How to tell if I've broken my finger.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that many will just say go and see an expert but I'm very busy ATM so don't want to go if its unnecessary.

It is very swollen to the size of my other fingers (it's my smallest one)
Heavy bruising
I can move it but can't bend it
It really hurt at the time but the pain is now bearable and only hurts if I move it.

I've never broken a bone before so don't know how it feels.

Cheers.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have a busy life mate, but 30 minutes spent finding out if you've broken your finger or not is probably worth fitting into your busy schedule.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel you should go and get an X-ray to determine if you've broken it or not. Apparently, it can be hard to self-diagnose a broken finger without one - you get different symptoms depending on the type of fracture. If the bone's sticking out, it's obvious. If your finger's bent at a strange angle, it's most probably broken. If it's swollen and painful, it could be broken.

What did you do to hurt it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I do feel you should go and get an X-ray to determine if you've broken it or not. Apparently, it can be hard to self-diagnose a broken finger without one - you get different symptoms depending on the type of fracture. If the bone's sticking out, it's obvious. If your finger's bent at a strange angle, it's most probably broken. If it's swollen and painful, it could be broken.

What did you do to hurt it?

I was playing football (goalkeeper) and the ball directly hit my smallest finger at a funny angle. It was from 3-4 yards away.

There's also no disfigurement and I didn't feel any snap or tear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    You may have a busy life mate, but 30 minutes spent finding out if you've broken your finger or not is probably worth fitting into your busy schedule.

I am prepared to go, I just want to see if many people think it could actually be a fracture. It could be very minor and a waste of time (plus I could make myself look silly :D )

If the folks of DS think that it could be then ill probably go, I don't know how hard it is to give any diagnosis but if anyone can give any then it's appreciated.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's over 17 hours since you asked and you've had 2 replies suggesting you go get it looked at.
    Do you need any further advice?
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be this?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_finger

Go get it checked!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need it checked out.
    I had a Vulcan plate fracture in my middle finger that was only revealed by xray. If you don't get some sort of treatment and physio, you could have problems in a few years time.
  • SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get it checked but until you do, tape it to the next finger to keep it still, just in case it is broken.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Put your finger in a car door and have a mate slam it shut, it will be broken then
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put your finger in a car door and have a mate slam it shut, it will be broken then
    Do that to the other little finger though, then compare the two different pains:)
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet you it's a snapped tendon. That's what happened to me on two separate occasions, one of which involved a hard cricket ball smashing into the end of my ring finger.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sues wrote: »
    Get it checked but until you do, tape it to the next finger to keep it still, just in case it is broken.

I have had broken fingers 4 times now.
    I always do that and do not go the the hospital after that first time.
    They would probably just do the same as I do though even now and tape it to the next finger so hard it hurts.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's time for a visit to the GP or the nearest NHS walk in centre to get the digit properly examined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the replies ladies and gents, it's slowly gotten a bit better over the last day and a half and is fine as long as I don't move it. Although it looks now bloody on the inside.

So I've made a compromise that if it's still bad then I'll go on Saturday when I've got some time. Can't really turn down work ATM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Bet you it's a snapped tendon. That's what happened to me on two separate occasions, one of which involved a hard cricket ball smashing into the end of my ring finger.

Decent suggestion that because that what my dad said it could be (or badly sprained) and and that's how I injured mine (except with a less hard ball obviously :D )