Renting - Gas safety Certificate

Comments

• mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Is it a normal meter or a prepayment meter

It seems to be a prepayment meter, there is a slot for a card.. however when I phoned up E:ON they put me on a fixed tariff, I can only presume I wont be needing the card to top up, however not sure if that then makes it a normal meter

I live with my parents and this place is pretty cheap so thought it would be a good start to dip my toes into water but all this is so new to me

The electric meter is in the flat downstairs
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    It seems to be a prepayment meter, there is a slot for a card.. however when I phoned up E:ON they put me on a fixed tariff, I can only presume I wont be needing the card to top up, however not sure if that then makes it a normal meter

I live with my parents and this place is pretty cheap so thought it would be a good start to dip my toes into water but all this is so new to me

The electric meter is in the flat downstairs

No EON will have to come out and put a new meter in, think you need to phone them up again to sort this problem out
  • mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    No EON will have to come out and put a new meter in, think you need to phone them up again to sort this problem out

Okay, I thought they would of been able to tell what kind of meter already. I moved in and there was an eon gas card on top of the meter, I called them and they said no account active. I then rang national grid and they said no gas provider so I should signed up to new account. I rang EON as I presumed they may of had some traces of old account left, they said fixed tariff blah blah blah

I will ring them tomorrow, but as I said this is all new to me. I should tell them to change me to prepay tariff? would be easier as I already have meter
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, find out all about private renting by looking through the Shelter guide. The info about gas safety certificates is in the very bottom link on the right - Landlord responsibilities, and on that page under the heading 'Your landlord must meet safety standards'.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting

Here is the link to the tenants gas safety advice page from the Gas Safe Register - Make sure your landlord is complying with the law: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/renting_a_property/for_tenants.aspx
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a side note, I have never been able to get gas supply capped unless it's failed its test.

any gas safe registered person should be able to cap the gas supply.
    our company does it all the time on behalf of housing associations (ie when the property is going to be vacant for a while, and it is then uncapped when someone moves in).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know that?

if gas is installed then more often than not it will be for heating and hot water.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    You only need a certificate every 12 months, even if a new tenant moves in during this period. It's standard to issue a new one with a new tenant, presumably because of insurances, as a previous poster has mentioned.

Edit - I'm wrong, you do need a new one with a new tenant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only need a certificate every 12 months, even if a new tenant moves in during this period. It's standard to issue a new one with a new tenant, presumably because of insurances, as a previous poster has mentioned.

Edit - I'm wrong, you do need a new one with a new tenant!

but as has been pointed out, it cannot be done until the tenant gets the gas reconnected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    any gas safe registered person should be able to cap the gas supply.
    our company does it all the time on behalf of housing associations (ie when the property is going to be vacant for a while, and it is then uncapped when someone moves in).
    I was a bit intrigued by your post, not that I meant I disbelieved you as you obviously work for a company, but couldn't fathom out about the capping.
    Anyway, I was talking to my letting agent today and I asked her about it and she told me that my contracts would be different as I rent to students. The laws vary from borough to borough, but they would never allow students to move into a property where the gas was capped. I would have to uncapp and provide a certificate beforehand.
    They also said if I get an annual gas certificate as I do and had the gas capped when one group move out then I have to provide another certificate when the next group move in, which they said wouldn't be worth my while.
    So I think your right regarding HA/Council as they have different rules to student lets and private landlords.
    Phew, hope that makes sense.
    I think the poster is a private tenant so they just need to check with the letting agent.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have a new boiler installed (rented property) should you be given a gas safety cert or is given to you next year?

We had a new boiler installed but no cert given.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, I thought they would of been able to tell what kind of meter already. I moved in and there was an eon gas card on top of the meter, I called them and they said no account active. I then rang national grid and they said no gas provider so I should signed up to new account. I rang EON as I presumed they may of had some traces of old account left, they said fixed tariff blah blah blah

I will ring them tomorrow, but as I said this is all new to me. I should tell them to change me to prepay tariff? would be easier as I already have meter

The gas may have just been turned off at the meter (mine has a lever type handle on the pipe leading to the meter). However, it would be unwise to turn it on before it's been checked. As it appears to be a prepayment meter, I'd presume there'd have to be some credit on it to do the safety tests.

The switching between suppliers can be a nightmare, when I was a housing worker there were often supplies of gas/electric but the distribution companies had no idea who the supplier was.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    When you have a new boiler installed (rented property) should you be given a gas safety cert or is given to you next year?

