New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Reports are saying that the Man Of Steel sequel will be fast tracked for release next year!

This sounds a terrible idea if true as the film would be rushed just to cash in on the sucess on the first film!

They should take their time and release it in 2015 before bringing other DC superheroes to the big screen before eventually rebooting Batman!
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who thinks lois and Clark with dean Cain and teri hatcher was the ultimate definition of superman and their ideal, it was for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Reports are saying that the Man Of Steel sequel will be fast tracked for release next year!

This sounds a terrible idea if true as the film would be rushed just to cash in on the sucess on the first film!

They should take their time and release it in 2015 before bringing other DC superheroes to the big screen before eventually rebooting Batman!
    I'm sure it was revealed they were fast-tracking a sequel, before it was even released...

Clearly Lionsgate's treatment of the Hunger Games and Twilight is changing industry expectations. Anyway, the Batman reboot will come as a part of the planned Justice League movie to capitalize on the success of the Avengers. Rumor has it Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be the next Batman (as a possible continuation from The Dark Knight Rises)

(Ironically, the original Avengers comic was released 3 years after Justice League, presumably in a similar cash in attempt)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »

I'd take those reports with a pinch of salt, an effects heavy blockbuster like a Superman movie would stand no chance of being written, filmed and released within 12 months. That's part of the reason why Jurrassic Park 4 has been delayed, and JP4 had already begun pre-production, so an MoS sequel would stand no chance of being released next year.
    Forum Member
    Rumor has it Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be the next Batman (as a possible continuation from The Dark Knight Rises)

This has already been debunked. David S Goyer has explicitly stated that the Nolan Batman films are in their own universe and that the TDK universe won't be part of any potential Justice League movie.
    Forum Member
    Yeah David Goyer has said that Nolan Batman films are not part of the Man Of Steel universe so its very likely that Bruce Wayne would be recast for the Justice League/Batman reboot films!

There had been rumours about Man Of Steel sequels before the first film was released but nothing about it being fast tracked as that rumour only was being reported in the last 24 hours!
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don’t get why people watch all that.

If I go to the cinema, I deliberately go in 20 minutes after the scheduled start time. I’d rather miss a bit of the film than have to sit watching adverts.

i hate people who do that. Making you stand up while they try and find 4 seats together, just as you are enjoying the trailers.:rolleyes:
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    i hate people who do that. Making you stand up while they try and find 4 seats together, just as you are enjoying the trailers.:rolleyes:
    The other side to your complaint is that I can imagine some people arriving in perfect time for the film only to find 4 people got there early to watch the adverts and are blocking the row!

Let’s face it, any irritation caused by people arriving at totally different times is the cinema’s fault. Primarily due to seating design. But also, if they started the film at the advertised time then there would be no guesswork involved for those of us who just came to watch a film and don’t wish to have 20 minutes of our day wasted watching mind-numbing adverts.

I very rarely go to the cinema any more (last film I saw was Toy Story 3) and I am starting to hate cinemas. Not only is it arguably more enjoyable watching films at home with an infinitely more comfy seat and legroom, a screen that doesn’t flicker, and complete silence. But also I disagree with the principle of being charged to watch adverts. I say either make entrance free and force people to watch adverts, or let them pay for a commercial-free experience. Same complaint goes to Sky TV.

If you would like to come round my house to watch a film, I promise I won’t walk in the room late and make you stand up! :)
    Apologies, I assumed this was a spoiler filled thread for those who had seen the film.
    Oh well never mind. There are really more important things in life than worrying about spoilers. When I read the spoiler I thought I cared, but on reflection I don’t care so much and chances are I’m probably not going to be watching this film for a few years until it comes to Film4.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine MoS 2 will be Summer 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another DC film in the same year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    The only other thing I had a problem with was the fighting. What is the point of them throwing each other through buildings, if it doesn't hurt them?

Because you as a viewer are supposed to be in awe at the CGI.

I was going to see the film until I read some of the posts on here. As soon as I saw the running time was 2hrs 23 minutes with over long fight scenes I knew this one isn't for me.
    I've never been a massive Superman fan as IMO the character is deeply flawed and so I can't care about him.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely loved this. The action and special effects were fantastic and really showed what superheroes and villains are capable of so I did prefer this to Avengers Assemble. Quite emotional too especially that flashback at the end which really worked for me. Music was great too. Henry Cavill was perfect in the role and I loved Faora too. I will be seeing it again in 2D rather than 3D.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you are a fan of comic book movies as well as critically acclaimed movies like godfather,shawshank redemption and scent of a women then read on as my review might be coming from same place you are! :) beware of spoilers below:

film has a great start with a new take on krypton that i really liked, don't understand why the codex was a skull but other than that it was a great opening scene and Russel crowe makes a good jor el.

the use of flash backs was well done but it still felt like we kinda missed out abit on clarks life

clark himself comes across as quite cold, i thought cavil acting was a bit wooden to be honest in parts, although he does look the part, i think i turned a bit gay whilst watching.

alot of first hour seemed a bit rush to me, the speeches,lois finding out who he is and clark learning of his heritage etc, film moved at a helluva pace. still nothing too detrimental to your enjoyment

zod and his army(hot hot women) were great, they were not cheesy evil, just fulfill their military destiny so to speak, the action scenes were crazy and they did not hold back! nor should they considering two super powers are fighting each other on earth!

regarding the civilian deaths, this reboot is a more gritter take on it, less cheesy,simply put superman cant save everyone.

the action scenes were amazing and destruction made transformers like a small clean up job but their was perhaps to much emphasis on CGI, could have been toned down slightly

the score was brilliant from hans zimmer and directing wise i felt synder did well, some cracking shots and i liked the darker colour palette

the clark we all know and love didn't really rear his head till final scene at the planet, this film is different at the end of the day, hes superman...but not as we know him :)

so yeah because its different it ticks some boxes and not others but its a damn good movie and i think majority will really enjoy it, i cant wait for sequel

3.5/5
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with the flashbacks for me means that they're likely to be in MOS2 too, so we should more then. For me, that could be better than doing it in a more linear manner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Managed to watch this last night. Was sceptical at first after reading things on DS about MoS. I thought it was a good movie experience but I do have to agree with a lot of posters on here about its length. The fights were far too long to a point that climax didn't give a big impact ( just more showing off with CGI) but loved that they actually showed that Superman cannot save everyone.

