Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She tore out the bits she knew would be most useful to them but let them take the bits that were most useful to her?
    Ahh that would make sense :)

The other thing I don't get is why everyone is so desperate to get hold of a sample of the russian flu vaccine? Wasn't it clear that the government had ordered millions of pounds worth of it, and in any case it would have to be manufactured in vast quantities for it to achieve the desired effect of world sterilisation. So surely sooner or later it will be everywhere and anyone who wants to examine it would be able to obtain it easily?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we will be treated to Mr Rabbit making his escape from an SAS lockdown :D
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    The Assistant is the decoy. Mr Rabbit is Milner's son, or Alice's dad. or Grant's dad, or Wilson's dad - it will be a massive curve-ball

A-That doesn't make any sense
    B-You're clearly taking the piss
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    Ahh that would make sense :)

The other thing I don't get is why everyone is so desperate to get hold of a sample of the russian flu vaccine? Wasn't it clear that the government had ordered millions of pounds worth of it, and in any case it would have to be manufactured in vast quantities for it to achieve the desired effect of world sterilisation. So surely sooner or later it will be everywhere and anyone who wants to examine it would be able to obtain it easily?

I agree. And Donaldson's lab didn't look that well equipped to find a single gene mutation to express one amino acid. I mean, if his burger got mixed in the sample it would be horse DNA!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    A-That doesn't make any sense
    B-You're clearly taking the piss

Like many have said - it's best just to go along for the ride. But I do like to speculate no matter how mad it might seem, Then I'll be able to do a Gatehouse and say "I predicted that!" Sorry, Gatehouse ;)
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I miss anything between Dugdale giving the scientists address and Grant being arrested? I was watching live online and lost the connection for a minute.

I really liked the sterilisation twist, completely wasn't expecting that and can't believe I'm finding myself sort of agreeing...

Arby was adorable this episode!

Not really no I'm presuming dugdales house was being watched the whole time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    I'm presuming dugdales house was being watched the whole time.
    I read it more that Dugdale phoned the police, and that's why he left the room, though admittedly if that's the case then his motivation isn't clear at this stage. There was a shot of him after the police arrived where he didn't look particularly surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea maybe your correct. He did get his deal in the end so prob didnt want to ruin it.
    Forum Member
    I read it more that Dugdale phoned the police, and that's what the phone call he made was, though admittedly if that's the case then his motivation isn't clear at this stage.

Agree with that, his face at the end was a bit enigmatic. Maybe he didn't want any more trouble because he has enough on his plate with the deal with the prostitute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Ah, thank you! I kind of assumed his wife had spotted Grant and called them, but that makes sense, especially now he has his money and baby mama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Yea maybe your correct. He did get his deal in the end so prob didnt want to ruin it.

He THINKS he has his deal - that's how stupid he's been!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I could be very wrong :)

Also, it seemed the police were after Grant specifically rather than Ian, which implies these are "normal" police looking for a killer on the run rather than those acting on behalf of The Network (who presumably would be keen on detaining both of them.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it more that Dugdale phoned the police, and that's why he left the room, though admittedly if that's the case then his motivation isn't clear at this stage. There was a shot of him after the police arrived where he didn't look particularly surprised.

Indeed. And Dugdale's character is such that he would have thrown some kind of cowardly protestation at their invasion of his propert "I'm a government minister" and all that, had he not been in some way complicit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well I still think he will be offed next week anyway lol
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it again on 4+, let's see Dugdale's face.

Also, he knew Donaldson was dodgy so it's unlikely that he would phone him
    Forum Member
    Dugdale clearly phoned the police, you can see that his wife is not even in the kitchen anymore by the time they try to escape
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Great show!
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member

His motive is clear: he's made his deal (ahem) with the Network, so he's one of them now. One look from his wife was enough for him to buckle. And all that I said about him being a man who lies and bluffs and sleeps with **** rather than our hero came home to roost tonight!
    Forum Member
    Grant's in deep doo-doo. The only person capable of clearing him is Arby if he fesses up, and that would take some unlikely acrobatics to pull off in one episode. Assuming the asthmatic beast can get out of his smoking cell..(he really needed to use his inhaler after that sprint!). As it goes, these being "normal police" probably won't help Grant in the slightest as they seem to have swallowed the given line-and if anyone questions it, the Network have enough powerful placemen to shut them up. Jessica did say she'd keep him safe-maybe she'll ride to his rescue?

