Options

Laptop recovery advice

Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all. I just last night had to completely restore the laptop to factory settings. I had to do this because it started showing up a blue screen saying something was stopping windows from working. I tried virus checks and even system restore as well as other things but it didn't find anything.

Well anyway i got it back to factory settings however every time i turn the laptop on it keeps doing a disk check. Also it is saying there are 133 updates but when i try to install them they fail each time. Why is that?

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, what make and model of laptop is it and what operating system is causing the problem? That might possibly help to narrow thing down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest, what make and model of laptop is it and what operating system is causing the problem? That might possibly help to narrow thing down.

Toshiba Sattelite laptop and windows 7. It is 5 years old if that has anything to do with it.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Repeated disk check prompts possibly indicate the hard disk is failing. Download and run Seatools. If it reports any errors on the tests then the disk is probably stuffed and you would need to replace it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Repeated disk check prompts possibly indicate the hard disk is failing. Download and run Seatools. If it reports any errors on the tests then the disk is probably stuffed and you would need to replace it.

I thought that might be the case. It is 5 years old and i did manage to back up important files onto discs so it looks like i need to get a new laptop (or hard drive).
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    I thought that might be the case. It is 5 years old and i did manage to back up important files onto discs so it looks like i need to get a new laptop (or hard drive).
    Depends on the spec of the computer to be honest. A new hard disk can be picked up for about £30-40 if you just wanted to do a like-for-like swap. If you fancy giving it a speed boost then you could opt for an SSD..last time I checked were about £70 for 120GB (which is fine if you keep large downloads etc on an external drive).

If you don't already have a Windows DVD make sure you prepare a bootable DVD/USB using the recovery utility since this will save you a lot of messing about later.