Options

What singers / groups have had more than 10 number 1 singles

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
Forum Member
As reported today Will.I.Am has earned his 10th number 1 single, i thought what other stars have had over 10 number ones

Comments

• Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that true? Christ that's depressing. Madonna, The Beatles and tragically, Westlife are up there.
  • Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how they can say its 10 really as only 6 of them he's achieved solo... But cliff Richard is ofc up there too on 14! Lol!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Is that true? Christ that's depressing. Madonna, The Beatles and tragically, Westlife are up there.

I think that's even more depressing. 14/15 No 1 singles and hardly anyone apart from hardcore fans can remember any of them?! :( At least Madonna and The Beatles have memorable songs that nearly everyone knows even if they're not fans. Even I know a couple of Beatles songs and I don't really listen to them!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We musnt forget Elvis who now tops the UK list with 21 according to Wiki. For many years he was equal with The Beatles on 17 but Elvis had a series of reissues hitting the top.
    Take That have 11 apparently. Madonna 13 and The Shadows 12 (including all the ones they backed Cliff)

I cant name any Wil I am songs apart from I gotta Feeling (I think anyway)
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technially Will.I.Am has never had a truly solo number one they have been features or lead with feature or as part of BEP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's even more depressing. 14/15 No 1 singles and hardly anyone apart from hardcore fans can remember any of them?! :( At least Madonna and The Beatles have memorable songs that nearly everyone knows even if they're not fans. Even I know a couple of Beatles songs and I don't really listen to them!

At least Madonna and The Beatles wrote their hits, or were part of the creative process. Westlife are a bad karaoke act - meant for cruise ships and yet unleashed on the charts.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stop hating please!

westlife was able to achieve that because they deserve it, you are all bitter!

MOVE ON PLEASE! haha westlife is westlife and they have already broken all the records, and they are also disbanded so MOVE ON!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    stop hating please!

MOVE ON PLEASE! haha westlife is westlife and they have already broken all the records, and they are also disbanded so MOVE ON!

Hating? Bitter? Oh how sad. Fanboy/girl alert. This isn't the Youtube comment section you know.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    We musnt forget Elvis who now tops the UK list with 21 according to Wiki. For many years he was equal with The Beatles on 17 but Elvis had a series of reissues hitting the top.
    Take That have 11 apparently. Madonna 13 and The Shadows 12 (including all the ones they backed Cliff)

I cant name any Wil I am songs apart from I gotta Feeling (I think anyway)

I'm a bit iffy about those Elvis re-issues. They were already number ones, so all they really did was go back to the top for another week or so.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Hating? Bitter? Oh how sad. Fanboy/girl alert. This isn't the Youtube comment section you know.

I don't care for Westlife really, but I do honestly get fed up of the constant hatred they receive whenever their name is mentioned on the Internet somewhere. They had a lot of #1s, people just need to get over it. It's not that big a deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes HATING AND BITTER... exactly you are, symptoms are very visible and felt indeed!

This is not a thread made for westlife, and yet you are very much consistent in inserting your HATE and BITTER comments to the lads.. isn't that hating and bitterness?? haha

you are right, this is not a youtube comment section.. so please stop the never ending hate comments for westlife,

THEY HAVE ALREADY DISBANDED, 14 number 1s accumulated already, so move on! you might not remembered any songs from them, but do not stereotype, because not all people in the world are like you.. remember they will not achieve that for nothing.. :P

Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I don't care for Westlife really, but I do honestly get fed up of the constant hatred they receive whenever their name is mentioned on the Internet somewhere. They had a lot of #1s, people just need to get over it. It's not that big a deal.

exactly :)
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_by_number_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones

Apparently, Take That, The Shadows, Madonna, Cliff Richard, Westlife, The Beatles and Elvis.

Before I looked at that list, McFly and Eminem sprang to mind as being artists that have had quite a few.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will. I. Am.'s 10th number one is a sad moment.

Amazing how far popular chart music has fallen.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    At least Madonna and The Beatles wrote their hits, or were part of the creative process. Westlife are a bad karaoke act - meant for cruise ships and yet unleashed on the charts.

Exactly. I used to call Westlife Coverlife as they released so many covers. I was a fan when I was younger and they were good from 1999-2004 but I ended up going off them.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes HATING AND BITTER... exactly you are, symptoms are very visible and felt indeed!

This is not a thread made for westlife, and yet you are very much consistent in inserting your HATE and BITTER comments to the lads.. isn't that hating and bitterness?? haha

you are right, this is not a youtube comment section.. so please stop the never ending hate comments for westlife,

THEY HAVE ALREADY DISBANDED, 14 number 1s accumulated already, so move on! you might not remembered any songs from them, but do not stereotype, because not all people in the world are like you.. remember they will not achieve that for nothing.. :P

Westlife are the pond life festering at the bottom of the music world their music of many covers was always will be utter dross and that is my opinion like it or lump it.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Melanie C has had 12 #1s over the years - although one of these is as part of the Collective single she sang on in 2012. Not bad going though!
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Will. I. Am.'s 10th number one is a sad moment.

Amazing how far popular chart music has fallen.

This. His latest effort is just a rip off of an Indian hit. He just substituted the words "It's my birthday" for the original title. I bet that took him ages. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hysterical.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    stop hating please!

Too right, we're bitter. It's a disgrace.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stop hating please!

westlfe were just a second rate boyzone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    westlfe were just a second rate boyzone

sadly, unfortunately (for you) they were two times more successful than boyzone, and any other boyband that came in their time. 14 number 1 singles, worlwide fame, almost 50 million record sales, uk best selling band of the decade and tagged as one of the most successful boiyband. things that we cannot erase.. so we just need to accept and move on.

sorry for that.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadly, unfortunately (for you) they were two times more successful than boyzone, and any other boyband that came in their time. 14 number 1 singles, worlwide fame, almost 50 million record sales, uk best selling band of the decade and tagged as one of the most successful boiyband. things that we cannot erase.. so we just need to accept and move on.

sorry for that.

The greedy idiot one who ended up bankrupt is playing in my town (King's Lynn) in a tiny venue (750 Capacity - and it's not soldout) that normally only hosts tribute acts. We can't erase their success, but we can laugh at how they have fallen.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

sorry for that.

I think other fms are finding it too easy to push your buttons...
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell has this turn into Westlife bashing, I just don't get it. I won't argue with anyone, I will just say I am a fan and I'm not ashamed of that - they had 14 no. 1, that is a fact and no one can take that away from them. Having no. 1 basically means people love your music and they want to support you. I hated that they recorded so many covers, but the funny thing is, no one would have said a word if they just hadn't released them as singles. BUT many obviously loved those covers as well or else they wouldn't have had so many no. 1's. And guess what? Michael Buble does covers ALL the time apart from 5 original songs, and yet he is adored by many.

Westlife seriously have so much hate these days which is actually sad since they disbanded 2 years ago. They don't exist so why get so worked up and just enjoy in bashing a band that doesn't exist anymore?

And it's very much unfair to compare Shane's career with Westlife's - it doesn't mean they "have fallen", solo career and a band are 2 different things. As I said, no one can take away what they have achieved as Westlife, no matter how much people hate that.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Michael has had quite a few, either solo, in collaborations or as half of Wham!

Cliff Richard

Rihanna will probably notch up 10 UK number 1s, at some point.