Options

What happened to Bet Lynch in 2002?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I heard julie goodyear left after two days ....

So how was she written out ? Did make a return or did they just rewrite

Comments

• Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    She was shocked at the pace of recording and the fact rehearsals were practically non existent. She went off sick and didn't return - a shame as I loved her scene arriving in the Rovers and her first scene with Rita following the huge row before Bet left in 1995.
    Maureen Lipman was hastily written in as Lillian Spencer to replace her - along with a lazy son and daughter. Lillian was a brilliant stop gap character - I think the plan was to have Bet made manager and getting Shelley and Geena's back's up....but Lillian did it in a snobby manner
  • Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie found out after she'd left that a lot of the younger cast had been selling stories about her to the press. She was genuinely hurt by this.

I can't ever see Bet returning to Coronation Street now. Would you want to work with people who stabbed you in the back?
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Lousiana wrote: »
    Julie found out after she'd left that a lot of the younger cast had been selling stories about her to the press. She was genuinely hurt by this.

I can't ever see Bet returning to Coronation Street now. Would you want to work with people who stabbed you in the back?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bet... she is one of my favourite soap characters EVER. But I don't think I want her to return. The show no longer fits the character.

Like Marilyn in Home and Away, she is a shadow of her former self, she can't really be the character she is supposed to be, because the format of the show now doesn't allow her to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how did they explain her exit ?

Did she just leave the street off screen ?
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She lost a court case she was fighting and went back to brighton this was off screen and audrey said it in rovers.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cal2008 wrote: »
    She lost a court case she was fighting and went back to brighton this was off screen and audrey said it in rovers.

This.

She returned to Weatherfield under guise that that she was coming for Betty's retirement party, but in reality she was back in the area because she was taking a former lover who had conned money from her to court. She lost the case and promptly left with her tail between her legs.

The plan was that Bet would, obviously, win the case, stay in Weatherfield and buy the Rovers with the proceedings of her court settlement.

The scenes in the Rovers where Bet returned were superb though. I remember one with Bet, Steve and Karen McDonald that was simply marvellous. All of the other residents were there too, clucking over Bet's return. It was oozing with references to the past and explanations from old characters to new characters about who Bet was.

Surprisingly, I can always see a place for Bet in the Street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found her 2002 return episode on YouTube.

(this is just part one)

I actually use the phrase "give that girl a coconut" in real life :o:o
  • Options
    NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

She returned to Weatherfield under guise that that she was coming for Betty's retirement party, but in reality she was back in the area because she was taking a former lover who had conned money from her to court. She lost the case and promptly left with her tail between her legs.

The plan was that Bet would, obviously, win the case, stay in Weatherfield and buy the Rovers with the proceedings of her court settlement.

I think it's more likely that she would have lost the court case and ended up penniless, with no choice but to stay in Weatherfield. Had she won her money back, realistically she would have cleared off back to her yacht on the Costa del Sol or wherever. Bet's return scenes showed no fondness or nostalgia for her life as the Rovers landlady - she was there under suffrance and looking down her nose at the new barmaids and regulars. In the scenes that Julie did film, Fred offered Bet the manager position at the pub, which she turned down flatly, saying something alone the lines of never wanting that lifestyle back. The way had clearly been paved for Bet to end up taking the manager's job - which she would have done eventually, had she ended up down on her luck and stuck at Audrey's without a penny. Hence the hasty rewrite with the Maureen Lipman character upsetting people at the Rovers rather than Bet when Julie pulled out of filming.

The actual court case and Bet leaving (as recounted by Mike and Audrey) were actually done in a very understated way, which left the door open for Julie to return permanently a later date should she recover from her exhaustion. Obviously this didn't happen. As a result Shelley was made manager and her character developed. IMO this was a better move forward for the Rovers and the show in general than a full-time Bet return.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did make a return the previous year, although these where just episodes set in Blackpool and not on the street itself. Julie did say she would make episodic appearances, although that 2003 return was the last.

I was hoping that she would return for Betty's funeral earlier this year, or at least get some sort of a mention. Sadly this never happened, which is a shame as Goodyear was up for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathanT wrote: »
    I think it's more likely that she would have lost the court case and ended up penniless, with no choice but to stay in Weatherfield. Had she won her money back, realistically she would have cleared off back to her yacht on the Costa del Sol or wherever. Bet's return scenes showed no fondness or nostalgia for her life as the Rovers landlady - she was there under suffrance and looking down her nose at the new barmaids and regulars. In the scenes that Julie did film, Fred offered Bet the manager position at the pub, which she turned down flatly, saying something alone the lines of never wanting that lifestyle back. The way had clearly been paved for Bet to end up taking the manager's job - which she would have done eventually, had she ended up down on her luck and stuck at Audrey's without a penny. Hence the hasty rewrite with the Maureen Lipman character upsetting people at the Rovers rather than Bet when Julie pulled out of filming.

