Should FIFA strip Qatar of the 2022 World Cup

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Qatar promised air conditioned stadiums, but 1000 of fans out there it could be 50 degree heat even in the shade. I can't see how they can air condition stadiums in open air?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Well I for one am stunned by these latest revelations...

I presume you're joking ? :)
    The last time I posted anything about this, I received a warning. Which was fair enough, I was throwing around unsubstantiated allegations.
    But as a journalist said on the radio this morning, it will surprise nobody, FIFA have been rotten to the core for many years.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If FIFA and theirs are not careful, I wonder if an alternative/newly formed body could do a World Cup - after overcoming huge legal obstacles no doubt. Such a potential scenario could be reality such is the perception by Joe Public of corruption. The Cup should be taken away from them in any event if they can't deliver a summer tournament. Let us hope the investigator Garcia can get to the bottom of this. In any event (and generally, i.e. for any and every tournament) who on the committee voted for whom should be disclosed to the public (the buzzword transparency and all that).
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If FIFA and theirs are not careful, I wonder if an alternative/newly formed body could do a World Cup - after overcoming huge legal obstacles no doubt. Such a potential scenario could be reality such is the perception by Joe Public of corruption. The Cup should be taken away from them in any event if they can't deliver a summer tournament. Let us hope the investigator Garcia can get to the bottom of this. In any event (and generally, i.e. for any and every tournament) who on the committee voted for whom should be disclosed to the public (the buzzword transparency and all that).

My guess is alot of (more) money will change hands, alot of handshaking and smirking..We'll hear nothing more about this soon i suspect.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the full ST report.

The corruption stench is overwhelming. I can't post up here but worth reading.

Just been reading all 11 pages of it.

If Blatter had any dignity he'd order a re-run of the selection process and resign (and hand himself over the police). Of course, he doesn't have a dignified bone in his body so he won't do anything.

The top European and South American countries should break away from FIFA and set up their own championship taking all of the sponsors with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    My guess is alot of (more) money will change hands, alot of handshaking and smirking..We'll hear nothing more about this soon i suspect.

I disagree. This one has legs I believe. Timing is good with a FIFA congress upcoming in a fortnight I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just been reading all 11 pages of it.

If Blatter had any dignity he'd order a re-run of the selection process and resign (and hand himself over the police). Of course, he doesn't have a dignified bone in his body so he won't do anything.

The top European and South American countries should break away from FIFA and set up their own championship taking all of the sponsors with them.

I am afraid Sepp can't get enough adulation - he is going to stand again!! If a number of the sponsors issue a statement saying they are concerned......money talks and an investigation will follow.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid Sepp can't get enough adulation - he is going to stand again!! If a number of the sponsors issue a statement saying they are concerned......money talks and an investigation will follow.

So it needs somebody from The FIFA partners to start showing some integrity.

Over to you VISA, Adidas, Coca-Cola, Hyundai, Sony, McDonalds.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not see how a re run of the voting process would be any use. Qatar would still win a revote!
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is not anywhere near enough evidence to have a another vote

There is more then enough plausible deniability for it carry on.

Was the bit tainted by money? I would say so but it's not important if it was or not. It's evidence of the fact that's needed and we have not seen anywhere near the volume needed to force a change of plans
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you hold the Rugby world cup in Luxembourg or the Cricket World cup in Finland? no obviously so is it any different the Football World Cup being played in Qatar?
    So they have got Loads Of Money ! Is that in itself enough reason of course not, what right minded person would vote to hold a tournament in a god forsaken backwater like this unless you were handed a very large brown envelope, FIFA should hold their heads in shame but the sad fact is the whole organisation is a corrupt cancer & this sort of thing is basically just the norm for its privileged members :(
  • dpmd_Londondpmd_London Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I will never for the life of me understand why they had to award the rights to both the 2018 and the 2022 World Cups at the same time. Give 2018 then wait another 4 years to see how the land lies and how the footballing world looks.

Or am I being suspicious that Qatar had 2022 in the bag all along so awarding it to them would give the European Leagues plenty of time to adjust their timetables accordingly should they need to move the tournament to our winter...
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Telegraph headline says "France involved in corruption". Now I know they dislike the French, and dislike Platini but....they then lead evidence that Platini was lobbied (at breakfast: knew food had to be involved :D) by Qatar. So what?!
    He had a vote. He was lobbied. This is how Big Event voting works, whether for our Olympics or any event.
    The media are now on a sensationalist feeding frenzy which will be counterproductive; instead we need to expose all evidence of actual corruption and work on international alliances to remove the World Cup from Qatar in 2022. Not portray it as anti Qatar so that England can be given the tournament instead! It's mostly the USA that has reason to be annoyed as they came 2nd.

