There seems to be jeolusy amongst people that messi led his team to the final

david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
Forum Member
✭✭
I can smell it, those who doubted messi are eating their own words now, messi has led his country to the wc final and is the top scorer for Argentina with an assist to his credit. So do people still think messi will struggle in the PL, since pl, cl, and any national league is inferior to the world cup which is historically the hardest stage for a player and teams.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Romero had more of an influence getting Argentina to the final
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david_kenn wrote: »
    I can smell it, those who doubted messi are eating their own words now, messi has led his country to the wc final and is the top scorer for Argentina with an assist to his credit. So do people still think messi will struggle in the PL, since pl, cl, and any national league is inferior to the world cup which is historically the hardest stage for a player and teams.

What?
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I think you might be smelling something but not sure its jealousy
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

Are you taking the piss?

He's scored a few goals against the minnows and been totally forgettable in the knockout games. Last night, I forgot he was even on the pitch until he took a free kick which sailed miles over everyone's heads and went straight out of play.

He's not exactly taking the tournament by storm like Maradona did in '86 and Argentina have been one of the most boring and uninspiring teams in this World Cup. I hope Germany batter them.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never heard anyone say that he'd struggle in the PL ? In this WC, I'm not so sure that he's been as influential as you suggest. In last night's game for example, there were several other members of the team that deserve more plaudits for Argentina's progress to the final.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just Brazil and Holland fan boys, trying to cope with the shock.
  • david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

He's scored a few goals against the minnows and been totally forgettable in the knockout games. Last night, I forgot he was even on the pitch until he took a free kick which sailed miles over everyone's heads and went straight out of play.

He's not exactly taking the tournament by storm like Maradona did in '86 and Argentina have been one of the most boring and uninspiring teams in this World Cup. I hope Germany batter them.

He won the game against iran, nigeria, and bosnia as well as swtiz alone. The team performed poorly but messi carried them in his own shoulders in those games. He dribbled past swtiz players and set up di maria to finish it off. His team look shambles against holland which he managed to keep argentina attack dangerous but his teamates could not finish of his set up. Yes Maradona took argentina by storm but there is not denying messi has carried this poor team and has contributed to 6 of argentina's goals. 4 goals, 1 assist and 1 came from an own goal which itself came from his own freekick against Bosnia.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you taking the piss?

He was fantastic against Switzerland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonl87 wrote: »

Absolutely second that! He was the main contributor in this match, looked the biggest threat in the game and it was finally reward with his last minute assist to di maria who himself had a poor game, being man of the man in 4 of those games. For the golden ball I would of wanted robben to win because of his performance, but he failed to deliver in the semi final.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Brazil and Holland fan boys, trying to cope with the shock.

Funny you should mention them but Neymar has been far more impressive this tournament than anything Messi has offered.

I hope Germany smash em. :p
    Forum Member
    He won the game against iran, nigeria, and bosnia as well as swtiz alone. The team performed poorly but messi carried them in his own shoulders in those games. He dribbled past swtiz players and set up di maria to finish it off. His team look shambles against holland which he managed to keep argentina attack dangerous but his teamates could not finish of his set up. Yes Maradona took argentina by storm but there is not denying messi has carried this poor team and has contributed to 6 of argentina's goals. 4 goals, 1 assist and 1 came from an own goal which itself came from his own freekick against Bosnia.

I suggest you take yourself off to Specsavers.

The fact is he only made real contributions against weak teams. When faced with decent opposition he's been totally anonymous.
    Forum Member
    simonl87 wrote: »

Oh, yes, the mighty Switzerland.

Give me strength.
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Messi fanboy alert!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Messi already has achieved Cryff's status of leading the team to the final, now winning it will put him with maradona and Pele, Zidane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    German's were not great either against USA and ghana and Algeria.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest you take yourself off to Specsavers.

The fact is he only made real contributions against weak teams. When faced with decent opposition he's been totally anonymous.

his teamates do not pass the ball well but he wasn't bad as your trying to make out, holland kept the ball away from argentina in 2nd half and has 10 players on him throughout the match.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the good teams will man mark him and won't allow him to have a great impact. That's the reason they are good teams. Neither Robben nor Messi were allowed any space whatsoever last night because both teams were great at what they were doing. Just like Pirlo had very little impact against good teams :p
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a bad idea, executed badly.
    Forum Member
    his teamates do not pass the ball well but he wasn't bad as your trying to make out, holland kept the ball away from argentina in 2nd half and has 10 players on him throughout the match.

You should apply for a job on Match Of The Day.

They pay people to talk out of their arse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there such an under-appreciation for defenders on this form? A team can win a World Cup final without a striker, but it is almost impossible to win without a good defender. Messi made no impact yesterday because Vlaar was Holland's best man on the pitch and made absolutely sure he couldn't even breathe let alone move forward. Only tactically useless teams like England can allow their opposition's best players to shine.

I really disliked Messi prior to this World Cup and I still think he is overrated and not in the same league as Maradona or Zidane or even Pirlo, but... to give credit where credit is due... He indeed led Argentina to the final in this World Cup even if his impact wasn't spectacular and he appears to be very well-liked by his team mates, which I find remarkable with all the over exaggerated attention he is getting. Argentina don't just wait for Messi to make an impact though. They play as a very solid unit around him.
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    Why is there such an under-appreciation for defenders on this form? A team can win a World Cup final without a striker, but it is almost impossible to win without a good defender. Messi made no impact yesterday because Vlaar was Holland's best man on the pitch and made absolutely sure he couldn't even breathe let alone move forward. Only tactically useless teams like England can allow their opposition's best players to shine.

I really disliked Messi prior to this World Cup and I still think he is overrated and not in the same league as Maradona or Zidane or even Pirlo, but... to give credit where credit is due... He indeed led Argentina to the final in this World Cup even if his impact wasn't spectacular and he appears to be very well-liked by his team mates, which I find remarkable with all the over exaggerated attention he is getting. Argentina don't just wait for Messi to make an impact though. They play as a very solid unit around him.

Argentina are in the final because of their defensive capability. As an attacking force they've been distinctly average and have posed very little threat.

Messi hasn't led them to anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentina are in the final because of their defensive capability. As an attacking force they've been distinctly average and have posed very little threat.

Messi hasn't led them to anything.

Messi is their captain. He scored 4 crucial goals and assisted on another. He scored their first penalty against Holland. I'm not saying he is the best player who ever lived, but to say he hasn't performed well at this World Cup and isn't a leader to this Argentina team is not fair at all.
  • knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His team look shambles against holland which he managed to keep argentina attack dangerous but his teamates could not finish of his set up.

Disagree with that, I thought Argentina did really well to limit Hollands attack in that match and there were a number of their players who played better than Messi.

I do want Messi to lift that trophy though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentina were superb against Holland, as were Holland against Argentina. That game was a tactical masterpiece by both managers. Both teams completely eliminated the opponents' best players and didn't allow them a centimeter of room to move. Nevertheless, Argentina looked like the stronger and more dangerous team.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Messi isn't in the same league as Pirlo:confused:

Pirlo has been a great player, but what a ridiculous statement. Messi has been unplayable in literally hundreds of games, including many against top opposition, the World Cup isn't the be all and end all, despite that, he's done alright in this tournament and helped his team get to the final. His four world player awards are unprecedented and rightfully so.