We had a new boiler installed but no cert given.

You should have paperwork to say the boiler was installed, including a completion certificate. However I'm not sure if a new CP12 (gas safety certificate) is required, but I'm sure someone will be along to advise!
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    You should have paperwork to say the boiler was installed, including a completion certificate. However I'm not sure if a new CP12 (gas safety certificate) is required, but I'm sure someone will be along to advise!

all we have is a sticker on the side of the boiler saying installed by XXXxxx on XXX xxx
    and instruction manuals
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a tenant in a property, your LL is required to have a current CP12, ( Gas Safety certificate ), at all times, there is no leeway.

Regulations dictate, new tenant, new CP12.

The LL gets all the paperwork, as a tenant you are entitled to a paper copy of the CP12 provided by your LL or if tenant so wishes in electronic form so long as LL agrees.

As a tenant you are always entitled to a paper copy of the current CP12 regardless if one has been provided in electronic form.

LL must keep a copy of the CP12 for 2 years and as a tenant you have the right to have a copy of all CP12s issued during those previous 2 years for the property while let to you.

LLs are only responsible for gas appliance they provide and/or all associated pipework to an appliance if appliance is owned by the tenant.

However best practise dictates all gas appliance should be included on the CP12.

( This current regulation may change in 2018-20 to all gas appliance installed/fitted).

If there is a current CP12, dated from January 2014 and as an example is now 4 months old, ( April ), and a new boiler is installed in May, a new CP12 does not have to be issued as it will be covered for 12 months under the compliance certificate notification.

However best practice dictates all gas appliance are included on the annual CP12 regardless of how new or any information provided by other parties.

Compliance certificates aren't just issued/requirement for boilers.

A tenant is not entitled to a copy of the compliance certificate or any Benchmark paperwork or copy of warranties, that is LL paperwork, the tenant must be left with an operating manual.

LLs have a legal duty to service and maintain any gas appliances they provide as well in accordance with the appliances manufactures advise/instructions.

A CP12 is not a service/maintenance record.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I have a busy schedule during the day, and this is first time I have moved into a flat on my own, the gas isnt even switched on yet and I didn't realise this so had to cancel the appointment

It might have been better to tell the engineer that you wanted to cancel, rather than just not be there and waste his time. Simply being a bit busy is no excuse for wasting a professional tradesman's time and money.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the landlords responsibility not yours. Dont pay for it

It is the tenant's responsibility to be there if they have agreed a time for a tradesman's appointment. How on Earth can that be down to the landlord?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the tenant's responsibility to be there if they have agreed a time for a tradesman's appointment. How on Earth can that be down to the landlord?
    Agreed but ultimately it is the LLs responsibility to make sure a currant CP12 is in place and use whatever methods or actions they may have to undertake to make sure of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Agreed but ultimately it is the LLs responsibility to make sure a currant CP12 is in place and use whatever methods or actions they may have to undertake to make sure of this.

which includes kicking the door in if necessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which includes kicking the door in if necessary.
    You can't kick a door in and entry must be done under a warrant or an/either a gas emergency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't kick a door in and entry must be done under a warrant or an/either a gas emergency.

must be different up here in scotland then.
    we often attend "kick in's" where the HA has exhausted all other attempts to gain entry for an expired annual service.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we often attend "kick in's" where the HA has exhausted all other attempts to gain entry for an expired annual service.

My brother is a bailiff for a gas company. He has to get a warrant and a locksmith has to do the break-in.
    That is in England though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother is a bailiff for a gas company. He has to get a warrant and a locksmith has to do the break-in.
    That is in England though.

regardless of who is physically doing the removal of the locked door, access is still being gained on behalf of the landlord (be it private or HA).

and trust me, some of the properties up here in Glasgow require a physical kick (or four) to get thru the door. a locksmith isn't going to manage it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi chenks,

There is only one Scot I consider backwards in their thinking, actions and posts here on DS and you are not him.

I don't profess to understand LL & Tenant law in Scotland but having exhausted all avenues why didn't HA bring a lock smith?

Or you or HA drill the locks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi chenks,

There is only one Scot I consider backwards in their thinking, actions and posts here on DS and you are not him.

I don't profess to understand LL & Tenant law in Scotland but having exhausted all avenues why didn't HA bring a lock smith?

Or you or them drill the locks?

"kick in" is a term commonly used for forced entry.
    it doesn't always strictly mean using for your foot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "kick in" is a term commonly used for forced entry.
    it doesn't always strictly mean using for your foot.
    OK. :)