The Nick Grimshaw Breakfast Show

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The next Rajars will probably be down because it was the summer, so the press can stick the boot in to the Roly Poly Motormouth DJ one last time complete with a photo of Moyles looking obese in 2004.

The set after that will be up as everyone is back to Uni/School etc so the press can declare Grimshaw a success.

The set after that will probably be down, but will the press still care by then?

I can't profess to be a fan, but that's a little harsh is it not?
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't profess to be a fan, but that's a little harsh is it not?

He's being ironic because that's all the Sun or Daily Mail ever call him even though he's lost a load of weight and anyway his weight has no bearing on his ability to do the job. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting way to describe Biffy Clyro, Sean Paul, Swedish House Mafia, Mumford and sons, Jake Bugg and Wiley, all of whom got played by Nick this morning...

Looks to me like he's just picking songs that are actually on the playlist.

My son would listen to Swedish House Mafia and Wiley out of that list. He'd consider Sean Paul a saddo,, doesn't like dad rock so big uh uh for Biffy Clyro and Mumford & Sons are too sad even for his mum to listen to. ;)

And to be honest, out of that list, I only like Swedish House Mafia.

He's as open-minded as his mum. :o:mad:

He likes KISS or Radio 1 Xtra. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    He's being ironic because that's all the Sun or Daily Mail ever call him even though he's lost a load of weight and anyway his weight has no bearing on his ability to do the job. :rolleyes:

Oh okay.

I'd never even consider reading either of those papers, so wasn't aware of that.
    My son would listen to Swedish House Mafia and Wiley out of that list. He'd consider Sean Paul a saddo,, doesn't like dad rock so big uh uh for Biffy Clyro and Mumford & Sons are too sad even for his mum to listen to. ;)

And to be honest, out of that list, I only like Swedish House Mafia.

He's as open-minded as his mum. :o:mad:

He likes KISS or Radio 1 Xtra. ;)

Why is Sean Paul a saddo:confused:?

Personally, I'll listen to anything.

I have Radio 2, Radio 3, Kiss, Radio 1 and BBC 3 counties radio tuned into my car.

I refuse to listen to any of the Global stations as they have accepted sponsorship from the Sun..

But yeah..I'm listening back to the show in full, and I quite like it...I think it's cause it just reminds me of listening to one of my mates natter away, in-between some pretty reasonable music.

I reckon I'd get on quite well with Nick:).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I have totally switched R1 off now just can't tolerate it anymore (cheers Ben Cooper)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is Sean Paul a saddo:confused:?

).

Because he's 13 and anyone who isn't on he and his friends' very narrow band of cool is a saddo. ;)

He likes urban music, as do I, but he's more urban than me and Sean Paul is just too poppy for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's 13 and anyone who isn't on he and his friends' very narrow band of cool is a saddo. ;)

He likes urban music, as do I, but he's more urban than me and Sean Paul is just too poppy for them.

Lol, never thought I'd hear Sean Paul described as poppy..

I'll admit, he's quite a way away from how he originally sounded...but he's released a few cross-over tracks, that doesn't necessarily make him a pop artist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    On a positive note, I am enjoying all the different variants of One Direction that I'm seeing.

Wand Erection is a particular favourite.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except they don't even seem to be meeting their supposed demographic either. My son is 13 and he thinks Nick Grimshaw is a boring div (his words) playing crap girly music (again his words).

My son now listens to his iPhone on the way to school while I moan loudly about having nothing to listen to. :o:D

And yes, I'm in Kent so I can't get XFM or Capital or KISS on my car radio. I have the fabulous choice in FM of Rado 1 Radio 2 or Heart. :rolleyes:

Luckily I'm SE London/Kent border, so can give XFM a go, I have liked Danny Wallace for some time. You're right about not meeting their target demographic, they do seem to be aiming too low now.
    You say this like Nick is doing it to spite you.

There's a little thing called the BBC Trust, and the charter, which has forced this.

The very fact that they picked him should have suggested the demographic they were going for anyway!

You say Moyles catered for everyone, but actually, he didn't cater for me personally.

I haven't listened to radio 1 at breakfast since Chris Evans, up until Grimshaw has come in...and I've given it a go again.

No-one was going to match Moyles for listeners, so Grimshaw can take time to work out what works for him and what doesn't.

It seems like there's been some significant investment, judging by the adverts, that I don't remember Moyles getting...so I'm sure they're looking long-term..

Of course Nick isn't doing it to spite anyone in particular. Having said that, there are ways to appeal to a target demographic without constant mentions of one particular band.

Some people may have hated Chris Moyles, that's a given, its impossible to please everybody, however, he did a very good job of catering to a wide variety of ages - his callers and texts ranged from early teens up to mid thirties, the features were broadly aimed, and he did present a great breakfast show.

The BBC seem to be stage by stage ruining Radio 1 - moving Scott Mills from drivetime was ridiculous, then making Moyles unwelcome... To then putting a DJ (who the BBC were so confident of his talents put him on the air before the breakfast show in a two hour slot of a night time.) No disrespect to Nick, I think he is a fairly decent bloke, but the "teenybopper" attitude is really putting me off.

