channel changes!! on BBC

Comments

• C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely, it's not beyond the realms of possibility to open up BBC3 and 4 during the afternoon for Wimbledon?

In any case, and however they do it, tennis shouldn't be on both BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Surely, it's not beyond the realms of possibility to open up BBC3 and 4 during the afternoon for Wimbledon?

In any case, and however they do it, tennis shouldn't be on both BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.

Oh lord BBC 3 and BBC 4 during the day are CBBC and CBeebies why would the BBC pay for the rights to show it on a channel they would need to switch on early.

Just think before you type.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Yes it is, as they both share the bandwidth with CBBC/Cbeebies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    What was inexplicable that I tuned in at 8 for Today at Wimbledon and got some random programme.

Then they followed that with a 5 minute edition of Coast followed by the tennis.

John Inverdale apologised because they were pushed for time so couldn't show as much as they wanted.

They could have gained at least 5 minutes by not showing the Coast programme. >:(

I think that they were hedging their bets by putting in a filler programme in the expectation that if the Murray match went on longer or into a fourth set, Eastenders would have to be shown on BBC Two. As it transpired, Murray was well on his way to wrapping it up
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yes it is, as they both share the bandwidth with CBBC/Cbeebies.

Yet they are "magically" going to be able to show BBC3 during the day in a few weeks time....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Yet they are "magically" going to be able to show BBC3 during the day in a few weeks time....

Yes, because presumably they will be using the space from BBC Parliament, whilst Parliament is in recess (just as they did during the 2012 Olympics).

As Paul Daniels would say "It's magic". :D
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, because presumably they will be using the space from BBC Parliament, whilst Parliament is in recess (just as they did during the 2012 Olympics).

As Paul Daniels would say "It's magic". :D

no it wont share with BBC Parliament this time, partly as that's only SD and they want BBC 3 extended in HD too.
    The other reason is that on DTT there is some kind of technical lock down on the 16th July and Parliament doesn't go in to recess until the 21st or 22nd of July.
    This means they had to find other bandwidth for CBBC to move to for the Commonwealth Games, so its sharing with red button 301 on DTT and on Dsat and Dcab red button 0 and red button HD.
    So on DTT rb 301 will be part time and on Dsat and Dcab rb 0 and rb HD will be part time.
    CBBC HD sharing bandwidth on Dsat and Dcab only with rb HD, on DTT CBBC HD is off air!

BBC A MUX has also been reconfigured so its channels are in 704*576 instead of some being 720*576 and others (rb 301 and Parliament) being 544*576 as well, with Scottish viewers loosing the radio stations they lost before again for the games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when do we do the Okey Cokey?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when do we do the Okey Cokey?

oh lol it is like that isn't it!
    I'm just relaying the facts here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I have no idea either. I think it's to make way for the BBC News or something but who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darrenmc wrote: »
    I have no idea either. I think it's to make way for the BBC News or something but who knows.

if your talking about the Murray match, if it wasn't over the news it would all have been on BBC 1!
    In fact if if Murray has an evening match for qf or sf expect the news to shift for Murray to be on BBC 1!
    you have to expect these things and check the day before when Murray's match is scheduled, then you wont be disappointed!

Oh and here: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html
    is where you find when Murray is playing, I suggest you look even if your not a tennis fan, as you will know if your evening programs will be displaced!
    He will ether be on Centre Court or No. 1 Court which usually have 3 matches each each day starting at 1PM, so check if Murray is the first second or third match on ether of those courts.
    Expect him to play Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday if he gets through all the way.

Dont complain check things out as the BBC WONT change what they do! so you need to work round them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Last night switched to BBC-1 for Eastenders, Tennis, not a tennis fan switched off, will get Eastenders on weekly repeat, If I can find out when its on, as they keep messing about with that as well.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    What about all the people who have set their timers for the respective programmes? Those who have set for BBC 1 One Show will now have tennis on their recorder & those who wanted the tennis (by setting the timer for BBC 2) will now have The One Show. Absolute madness BBC! Whoever took this decision should be put in the stocks outside the BBC TV centre for a week!

If you watch Points of View you will see the BBC just don't care what the viewers thinks or want.

It's not called the British Bias Company for nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    If you watch Points of View you will see the BBC just don't care what the viewers thinks or want.

It's not called the British Bias Company for nothing.

It isn't called the British Bias Company except by you and a few others.

Last night they couldn't switch earlier as the regional news can only be shown on BBC-1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    if your talking about the Murray match, if it wasn't over the news it would all have been on BBC 1!
    In fact if if Murray has an evening match for qf or sf expect the news to shift for Murray to be on BBC 1!
    you have to expect these things and check the day before when Murray's match is scheduled, then you wont be disappointed!

Oh and here: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html
    is where you find when Murray is playing, I suggest you look even if your not a tennis fan, as you will know if your evening programs will be displaced!
    He will ether be on Centre Court or No. 1 Court which usually have 3 matches each each day starting at 1PM, so check if Murray is the first second or third match on ether of those courts.
    Expect him to play Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday if he gets through all the way.

Dont complain check things out as the BBC WONT change what they do! so you need to work round them!
    A very sensible post, one that recognises the reality of the situation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night switched to BBC-1 for Eastenders, Tennis, not a tennis fan switched off, will get Eastenders on weekly repeat, If I can find out when its on, as they keep messing about with that as well.

doesn't BBC 3 do the repeat any more? Oh and if you watch in HD BBC 3 HD is availible on all platforms too even freeview lite!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    It isn't called the British Bias Company except by you and a few others.

