Derby local DAB

I am sorry for starting a new thread on this but I could not find the original one, I know some small minded posters take the arse about this but so what. I just want to know what is the latest news as to when it will happen. Also don't turn it into a bashing about how crap Smooth, Gold ,Heart, etc are.

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    santasmith wrote: »
    I am sorry for starting a new thread on this but I could not find the original one, I know some small minded posters take the arse about this but so what. I just want to know what is the latest news as to when it will happen. Also don't turn it into a bashing about how crap Smooth, Gold ,Heart, etc are.

When I saw the thread title I was hoping it was testing and was cursing the fact I hadn't scanned my DAB set before I left the area this morning!

The last indication from Arqiva was April.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/01/derbyshire-local-dab-due-april-2014.html

However a speech from Phil Riley of Orion (Gem) last week may indicate this could be delayed - although I'm probably reading too much into it:

http://rileyorionradio.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/who-else-is-fed-up-talking-about.html
    We should pause and re-evaluate the local layer density improvement work. Plans as they currently stand are likely to see DAB TX costs rise significantly over the next couple of years for local service providers, in part because of the now delayed requirements for FM switch-off.
    I’m not saying we should stop the rollout of the local layer to significant white space. Of course we should. Gem, our regional East Midlands service, is on DAB in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire – but not Derbyshire. That makes it difficult for us to promote on FM the fact we are also available on DAB – which some listeners prefer. So let’s get Derby on – cost effectively – as quickly as possible. But I’m not sure all the new transmitters planned are needed right now, in a multiplatform future, and certainly some of them might be harder to commercially justify, especially on muxes where only one or two local service providers are effectively carrying all of the costs. I’m just saying let’s pause, check and perhaps not be quite so ambitious in the short term if we have a bit more time.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Phil's point in why go DAB if BBC Derby and GEM are on FM as there will be extra costs if there is no DSO date. But if the mux does launch it may also carry Heart which will give GEM some competition so delaying it will suit Phil?.
    From Wohnort the list was
    BBC Radio Derby 128 kbit/s
    Ram FM kbit/s
    Classic Gold 945 kbit/s
    XFM kbit/s
    Heart 106 kbit/s
    Galaxy kbit/s
    Smooth Radio kbit/s
    Peak FM kbit/s
    UCB UK kbit/s
    Now may have
    BBC Radio Derby
    Heart
    GEM
    Smooth
    Gold
    Capital
    and perhaps
    XFM
    Peak FM
    and Heat?
    It could be that D1 reception might be also improved?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Sabras is also a shareholder and may also launch a station on the new mux if it launches April or soon?
    Unlike Muxco, Arqiva do not give progess updates online, (edit but interesting they are using twitter more).
    http://www.localdigitalradio.co.uk/derby.php
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Seems Sabras is also a shareholder and may also launch a station on the new mux if it launches April or soon?
    Unlike Muxco, Arqiva do not give progess updates online.
    http://www.localdigitalradio.co.uk/derby.php

Sabras is also a shareholder in the Leicester mux, they have 2 services on there. Sabras used to be on Nottingham as well, not sure if it still is?
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparry wrote: »
    Sabras is also a shareholder in the Leicester mux, they have 2 services on there. Sabras used to be on Nottingham as well, not sure if it still is?

It's not - it left a long time ago (which means my local shop has constant bubbling mud nearly every time I go in :rolleyes: except from the rare occasions they are listening to Capital)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Phil's point in why go DAB if BBC Derby and GEM are on FM as there will be extra costs if there is no DSO date. But if the mux does launch it may also carry Heart which will give GEM some competition so delaying it will suit Phil?.

They way I read it is they want the local multiplex on air, covering the larger population centres (i.e. Derby) which allows them to promote the service on-air without a significant number of their listeners finding it's unavailable.

But at the same time don't bother with all the tin-pot transmitters until such a time that a DSO is announced, or the multiplexes are full (i.e. the cost is being split between numerous operators and not just BBC/Orion), or they no longer have to pay for the FM transmitter.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    They way I read it is they want the local multiplex on air, covering the larger population centres (i.e. Derby) which allows them to promote the service on-air without a significant number of their listeners finding it's unavailable.