I'm entirely opposed to Qatar getting the World Cup as their vote clearly entailed corruption and many hundreds of almost slave labour workers have died and will die on their construction sites. Plus the country has lousy human rights, no football history or even a proper league to speak of. But let's stick to the facts. Anything else weakens the case.

The cynic in me says those who were allegedly successfully bunged deals would probably quite like a re-vote as it's another opportunity to make merry.
    The tournament should just be awarded to the USA I think.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Nothing will happen
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I'd take a bet with anyone that the Word Cup will go ahead in Qatar. For decades there has been a cozy little deal going with backhanders and bribes in Fifa. Nothing is going to change that. Fifa also know that Qatar would sue their backsides off in court forcing an awful lot of things to come out into the open.

What Fifa will do is have an investigation then claim it won't happen again, lessons have been learned and so on.

As for England, we will never hold the World Cup here again. Ever. We won't get any support from other European nations over this, none of them were in the frame for 2018 or 2022 and the likes of Spain, France & Germany have all had it recently and they won't want to mess up bidding again in say 20 years or so.

What I do find amusing is how the media especially the BBC have reacted to Qatar. The BBC, Channel 4 etc. went after Russia and the winter Olympics over Russia's so called anti gay laws, yet Qatar is far worse yet not a word from the media, not a single word. I wonder why? The religion of peace by chance?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone under the impression that it doesn't matter what comes out, nothing will change. However if the real power players take a stand, I'm not so sure:

Hello Sony.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politically, I just don't see how they can.

They can and should kick Blatter out, but I just can't see how they can withdraw the allocation. Would nations refuse to enter? That might bring down FIFA.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stunned when they got it, they've never even played in the world cup to the best of my knowledge. The whole thing is corrupt, there's even questions about the Russian one now
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If something is to change then it will be by pressure from sponsers.

If anyone wants to organise a protest about this event happening in a country with such an appalling attitude on misogyny, homophobia indeed human rights in general then going after the major sponsers is how to do it.

And yes, FIFA should remove it from Qatar, there should never have been the remote possibilty of this place getting it in the first place.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    If something is to change then it will be by pressure from sponsers.

If anyone wants to organise a protest about this event happening in a country with such an appalling attitude on misogyny, homophobia indeed human rights in general then going after the major sponsers is how to do it.

And yes, FIFA should remove it from Qatar, there should never have been the remote possibilty of this place getting it in the first place.

Yes and Sony have spoken about wanting an investigation so the sponsors may be starting to get vocal.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's 23 degrees here at the moment in the uk, it feels like an oven in the direct sun.

I cannot imagine adding 27 degrees on top and then having to run for 90 minutes.

Would it not be dangerous for the players, even the super fit athletes they are?
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adidas now joining Sony, perhaps they see brand contamination if there was some sort of organised boycott against FIFA sponsors ?
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,459
    Forum Member
    Yes and Sony have spoken about wanting an investigation so the sponsors may be starting to get vocal.

They're not getting seriously vocal though. They're demanding an "appropriate investigation", not threatening to pull the plug of their sponsorship.

FIFA will admit (limited) shortcomings off the back of Garcia's report, suggest that the corrupt members have mostly left, kick out a few more people who are disposable and insist that lessons have been learnt. But unless anyone had extremely obvious evidence of direct bribery by from Qatar 2022 - tapes, recordings, emails from the key figures in the campaign to the key figures at FIFA - then the situation will never become clear-cut enough to require a re-vote. And no one does have that evidence - if the Sunday Times did, they'd have run it by now.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're talking a whole different level of bribery and corruption here, so it will surely have to be covered up or whitewashed.

It seems we now have far more than bribes for votes, but oil and gas deals, Putin etc.

The soft of stuff that makes me wonder if we might hear about some tragic unexplained accidents for some people in the coming weeks and years, should anyone ever see fit to reveal more information.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be a serious health issue with a player or a few players if the cup goes ahead in Qatar. I am certain of it.