Arby really did dominate this episode. Not a massive hook to find out he was Jessica's brother-it seemed too obvious to be the direction and Lett's story-telling to Arby certainly didn't hint at it. But everything about Arby's behaviour toward Jessica did. I just loved the way he set up everything in his "one last job" so meticulously and carried it off with such relish, from the gun in the toilet to the prepared fire-trap. "Are you wearing your seatbelt?" was possibly my favourite scene of the whole series :cool:

He's the first person to outsmart Jessica with his toilet-gun trick! The scene where he tells Jessica about how he "went wrong" and implores her not to read the manuscript broke my heart..he's one of my favourite anti-hero's ever. Kudos to Neil Maskell for a stunning performance as a Frankenstein's Monster of a character. Particularly loved the part where he described the rock and how it was used to justify his "philosophy". The "not at the end of a gun" bit kicked ass, too..not for taking orders any more, our Arby. If Rabbit exists and needs taking down, I hope Arby gets out of that fire in time to be the one to do it! He's had every bit as much taken from him as Jessica.

We've probably at least seen the last of Team Arby-Hyde (or should that be Team Carvel?) at any rate. The look on Jessica's face as she held the gun up to Arby at the end shows that she does feel some of the empathy he's been trying to express (again, Arby better at expressing emotions than Jessica is-he genuinely is a fan!), but ultimately thinks he is beyond help and probably of no use any more. Guess we'll have to see just what effect the manuscript has on her. So far we've just had more of the "precious....." hugging :rolleyes:

As far as the big conspiracy reveal goes, I'm not sure where I stand morally-so I guess the writers achieved what they were aiming for. Great "sell" by Rea, too. But my conspiracy theory buddies talk quite a lot about the contradictory nature of the World Health Organisations focus on population control; their view is that they should be trying to cure and prevent disease rather than stop people from breeding. The World Health Organisation would agree with Letts in theory, if not his method. But there has to be a better more humane solution than this: how about redistributing wealth globally and educating the globe so that population growth becomes controlled at Western levels? Put aside the private pursuit of profit and wealth and it could be done-the capacity is there, just not the unified will (see Hicks, Bill ;)). But then, we're not a particularly kind, considerate and unified species, are we? Donaldson and Letts with their shades of evil are more representative of our nature, so that route is probably a more likely "solution" than us overcoming centuries of competition to work together.

I suppose there was a bit of a hint that this was the Network plan-the whole fertility back-story of Dugdale set the scene really. Consider that, btw, when Dugdale is making his fatal decision to betray the gang that he has just "secured" his child-and then been told that mankind is to be made almost entirely infertile. That child suddenly takes on an even more precious quality in a Children of Men kinda way. Well, I hope either Dugdale gets a bullet or it turns out that Anya isn't really preggers :p
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To whoever brought up the Sky link to this programme, it says in the credits British Sky Broadcasting partly funded this production.
    Forum Member
    If there's someone who deserves to die at the end of this is Dugdale. I loathe him now. And he can take Donaldson with him, please.
    Forum Member
    Btw, great post Gatehouse, as ever.
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    If there's someone who deserves to die at the end of this is Dugdale. I loathe him now. And he can take Donaldson with him, please.

Glad you're with me on Dugdale. But Donaldson is fun..the devil always has the best tunes :D

Talking of which..good job it's my day off tomorrow, I'm getting buried in reading articles about Eugenics & population control whilst listening to the State of the Union Address :)

This is chilling, particularly around P.6-7.

phttp://www.elliotinstitute.org/images/EugenicsInTransition.pdf

For those who can't be bothered to read it, Fairfield Osborn's following quote is a great example:

"The problem of the pressure increasing populations-perhaps the greatest problem facing humanity today-cannot be solved in a way consistent with the ideals of humanity".

The PDF has some more recent history towards the bottom. It pointed me the way of this chap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M73SFtZxy0

Whilst the PDF isn't kind about him (p.17-18), I find myself agreeing with most of what he says! He's in favour of my hippy-style solution rather than Lett's brutal sterilisation. But as he says at the end, his kind of "austerity for equality" long-term approach would lose any Western politician their job!
    Forum Member
    Any political parties reading this-I've got "Austerity for Equality" trademarked: give me a job for life with your organisation as a spin doctor and you can have it ;)
  • _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could there be a second series of Utopia? I saw the advert for the DVD straight after last nights episode and it clearly stated 'Series 1' on the cover.