The actual court case and Bet leaving (as recounted by Mike and Audrey) were actually done in a very understated way, which left the door open for Julie to return permanently a later date should she recover from her exhaustion. Obviously this didn't happen. As a result Shelley was made manager and her character developed. IMO this was a better move forward for the Rovers and the show in general than a full-time Bet return.

Interesting.

I see it from a completely different angle, as I've said.

I took Bet's defiant manner and putdowns about Weatherfield as bravado. She was showing herself to be in control and, which was typical Bet style. There's no way that she would have walked into the Rovers and admitted that things were going badly for her. I believe that she was already penniless on her return.

Don't forget that she left Coronation Street with her tail between her legs in 1995. She'd been let down by Vicky and Rita and defiantly left for a better life away from the cobbles. She was hardly likely to walk back, downtrodden and in need of cash. She'd had her entire life (the Rovers) taken away from her during her departure storyline, and, essentially, left as a failure. She was never going to return to Coronation Street portraying herself as anything other than a winner.

From the moment that she got out of the taxi and painted on that smile, she was assuming the position of power over everyone that she would encounter during her return.

I took her stories of her successful bar in Brighton, cosy relationship with Vicky and general 'high life' as a pack of lies. I think that she was on her arse in the best possible sense and a return to Weatherfield was her only option.

Just think how nasty Bet was to most of the people that she'd known for years - even people that she had no reason to be. If she was living the high life, she'd have no reason to be as nasty. Her escape from the Rovers would have been the best thing she ever did. She'd got away and made something of her life. Her comments to the Duckworths were particularly harsh, and reek of artificial bravado rather than genuine malice.

Winning the court-case would've filled her bank account and paved the way for her buying back the Rovers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many episodes was she in during 2002 ?
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrTaylor wrote: »
    How many episodes was she in during 2002 ?

8 episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Julie got sued for breaking her contract ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as far as I know she left because;

She was serving a punter in the Rovers Return, a local accused Bet of having an affair, Bet then retaliated by saying "Don't talk shite" which then led to her throwing a gin and tonic over the customer.

Her final scene saw her going in the back to get her leopard print coat, she then lit a cigarette and walked down the street never to be seen or heard of again. :(
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathanT wrote: »
    Bet's return scenes showed no fondness or nostalgia for her life as the Rovers landlady - she was there under suffrance and looking down her nose at the new barmaids and regulars.

I don't recall Bet looking down at Geena and Shelley. There's a scene in that first return episode where she buys one of them a drink - "... and have one on me. I served my time behind this bar - I know what it's like!" (or words to that effect).
  • Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never felt Bet was as good in any of her 2000s stints. But then I thought the character was tired when she left in 1995. The last really enjoyable period of Bet was the early 90s but the character was at her absolute peak in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred Elliot had just married his new wife Eve (Linda Baldwin's mother) before Bet's return. The original plan was for Fred and Eve to run the rovers together and Eve to be the new landlady. However then they decided to bring back Bet as the new landlady so Eve was very hastily written out just before Bet's comeback - Fred's discovered she was a bigamist a still married to her first husband and threw her out. She was never seen again and as we know Bet didnt hang around so the landlady position went to Lillian Spencer (briefly) and then to Shelley.
  • Options
    laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Julie Goodyear is too good for Corrie. She's great in BB!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Julie Goodyear is too good for Corrie. She's great in BB!

THIS!!!

"Dont talk shite" is the best line I have heard for ages in BB :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS!!!

"Dont talk shite" is the best line I have heard for ages in BB :P

Yeah haha I just watched that as well! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah haha I just watched that as well! :eek:

SAME!!

Always makes me LOL

Then putting a glass of wine over poor hev :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAME!!

Always makes me LOL

Then putting a glass of wine over poor hev :P

Yeah, I am gutted Cheryl got voted out, she was great too! :(
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Julie Goodyear is brilliant in Big Brother, she is sooo funny :D I bet the other corrie cast and crew were in fits of laughter when she was there.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The scenes in the Rovers where Bet returned were superb though. I remember one with Bet, Steve and Karen McDonald that was simply marvellous. All of the other residents were there too, clucking over Bet's return. It was oozing with references to the past and explanations from old characters to new characters about who Bet was.

Surprisingly, I can always see a place for Bet in the Street.
    Her scenes with Rita were quite good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG26rLkapYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSd2O4Ncy1k

I'm not sure why she returned in the first place, but it was nice Rita confronted her one last time after that row in 1995.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish she'd still do episodic appearances :( Never watched Corrie in them days but I've seen clips on youtube and she's a very iconic character