I have the opposite opinion to the adverts and trails for Nick's show - it almost seems like they're trying to convince people to listen to it. Moyles didn't need it - maybe because he was part of the furniture, or maybe it was down to the fact that it was actually a very very good breakfast show.

Remembering back though, there were pretty much the same amount of trails for Moyles as there are for Grimmy, however the trails for Moyles were clips of the actual show played throughout the day.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    On the trails, I don't know what anyone else thinks but the rambling: "Here's what happened and here's what's happening tomorrow" style currently adopted doesn't work for me.

Recently they had Lily Allen on playing Call or Delete? A great guest, potentially controversial, for a great feature. But instead of playing clips of what was probably at times hilarious radio, Nick rambled on for half a minute instead.

Now I'm over 30 so they don't want me, but surely a few clips of that and "One Direction (or whoever) are in the studio tomorrow" is more likely to get people revved up for the next day's show?
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,362
    Forum Member
    Listened to 'Call or Delete' with Prof Green (I don't think he's a real Professor) this morning, he called his girlfriend and told her he had been for a cofee with Imogen Thomas, she pretended to be shocked but sounded like she was perfectly aware of being on the radio (don't the BBC have to let people know if they are live on the radio anyway?). The whole feature revolves around the fact people are supposed to be surprised they are being called yet it sounds as if they know exactly what's coming and you can read right through thier surprise. What happened to spontaneous features, I though the BBC were supposed to be more honest about what they are broadcasting. Pretending to call somebody out of the blue when they know it's coming is very dishonest to the listner.

Previous posters have suggested this is a brilliant feature, is it normally this obviously faked?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Listened to 'Call or Delete' with Prof Green (I don't think he's a real Professor) this morning, he called his girlfriend and told her he had been for a cofee with Imogen Thomas, she pretended to be shocked but sounded like she was perfectly aware of being on the radio (don't the BBC have to let people know if they are live on the radio anyway?). The whole feature revolves around the fact people are supposed to be surprised they are being called yet it sounds as if they know exactly what's coming and you can read right through thier surprise. What happened to spontaneous features, I though the BBC were supposed to be more honest about what they are broadcasting. Pretending to call somebody out of the blue when they know it's coming is very dishonest to the listner.

Previous posters have suggested this is a brilliant feature, is it normally this obviously faked?

It is not dishonest. It is theatre of the mind. Most listeners would not be able to discern this. They will believe that the call is a genuine surprise, not that it has been faked.

By virtue of the fact you are posting here, you are not a normal listener and do not consume radio in the same way as they would.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed Grimmy's nighttime show, and when I first heard that he was taking over from Moyles I was anxious not because he didn't deserve the promotion, but because I was worried that he would end up as a eight month replacement until Greg James takes over (he could maybe take the job one day but right now he is nowhere near ready. Occasionally excellent, but more often than not he's very bland and forced).

This could still be the case, but I really hope the bosses stick with Nick because while the show definitely needs a bit of work, he's still doing a very good job. Musicwise, it's not bad at all and the Nickstape especially has thrown up some great songs. Showquizness and Call or Delete also are both funny and likable features.

I think to really become great, the show just needs the benefit of time. To improve, the One Direction chat and tween targeting should steadily erode (which will probably happen once the show settles), and the bosses need to let Grimshaw be himself. He's at his best when he's being sarky and ranting about people and daytime music he dislikes. The Guardian described him as "bitchy", which I think is a pretty good description. I hope this doesn't get stamped out.
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed Grimmy's nighttime show, and when I first heard that he was taking over from Moyles I was anxious not because he didn't deserve the promotion, but because I was worried that he would end up as a eight month replacement until Greg James takes over (he could maybe take the job one day but right now he is nowhere near ready. Occasionally excellent, but more often than not he's very bland and forced).

This could still be the case, but I really hope the bosses stick with Nick because while the show definitely needs a bit of work, he's still doing a very good job. Musicwise, it's not bad at all and the Nickstape especially has thrown up some great songs. Showquizness and Call or Delete also are both funny and likable features.

I think to really become great, the show just needs the benefit of time. To improve, the One Direction chat and tween targeting should steadily erode (which will probably happen once the show settles), and the bosses need to let Grimshaw be himself. He's at his best when he's being sarky and ranting about people and daytime music he dislikes. The Guardian described him as "bitchy", which I think is a pretty good description. I hope this doesn't get stamped out.

They need to increase not reduce 1D and tween references as these will help pull in the teens whilst hopefully causing 20/30 somethings to turn off which helps lower the average age which is the sole remit of the controller as stipulated by the BBC Trust, 20/30s are needed by commercial radio, over 40s get Radio 2 so Radio 1 aims at under 20s.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    They need to increase not reduce 1D and tween references as these will help pull in the teens whilst hopefully causing 20/30 somethings to turn off which helps lower the average age which is the sole remit of the controller as stipulated by the BBC Trust, 20/30s are needed by commercial radio, over 40s get Radio 2 so Radio 1 aims at under 20s.

