-tinted glasses about his shows. Guests generally went on to plug things and it was most definitely not spontaneous. I speak as someone who was in the studio audience twice. I have also been in the studio audience for Ross`s shows around about 4 times, going back to The Last Resort, and the last time being pre-Sachsgate BBC.The main thing I remember about the BBC show was that Ross talked to the audience the whole time,in between filming, and that he was absolutely hilarious!:D
  • Options
    CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think these stars would want blanket coverage for their new movies so go on as many shows as possible, do they not go on soccer am (if that still exists)?

did parky not have the same problem when he left the beeb and went to itv
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Last night's Norton show - case in point.

Helen Mirren, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann.

Mirren and Mann discussed being married to film directors, Rudd and Mirren discussed Nude scenes and Jack Nicholson and swapped stories about acting in theatre.
    Norton didn't have to say a lot really.

Unilkely set of guests that on paper would have not a lot in common, aside from acting.

Rolling them out individually would have just got plug, plug, anecdote, Norton playing audience games, final plug.
  • Options
    samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 2 reasons that i can think of. One is the prime slot on BBC. The other is the fact that this show does very well overseas particularly in North America. It's a very popular show on BBCAmerica and it only airs a week after it airs in the UK. So there stands a chance that many American based celebs have seen the show such as Charlize Theron. Wossy's show did make it onto BBCA but only during its last series and it wasn't as popular.

Wossy does get some big name guests like Justin Timberlake this week but there are times that he'll get a few lesser known people with them
    Did anybody read recently that ITV are thinking of axing Wossy's talk show but retaining him for other projects?

Alan Carr is ok but he seems to get a lot of reality and Channel 4 guests. I am not really interested in watching an interview with the Made In Chelsea kids or Ashleigh and Pudsey. Sure he gets a couple of top guests each series, but still....Quite a change when Graham was able to invite people he admired to come be on his Channel 4 programme.

Interstingly enough, I've been watching graham since the Channel 4 days and some of the people that I was messaging back then used to love SO but are not too thrilled with TGNS, but I still enjoy it. (I do like the Radio show too, That reminds me of So somehow)
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's slightly less of a festering boil on the face of entertainment than Ross.

Slightly.
  • Options
    samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is an article about Jonathan Ross actually bemoaning the fact that Graham Norton gets better guests than he does, due to Wossy's move to ITV. I wonder if his show will get cancelled this year?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2294598/MoS-Diary-Sofa-Wars-ITV-chat-host-Jonathan-Ross-blames-BBC-rival-graham-Norton-lack-star-guests.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Here is an article about Jonathan Ross actually bemoaning the fact that Graham Norton gets better guests than he does, due to Wossy's move to ITV. I wonder if his show will get cancelled this year?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2294598/MoS-Diary-Sofa-Wars-ITV-chat-host-Jonathan-Ross-blames-BBC-rival-graham-Norton-lack-star-guests.html

Looks like it's on the cards.