But at the same time don't bother with all the tin-pot transmitters until such a time that a DSO is announced, or the multiplexes are full (i.e. the cost is being split between numerous operators and not just BBC/Orion), or they no longer have to pay for the FM transmitter.

Phil's trying to have his cake and eat it though isn't he? On the one hand he wants ten year licence extensions for all of his FM licences so Orion doesn't have to re-apply for them against other bidders. On the other hand he doesn't want too much investment in local DAB as the carriage costs for his stations will increase and it will allow competitors (such as Heart) to have good DAB coverage across Orion's areas.

If Orion doesn't want to be part of DAB that's fine, just withdraw from the platform and let Ofcom advertise the FM licences.

Orion is not a signatory to the Memorandum of Understanding but the local DAB network will be built out to 90% by 2016 anyway.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be that D1 reception might be also improved?

I'm really hoping so. Derby isn't great for D1 by any means.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone has heard any tests on 10B ? cant find any info anywhere that's upto date
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this on yet? I'm in wales for the next week so can't check. Will I have a nice surprise to come home to?
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Is this on yet? I'm in wales for the next week so can't check. Will I have a nice surprise to come home to?

No its not tonight BMR - just checked here in Hatton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another deadline comes and goes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another deadline comes and goes

Its getting beyond a joke - they've had DAB in Nottingham for over 10 years!
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really isn't any appetite by the interested parties to Launch these local mux's is there, I've also not noticed any changes in power output or additional tx's that were talked about when the regional mux's were turned off and stations moved..
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the other local Now multiplexs there has been incentive for the operators to join the multiplex and get automatic renewal. There's not the same with the Derbyshire multiplex - Capital, Gold, Gem and Smooth can claim it from the Nottingham multiplex and although Peak was down originally I would be surprised if it does actually appear.

If there's no plan to launch the multiplex in the short-medium term I wish Now would get temporary permission for the Nottingham multiplex to take in Derby - all it would take is for it to be added to Quarndon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've probably hit the nail on the head dpb

The FM licence Auto renewal should not apply when a big percentage of the public in the licenced area can't receive the service on DAB. Its almost as if the citizens of Derbyshire and East Staffs don't count. Derby/Burton has a population not far off half a million!

We all know the choice of stations won't be great if it ever launches but it'd be good to have BBC Derby on DAB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was (hopefully still am) looking forward to XFM and the possibility of improved D1 reception
  • ex piratex pirat Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    l wonder if it will cover lichfield ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ex pirat wrote: »
    l wonder if it will cover lichfield ?

One would hope so seeing as the proposed sites are Chesterfield, Drum Hill, Lichfield, Stanton Moor and Whiteborough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is whiteborough?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is whiteborough?

Never heard of it BMR but its between Tibshelf and Mansfield.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One would hope so seeing as the proposed sites are Chesterfield, Drum Hill, Lichfield, Stanton Moor and Whiteborough.

Lichfield is probably there to help reception in East Staffs around Burton. Drum Hill isn't great down here. The Lichfield mast is actually closer to Tamworth!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think the Lichfield signal will be very directional northwards just as CE Birmingham from the same mast is heavily directional to the south.

Burton could certainly do with a decent signal from Radio Derby. Generally the strongest BBC local in the town is WM!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/AnnexB/DSO_05A_Derbyshire_DAB_V1_0.pdf
    Quarndon replaces Drum Hill as this site is not available
    for DAB and it performs a similar function to Drum Hill.
    dpb wrote: »
    Which was unusual as they don't normally give updates. The original Arqiva tweet in January said it is expected for April, rather than a confirmation?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio/dab/dab_local.html
    says
    Expected to be on air by spring 2014
    and Spring includes May
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/AnnexB/DSO_05A_Derbyshire_DAB_V1_0.pdf

Which was unusual as they don't normally give updates. The original Arqiva tweet in January said it is expected for April, rather than a confirmation?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio/dab/dab_local.html
    says
    and Spring includes May
    and depending on your definition, most of June.