Nick Briggs is good as Christopher Eccelston

rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just listened to the new BBC audio The Night of the Whisperer (a 9th Doctor story)

It's 'performed' by Nick Briggs. He does a very good impression of Eccleston. The voice and intonation is spot on

Comments

• IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who has poor intonation?

Why can't the actual actors themselves perform their own audio dramas? Chrissy has always said that he would like to do the audio dramas for the doctor.

Also, why is he so skinny? Is he any more skinny than Matt and David?
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Who has poor intonation?

Why can't the actual actors themselves perform their own audio dramas? Chrissy has always said that he would like to do the audio dramas for the doctor.

Also, why is he so skinny? Is he any more skinny than Matt and David?

:confused:I don't understand your first and last points. Can you explain them please? :)
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Chrissy has always said that he would like to do the audio dramas for the doctor.

He made one comment on the subject eight years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Ecclestone needs to sort it out and start genuinely liking Dr Who.

And its fans.

Or be irreparably destroyed!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Ecclestone needs to sort it out and start genuinely liking Dr Who.

And its fans.

Or be irreparably destroyed!

Oh he'll come crawling back. They always do.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit unfair - it's part of the Destiny of the Doctor series and none of the Doctors are voicing them. Fun but done on the cheap with 2 actors per story.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Bit unfair - it's part of the Destiny of the Doctor series and none of the Doctors are voicing them.

Given that the first three are dead and the ninth (or is that tenth?) wouldn't do it they wanted the consistancy of having a Companion do each of them instead. Of course that didn't work out for the ninth (or is that tenth?) since Piper wouldn't do it either.

I'm sure Barrowman would have though; maybe he was too busy with 'Arrow'? (Plus he seems increasingly bitter about not being asked back on the TV series.)
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh he'll come crawling back. They always do.

He really won't, unless it suits him.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Plus he seems increasingly bitter about not being asked back on the TV series.)

He needs to get over that. The Brigadier went almost eight years between his appearances with Four and Five, then approximately another six between The Five Doctors and Battlefield. He then didn't get to appear in New Who at all, despite the presence of UNIT.

Yet basically everyone likes him.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the first three are dead and the ninth (or is that tenth?) wouldn't do it they wanted the consistancy of having a Companion do each of them instead. Of course that didn't work out for the ninth (or is that tenth?) since Piper wouldn't do it either.

I'm sure Barrowman would have though; maybe he was too busy with 'Arrow'? (Plus he seems increasingly bitter about not being asked back on the TV series.)

As much as I like Barrowman, his Torchwood audio recordings are a bit hit & miss, some are good (Exodus Code and The Lost Files series) , and others are a bit crap.

Edit: Crap is too strong a word. I should have said a bit bland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    He needs to get over that. The Brigadier went almost eight years between his appearances with Four and Five, then approximately another six between The Five Doctors and Battlefield. He then didn't get to appear in New Who at all, despite the presence of UNIT.

Yet basically everyone likes him.

He was supposed to be in the SJA but was too ill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:I don't understand your first and last points. Can you explain them please? :)

Sorry I thought you said he had poor intonation, I'm not even sure what that means.

And i just think that CE is skinny, but so is Matt.

Chris does like the Doctor and the fans, how many times has this been said. :rolleyes: He said that he would like to do the audio drama's 3 years ago on Graham Norton's show
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I thought you said he had poor intonation, I'm not even sure what that means.

I guess you could be a bit monotone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    rionia wrote: »
    He was supposed to be in the SJA but was too ill.

He might of been ill but the Brig did appear in this series in the story Enemy of the Bane.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intonation_%28linguistics%29
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    He really won't, unless it suits him.

Of course he wont. The delusion of some fans. I think it unlikely Smith will either. Ecclestone is simply a different caliber of actor to those that have taken the part before and you can measure directly the talent of those past stars of the show in relation to how much they engage with fandom. Hence the most talentless of companions who are little above Panto standard are oh so delighted to pose with the M & Ms and smile through the tedium and ignominy of another tedious cheap convention. Its not because they have an undying love for the anoraks or the show itself. Its because they have a tax bill to pay like everyone else.

There will never be a time when Ecclestone needs work. It just wont happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not because they have an undying love for the anoraks or the show itself. Its because they have a tax bill to pay like everyone else.

Have you been to a Sci fi convention recently? There's just as likely to be as many kids and teenagers/young adults (of both sexes) there as there are 'anoraks'
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you been to a Sci fi convention recently? There's just as likely to be as many kids and teenagers/young adults (of both sexes) there as there are 'anoraks'

Yes but young kids and teenage girls I would hazard a guess are not the ones losing sleep over CE and his imagined 'slurs' against the good name of DW and its precious fandom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »

Thank you, actually I love Wikipedia :o. Sorry about that, I had heard of intonation before but only in the context of singing. I knew it had something to do about pitch but I thought it was only something that singers had to worry about. That's why I got a bit confused why intonation was mentioned, 'cos neither Chrissy or Briggs are singers :confused:. But I get it now :)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member

Chris does like the Doctor and the fans, how many times has this been said. :rolleyes: He said that he would like to do the audio drama's 3 years ago on Graham Norton's show
    The reason he hasn't done audios isn;t that he doesn't want to, it's that he's not allowed to - Big Finish don't have the rights to any post-2005 TV content. Including the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th Doctors.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ok, I understand now. :)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I just listened to the new BBC audio The Night of the Whisperer (a 9th Doctor story)

It's 'performed' by Nick Briggs. He does a very good impression of Eccleston. The voice and intonation is spot on

So what you're saying is - Dalek would make a good Doctor...