Spain issues threats over Gibraltar

clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks like it might be appropriate to boycott all things Spanish. I am sure the Greeks would be happy to welcome us on their beaches.
Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo, Spain’s foreign minister, said a row over fishing rights around Gibraltar would force Madrid into new punitive measures.
The Spanish authorities have already provoked the British territory by imposing crossing restrictions at the border on successive days last week.
After long queues last week, the Foreign Office called in the senior Spanish diplomat in London who was given a dressing down.
In the wake of that meeting, Madrid said it would toughen its stance yet further.
“The party is over,” Mr Garcia-Margallo told ABC newspaper as he unveiled proposals for a €50 (£43) border crossing fee and tax investigations of thousands of Gibraltarians who own property in Spain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10221518/Spain-threatens-escalation-of-Gibraltar-row.html#disqus_thread

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I await rumours of WMDs in Spain and how they could benefit from peace bombs being dropped on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I hear Morocco has some fine beaches.
    Melilla (Spanish pronunciation: [meˈliʎa]) is an autonomous city of Spain and an exclave on the north coast of Morocco, with an area of 12.3 square kilometres (4.7 sq mi). Melilla, along with the Spanish exclave Ceuta, is one of two permanently inhabited Spanish territories in mainland Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain is in financial meltdown, the Prime Minister is facing allegations of corruption what to do, ah yes reignite a colonial spat that should divert attention from the country's current ills :rolleyes:
  • Kel'ThuzadKel'Thuzad Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We would absolutely destroy Spain in a war. They'd capitulate in under a week.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it illegal to hinder travel between EU nations?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal to hinder travel between EU nations?

I guess as Gibraltar is not part of the customs union they are not part of Schengen either, so in that respect Spain can put restrictions on the border crossing

Gibraltar is part of the European Union, having joined via the Single European Act 1972 and British Treaty of Accession in 1973, with exemption from some areas such as the Customs union and Common Agricultural Policy.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Kel'Thuzad wrote: »

As Britain and Spain are both members of NATO, that would make an interesting situation.
  • dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    It is very disappointing and childish for spain to be considering taking these actions.

Ultimately they would hinder spain more than Gibraltar.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Spain is rather reminiscent of Argentina all wind and piss and no backbone.

Trouble is Hague is such a wimp he will probably bend over backwards to appease them.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There should definitely be a reprisal for things like this. I suspect our government will role over.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    There should definitely be a reprisal for things like this. I suspect our government will role over.

Roll over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Roll over.

Not sure why I put that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably lots going on behind closed doors. Can't see other EU countries being too happy especially Germany who likes outsiders to see the EU (even though Gibraltar is outside) as a happy family and the last thing they would want is more problems with the Spanish economy if a backlash occurred.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,551
    Forum Member
    Another case of us flexing our muscles in the past, conquering places, putting loads of our own people there and then giving them "self determination rights" and then we can't understand why the country who should have the land don't like it?! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    dooglemire wrote: »
    It is very disappointing and childish for spain to be considering taking these actions.

Ultimately they would hinder spain more than Gibraltar.

How would it? If they do close airspace to flights to Gibraltar, how would that harm Spain more than Gibraltar?

I remember when Pakistan used to close its airspace to Indian flights, it used to cost India a lot in re-routing the routes and it took them a lot longer to get to a lot of destinations too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Another case of us flexing our muscles in the past, conquering places, putting loads of our own people there and then giving them "self determination rights" and then we can't understand why the country who should have the land don't like it?! :rolleyes:

Bit like scotland.
    Forum Member

Much like the spanish then, but why should they have the land?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Empire

ETA: oh, I forgot. You "don't do links".
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh **** OFF SPAIN

i was deathly bored the last time you jangled your bloody keys, and no one is going to give a crapass about it this time!

why don't you sell some houses and earn a bit of revenue!!!
    Forum Member
    How would it? If they do close airspace to flights to Gibraltar, how would that harm Spain more than Gibraltar?

I remember when Pakistan used to close its airspace to Indian flights, it used to cost India a lot in re-routing the routes and it took them a lot longer to get to a lot of destinations too.

the flight path into Gib is already restricted. It would not be a huge problem to fly in avoiding spanish airspace altogether.

Thats not the bit that would harm spain it is the border fee and tax investigations that would do the harm.
    Forum Member
    dooglemire wrote: »
    the flight path into Gib is already restricted. It would not be a huge problem to fly in avoiding spanish airspace altogether.

Thats not the bit that would harm spain it is the border fee and tax investigations that would do the harm.

How though?
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Bit like scotland.

How do you mean?
    Forum Member
    How though?

It is quite simple really, firstly you have around 6500 people that live in spain that work in Gibraltar, so I imagine many thousands of them would be lost. This would also damage Gibraltar to be fair but the goverment in Gibraltar is very proactive and has the ability to get things done quickly if need be. Many people would end up on the spanish version of the dole.

Secondly as a whole Gib puts just under 1 Billion euros a year into the spansh economy.thats a big dent especially locally.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Looks like it might be appropriate to boycott all things Spanish. I am sure the Greeks would be happy to welcome us on their beaches.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10221518/Spain-threatens-escalation-of-Gibraltar-row.html#disqus_thread

we should make the Spanish pay to enter u.k.or stop them full stop from coming in.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Kel'Thuzad wrote: »

They said the First World War would be over by Christmas.

And I bet the Russians and the Americans thought the same about the Afghans and the Vietnamese too.