Last night they couldn't switch earlier as the regional news can only be shown on BBC-1

Yes its a shame that the regional news cant be shown on BBC 2 any more as they would have done otherwise!
    There would have been a way for the BBC to do regional content on BBC 1 and 2 at will if they had sorted it for digital, but they didnt.
    If they had done it it would have meant that on Dsat and Dcab during the time that no regional content is on they could have used the capacity for extra part time red buttons and been able to fit all of their SD channels onto 3 transponders on Dsat!
    The English regional content may have suffered in bit rates a bit on Dsat as they would have to fit 15 regional streams and one higher quality stream in for ether BBC 1 or 2 which wasnt showing regional content, but it could have been done.
    There would have only been up to 5 part time RB streams so that BBC 1 and 2 could be high quality during no regional content, but thats more than now.
    The system could have also handled the northern opt out of a rugby league thats shown on Tuesday or Wednesday nights or something, by opting all the regions that take it to one stream at high quality.
  • JeffmisterJeffmister Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    As 99.9% of the UK population can receive both BBC1 and 2 (BBC figures) I see no point whatsoever in switching between the two channels.BBC1 should have stuck with its advertised schedule as should BBC2 (which was Wimbledon). It's bad enough having tennis on 1 and 2 all afternoon in any case - I thought BBC2 was an alternative to 1 (and please don't tell me they show different tennis games).
    I agree with you that the schedules shouldn't have changed last night. As many have already said, it should only happen if Murray is playing in a quarter or semi final match.

To your other point, I am going to be the one who tells you BBC One & Two does show different matches in the afternoon. Pretty sure BBC One focuses on Center Court while BBC Two focuses on Court One or another interesting/important game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeffmister wrote: »
    I agree with you that the schedules shouldn't have changed last night. As many have already said, it should only happen if Murray is playing in a quarter or semi final match.

Murray is a champion now, so thats why they do it with the early matches when before they didnt, that wont change now until Murray retires, so we will all have to get used to it!
    Read my post of how to counteract it: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73404818&postcount=37
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The positive is ratings, the negative is public annoyance.

One they care about and the other they don't.

This switch-over is completely crazy though. BBC bosses just do things by the manual now. The manual says "put Murray in the BBC1 spotlight", so they do. If they had any judgement they would not do it in this case, or in any other case.

I completely agree.

The BBC is ours the license fee payers
    and those that control it should be doing it for our benifit.
    It seems like the toy of the controller or chairman or someone to shout about its ratings when it is purely a service of displaying programmes not deciding which channel should take some sort of elevated priority for nonsensical reasons.

In peak sports times like world cups and Wimbledon use the space available to launch dedicated sports stations and redirect users to those and keep everyone happy.

BBC is a shambles organisation run by the Arrogance our country is plagued by.
    Filthy money robbing cowboys cheating the owner of its company out of it smooth running. Egotistical pompous low life's!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I completely agree.

The BBC is ours the license fee payers
    and those that control it should be doing it for our benifit.
    It seems like the toy of the controller or chairman or someone to shout about its ratings when it is purely a service of displaying programmes not deciding which channel should take some sort of elevated priority for nonsensical reasons.

In peak sports times like world cups and Wimbledon use the space available to launch dedicated sports stations and redirect users to those and keep everyone happy.

BBC is a shambles organisation run by the Arrogance our country is plagued by.
    Filthy money robbing cowboys cheating the owner of its company out of it smooth running. Egotistical pompous low life's!!!!

They do launch dedicated sports channels though they are called red button channels which launch for the sport and go away after.
    This year there is 5 SD and 1 HD for Wimbledon and 6 SD and 1 HD for the Commonwealth Games.
    They need to make use of BBC 1 and 2 as well though as people need to see that Wimbledon is on and also I would think that AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis Club) wouldn't be happy for the BBC to shove all matches to obscure red button sports channels!
    I expect for the Commonwealth Games the BBC will be using BBC 1 and BBC 3 for the games and BBC 2 will have alternative content as they are extending BBC 3, so that should please people.
    Plus things like EastEnders ect will be on BBC 2 permanently during the games just like for the Olympics two years ago.
    They may even move the lunchtime news to 12pm instead of 1pm like during London 2012 too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    They do launch dedicated sports channels though they are called red button channels which launch for the sport and go away after.
    This year there is 5 SD and 1 HD for Wimbledon and 6 SD and 1 HD for the Commonwealth Games.
    They need to make use of BBC 1 and 2 as well though as people need to see that Wimbledon is on and also I would think that AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis Club) wouldn't be happy for the BBC to shove all matches to obscure red button sports channels!
    I expect for the Commonwealth Games the BBC will be using BBC 1 and BBC 3 for the games and BBC 2 will have alternative content as they are extending BBC 3, so that should please people.
    Plus things like EastEnders ect will be on BBC 2 permanently during the games just like for the Olympics two years ago.
    They may even move the lunchtime news to 12pm instead of 1pm like during London 2012 too?
    misread and deleted
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be better if they just put Wimbledon on BBC1 in the first place as they known Murray was third on Centre Court yesterday two days before. Plus it would amused me to see a trailer for EastEnders on BBC Two :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be better if they just put Wimbledon on BBC1 in the first place as they known Murray was third on Centre Court yesterday two days before. Plus it would amused me to see a trailer for EastEnders on BBC Two :D

The there would be no regional news which would upset lots of viewers as well and start the usual complaints.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is true but they also dont know how long his match will go on for yesterday all matches could have finished by 7PM if the first two had been shorter (first being a mens that went to 5 sets, then a ladies that went to 3 sets).
    These things are a little unpredictable as to exactly what time they will finish though, which is why Im suggesting that you assume it will go on and then be pleasantly surprised when its finished early! Although I agree they should have known by about 5.30 that the Murray match would at least go into the One Show (making it the Two show!)