Can I hand in my CV and Cover Letter on the closing date of applications?

loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Most of it my fault with laziness, but I haven't even written my cv or cover letter yet, I have a rough draft just need to type it up. My computer is messed and my sister have given her laptop away to get repaired, my other sister is going to let me use hers.

The closing date for my job application is Tuesday and ideally I will have wanted it done by Monday but now it looks like ill have to hand it in in the closing date. Ideally would I be able to hand it in on the actual closing date and the store closes and 8 so even if I get there just before 8 and hand it in will that be ok or is it really bad and they won't even consider me?

Comments

• Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be fine.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    And there was me thinking closing dates for job applications were a thing of the past
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see why not as that is the last day for applications.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done it before...and got the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but don't be surprised if there is an unwritten assumption that applications close at 5pm. Or even with the last post delivery. Play safe and get it in as early as you can.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, get it in! And good luck.
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Most of it my fault with laziness, but I haven't even written my cv or cover letter yet, I have a rough draft just need to type it up. My computer is messed and my sister have given her laptop away to get repaired, my other sister is going to let me use hers.

The closing date for my job application is Tuesday and ideally I will have wanted it done by Monday but now it looks like ill have to hand it in in the closing date. Ideally would I be able to hand it in on the actual closing date and the store closes and 8 so even if I get there just before 8 and hand it in will that be ok or is it really bad and they won't even consider me?

As a letter of the law by hand, they say the 'close of play' be it 5pm.

With Retail Stores, if it's just a case and a procedure of handing the CV in, you'll be fine as long as it's within that day.

Don't worry, and good luck.:cool::cool:
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samwalk wrote: »
    Yes but don't be surprised if there is an unwritten assumption that applications close at 5pm. Or even with the last post delivery. Play safe and get it in as early as you can.

Yeh I wasn't planning on giving it around 8 but I thought just in case things go bad in the sense that I makes mistakes and have to redo, if it will be ok to hand it in as late as I possibly can.

Hopefully ill hand it by early afternoon. Fingers crossed it goes well and I get the job!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've all been there, Ed Richards, head of Ofcom, only got his application in for BBC Director General on the closing day.

Technically it might be possible to get an application in just before 5pm or 8pm, but annoying the selection panel by getting into an argument about the legalities of the process is never a good move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys ill be handing it in today but theres another problem, my cover letter goes over to another page and they say a cover letter should only be one side long it shouldnt go over, or is it ok? it goes over by 8 lines
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^

That should be fine. They won't be bothered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i made the font a bit smaller and now its only three lines over
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i made the font a bit smaller and now its only three lines over

Hand it in. Three lines onto a nother page isn't going to give cause for concern...! Good luck!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can, I've emailed one in at 10 minutes to midnight on the closing date before.

However you chould check the advert because sometimes closing dates are quoted as mid-day on the final day.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys ill be handing it in today but theres another problem, my cover letter goes over to another page and they say a cover letter should only be one side long it shouldnt go over, or is it ok? it goes over by 8 lines

I would advise you to edit it down. Keep it to one page. There has to be some tidying up you can do!
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    I would advise you to edit it down. Keep it to one page. There has to be some tidying up you can do!

I agree with this. They must be duplicating stuff on the cover letter that's already in the CV if the letter is over a page long - and that isn't good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edited it, changed the font and proof read everything and only my name after yours sincerely came over the page is that ok?
    Forum Member
    Edited it, changed the font and proof read everything and only my name after yours sincerely came over the page is that ok?

Is the salutation Dear Sir/Madam? If so, you need to put Yours faithfully, just thought I should check that. and no, you cannot have a second page with your name on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Is the salutation Dear Sir/Madam? If so, you need to put Yours faithfully, just thought I should check that. and no, you cannot have a second page with your name on it.

You're going to think we're very picky OP. :( Ideally, get it on one page. Reduce the spacings; don't make the font too small, though.

Ella Nut's right - you must have duplicated something from your CV. There's no need to say anything twice. Read it again. And again, and again. Keep it to the point, not too wordy, no need for too many adjectives. It's not an essay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shit, its too late now i ve handed it in, i didnt want to hand it in on the last day and it turn out i wasnt free at all tomorrow, argh im peed off with myself.:mad::(

thankfully there is another job going as well which just wants a cv so ill go hand it in in a couple of days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shit, its too late now i ve handed it in, i didnt want to hand it in on the last day and it turn out i was free at all tomorrow, argh im peed off with myself.:mad::(

thankfully there is another job going as well which just wants a cv so ill go hand it in in a couple of days

:D Best of luck with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks i think, i just really wanted this one and was positive about it
    Forum Member
    shit, its too late now i ve handed it in, i didnt want to hand it in on the last day and it turn out i was free at all tomorrow, argh im peed off with myself.:mad::(

Don't worry about it. If you're unsuccessful resolve not to be so "lazy" next time, and get ahead of the game. Not only will you have time to consider how best to put yourself across, but you won't panic and write too much in a letter, which you may have done this time (better to say too much than not enough eh?). Not only that eagerness is an attribute that will serve you well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks ella