Options

Are you scared of wasps?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
While I don't run a mile when I see one, I do get very uneasy when they're around and almost got stung on Tuesday when one got into my shirt.

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly don't like the little gits, and try to keep a reasonable distance.

Bees I like a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly don't like the little gits, and try to keep a reasonable distance.

Bees I like a lot.

We seemed to be free of them until the middle of August and now they're out in force. Luckily they'll start dying out soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, petrified of them, to the degree that seeing one will make my eyes start watering with worry as well as break into a sweat and heart starts racing :o
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I don't fancy being stung by one, that's for sure. Horrible things.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Fookin' terrified.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I have to confess to absolute hysteria every time one comes anywhere near me, even to the point of throwing my ice cream into a field :o
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much scared, I just don't like the wee gits.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I just tell them to go away.
  • Options
    LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I am.
    I seem to get stung at least once a year, and I always think it's not as painful as I expect it to be. But as soon as I see one buzzing near me, I panic :eek::D
  • Options
    cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Just find them a bit irritating. I even got stung on the knee by one when I was about four and wasn't too upset apparently. Earwigs, on the other hand, make my skin crawl :(
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    They are tiny little flies basically, that do no harm if you don't bother them, no they are not scary, if they do sting you then it's hardly the end of the world.

However if your allergic to them.....then yes, you could have grounds to be wary of them.

If your near a wasps nest then yes I'd imagine they're somewhat annoying but if your sitting near a wasps nest then your an idiot
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being scared of them is not an option! They are everywhere at the moment.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find them irritating. I work with a lady who just squashes them whereas I try to shu them away.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just try and whack them if they fly around me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    We're told not to flap at them, but the only time i've remained calm and not flapped, was the only time i've been stung, on the neck, of all places. Could have been very nasty.
    Let the little sods settle on you, and they WILL sting you.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I'm not scared but I am respectfully wary of them. The last few days I've been photographing them on a slices of apple and drinking nectar from a bottle cap. I have to have my hands within about three or four inches of them but they haven't stung me yet.
  • Options
    IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    While I don't run a mile when I see one, I do get very uneasy when they're around and almost got stung on Tuesday when one got into my shirt.

No, I love having them around.

One wasp perched itself on my bedside table and hasn't moved since.
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They show you up, especially if your on a bus and your sat on your own.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I was sat in my car on lunch break and I had one fly into my car, so I got out and opened the doors. A very helpful guy at work said "it won't urt thee" (he has a ridiculously strong, inbred accent), I was like, "it can sting"... See, some people just talk total bollocks to try and come across as manly, when they actually just sound retarded.

Sorry, but I don't want to be in a confined space with a buzzy little thing that can inflict moderate amounts of physical pain on me, and if anyone else is honest, they don't either. I bet he runs away like a little girl when he gets a wasp in his car :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I was sat in my car on lunch break and I had one fly into my car, so I got out and opened the doors. A very helpful guy at work said "it won't urt thee" (he has a ridiculously strong, inbred accent), I was like, "it can sting"... See, some people just talk total bollocks to try and come across as manly, when they actually just sound retarded.

Sorry, but I don't want to be in a confined space with a buzzy little thing that can inflict moderate amounts of physical pain on me, and if anyone else is honest, they don't either. I bet he runs away like a little girl when he gets a wasp in his car :p

This is when they can be dangerous as you see one in your rear view mirror and you're concentrating more on the wasp than the road. Also it could be dangerous if you get stung and crash the car. Never drive with the windows down this time of year as I drive through a lot of wooded areas where wasps like to hang out.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Had one in the car the other day, first set of traffic lights i stopped at he was swatted with the latest Screwfix catalogue, bastard things.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scared, no but very very wary!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    We seemed to be free of them until the middle of August and now they're out in force. Luckily they'll start dying out soon.

Yes I thought we were going to have another relatively wasp free summer like last year but nope, mid August they start visiting flowers and woe betide you if you have wooden structures in your garden!
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I got stung in the neck and blacked out for a couple of seconds, so I am scared a bit. They really were aggressive last year:(

This year, really haven't encountered that many, luckily.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're told not to flap at them, but the only time i've remained calm and not flapped, was the only time i've been stung, on the neck, of all places. Could have been very nasty.
    Let the little sods settle on you, and they WILL sting you.

Exactly the same here except I've been stung three times when minding my own business! I'm terrified of them and found the sting on the neck really painful. Horrible things!