The flashbacks were emotional and some of the best scenes especially when Clark said
    "Can't I just keep pretending to be your son?"
    . Thought it was well acted ...but not enough Lois Lane...not much of character development. On a shallow note, was I the only one who preferred the rugged Cavill? Not that he was ugly when he was clean-cut. That man is beautiful. :o

Was kinda of disappointed with Zimmer. Expected the soundtrack to be a lot better.

Overall it was good set up for MoS 2.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i cant stop listening to zimmers "ideal of hope" personally
  • Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I've seen it twice now, will probably go to see it again but definitely in 2D next time. I got the soundtrack delivered on Friday, love it, both CD's and I got the novelisation delivered this morning so I'm going to have a pretty good MoS couple of days.

After seeing it for the second time, there's definitely light moments/humour in the film. Again, the film flew by for me, didn't even think about a cigarette. I remember going for 2 during Superman Returns, missed the whole piano throwing moment, meh.

After the first showing, I thought I had enjoyed Batman Begins more. This one is definitely a grower. Can't wait for the special edition director's cut lose a week of your life blu-ray to come out. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bore!

This film has not one original bone in its body. Who doesn't know Superman's back story by now? And if you didn't, then there's the original 78 film or Superman Returns that tell EXACTLY the same story.

The question is, why are audiences prepared to pay out to see films that already exist? Perhaps the answer lies in some pretty snappy marketing, with the term 'reboot'. It's a pseudo technological term for repeat, essentially, or makeover. But as a current buzzword, it seems to have got audiences hooked.

OK the recent Batman trilogy had a darker edge, granted, but this effort is as dark as Jimmy Carr's teeth.

It is a dull re-telling, offering nothing in the way of originality. Nothing.

Review here.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it twice now, will probably go to see it again but definitely in 2D next time. I got the soundtrack delivered on Friday, love it, both CD's and I got the novelisation delivered this morning so I'm going to have a pretty good MoS couple of days.

After seeing it for the second time, there's definitely light moments/humour in the film. Again, the film flew by for me, didn't even think about a cigarette. I remember going for 2 during Superman Returns, missed the whole piano throwing moment, meh.

After the first showing, I thought I had enjoyed Batman Begins more. This one is definitely a grower. Can't wait for the special edition director's cut lose a week of your life blu-ray to come out. :p

Fair assessment I think. Same with me regarding the film flying by, and watching it in 2D next time!
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bore!

This film has not one original bone in its body. Who doesn't know Superman's back story by now? And if you didn't, then there's the original 78 film or Superman Returns that tell EXACTLY the same story.

No they don't. This has an entirely different approach to the story! Flashbacks, amended origins. Does "exactly" mean a different word where you come from? They've taken quite chance amending so much of such a familiar story. Have you really seen these movies? And returns was basically a continuation of '78 so of course it was the same. Even then they presented parts of Smallville that hadn't been lifted from the other one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    This has already been debunked. David S Goyer has explicitly stated that the Nolan Batman films are in their own universe and that the TDK universe won't be part of any potential Justice League movie.
    Really? Cos if that was his plan he'd blatantly just admit it, before the film's even been greenlit.

That said, it was obvious they wouldn't do that, because Batman wouldn't be Bruce Wayne and all the comic book nerds would have a seizure...
    Forum Member
    I think it's best to recast Bruce Wayne/Batman for a reboot and have someone younger than Christan Bale.More the same age as Cavill to fit in with MOS DC world!

Although I think we will have a MOS sequel in 2015 before we get any other DC superhero on the big screen!

Hopefully with Lex Luther in it!
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it, what can unsay 9/10
    Forum Member
    Just saw it again tonight and can confirm that at no point does Henry Cavill morph into Christopher Reeve, the people who are seeing that happen are definitely seeing things that aren't there. I made a point of keeping my eyes locked on him at the points that people mentioned in this thread and at no point does his face "change".
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bore!

The question is, why are audiences prepared to pay out to see films that already exist? Perhaps the answer lies in some pretty snappy marketing, with the term 'reboot'. It's a pseudo technological term for repeat, essentially, or makeover. But as a current buzzword, it seems to have got audiences hooked.

OK the recent Batman trilogy had a darker edge, granted, but this effort is as dark as Jimmy Carr's teeth.

It is a dull re-telling, offering nothing in the way of originality. Nothing.

Review here.
    This reads like a review constructed solely by cobbling together second hand opinions found on the internet, are you sure you've even seen it? That comment about having the exact same story as the past films is completely false, I don't know how someone who has seen them all could even think of saying it.
  • darren221980darren221980 Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night and absolutely loved it :) I'd give it a 9/10.

The only gripe i had with the film was some of the action scenes were so quick that they were going blurry. I thought my contact lenses were playing up at first however another two guys i went with noticed it too. Glad i didn't bother with the 3D version as i imagine that it may have been worse.