Which is fine but in my area where my commerical alternatives on FM are Heart Three Counties and Classic FM. I'm just a lost Male listener. Whilst I'm now listening to Radio 2 more but I find the music a bit hit and miss but a bit more broadened than if I was listening to Heart :D
    Forum Member
    Which is fine but in my area where my commerical alternatives on FM are Heart Three Counties and Classic FM. I'm just a lost Male listener. Whilst I'm now listening to Radio 2 more but I find the music a bit hit and miss but a bit more broadened than if I was listening to Heart :D

I'm in the same boat and would like to think for the cost of my licence fee the BBC could provide a breakfast show which appeals, warming to Chris Evans (a big fan of his radIo 1 breakfast show) but feels a bit old, would be great if he bought back the Grandstand symphony game.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    On the trails, I don't know what anyone else thinks but the rambling: "Here's what happened and here's what's happening tomorrow" style currently adopted doesn't work for me.

Recently they had Lily Allen on playing Call or Delete? A great guest, potentially controversial, for a great feature. But instead of playing clips of what was probably at times hilarious radio, Nick rambled on for half a minute instead.

Now I'm over 30 so they don't want me, but surely a few clips of that and "One Direction (or whoever) are in the studio tomorrow" is more likely to get people revved up for the next day's show?

Agree the trails fall flat with him listed whats on tomorrow and what they had on today's show. Unless it's to the ease pressure of having to find funny bits for trails every day.
  • mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I've finally switched off Radio 1! I'm in the age bracket that they dont want any more and this week i found that when i put radio 1 on in the morning it was all about One Direction and then when I heard Greg doing the same thing I just couldnt take it any more.

I'm all for them targeting a younger audience but its just such a lazy way to do it by using One Direction. There are other pop artists out there!

Anyway, Capital it is for me now although I listen to Capital London on my phone rather than my local one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Crikey - this bloke just does not get any better.
    I give him a year tops.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mugwuff wrote: »
    Anyway, Capital it is for me now although I listen to Capital London on my phone rather than my local one.

What's your local Capital station?
    Forum Member
    I've noticed he back announces most songs as 'that was the sound of...', like Tony Blackburn would, have Radio 1 gone full circle and got the moder day Smashie/Nicie presenting the breakfast show?
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    My biggest issue is that show doesn't really offer anything. It's doesn't have any decent features or contain decent conversation. To me it just seems like a filler show until something better comes along. It's also seems pretty obvious that he doesn't care as much about the show as Moyles did.

Scott Mills is able to release a 40 odd minute download every single day because his show contains enough material to fill it. I'd be surprised is Nick has 40 minutes of highlights at the end of every week let alone every day. (Not that I want Scott to host breakfast mind you, I love his current slot)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was around 12 when Simon Mayo was on Radio1 Breakfast. I don't recall *much* Take That / East17 promotion ...or even any features particularly aimed at the teen demographic - the target demographic was very broad back then. But I loved listening to the show regardless. It was entertaining and informative.
    With Chris Evans, it would sometimes go off-target and would reference 60s / 70s memes that I didn't get, but the pure energy, humour and unpredictability more than made up for it.

It sounds like feedback from the past few weeks has been generally very negative, even from teens. I wonder what that equals for male teens, with the focus on boy groups?

Whether the blame should be directed at The Government, The BBC Trust or the controller of Radio1 controller, if sounds like they're taking a prize asset, a station that does a lot of good for the music industry and society in general and dicing it up to pass listeners on to the commercial sector. This wouldn't be so bad if the commercial landscape was like it was the 80s / 90s, but given that it's a handful of groups with seemingly very little talent being nurtured, this one policy sounds like it could be very self-defeating for anyone who isn't a shareholder in the radio groups.

All we can hope for is that the next 10 years of internet-based radio listening can break down the barriers of entry and provide a viable revenue model that isn't entirely based on adverts.
  • TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having surfed around the last few weeks, I think I'm settled on Keaveny now. Best mix of music and chat.

I heard him play a good few tracks this morning that Annie Mac has on her Friday night R1 show - giving even more weight to the theory that R1 Breakfast is decidedly going for the tweens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having surfed around the last few weeks, I think I'm settled on Keaveny now. Best mix of music and chat.

I heard him play a good few tracks this morning that Annie Mac has on her Friday night R1 show - giving even more weight to the theory that R1 Breakfast is decidedly going for the tweens.

When I'm at home, I listen to Shaun Keaveny usually, but this morning, I thought I'd listen to Nick.

Only really hear Nick in the car, and only at 5-10 minutes at a time.

I listened for about an hour and a half today, and either I'm missing something, or his show is actually pretty decent.

I'm not sure why so many are so turned off, but then again, I'm not really that frequent a visitor to this sub-forum...so I'm not your typical radio geek?

I just like hearing songs I like, and listening to a dj I can relate to.

I also quite like show quizness :o..