Options

The 'Now that's what I call music' series

spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching a TV show about this, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of the first one. I was shocked when they said that early ones are worth quite a lot - can anyone confirm this? I've got Now that's what I call music 5 (from 1985) on cassette.

Comments

• Options
    MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I was watching a TV show about this, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of the first one. I was shocked when they said that early ones are worth quite a lot - can anyone confirm this? I've got Now that's what I call music 5 (from 1985) on cassette.
    I can confirm this. I own the first Now released on CD, Now 4. It took me several years to finally find a copy on eBay about 10 years ago. It's now worth approximately 200 pounds.The other early Now CD's like 8 and 9 also are valuable, but the Now 4 CD release is the most rare. An article in Record Collector recently also pointed out that the Now 35 vinyl is valuable,too, at about 80 pounds. This is due to the fact that it was the last Now to be released on vinyl.

Marshall

An article on my favorite Now Music releases (as of about a year ago):
    http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/A-look-at-some-Now-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-releases
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Do you think that cassettes would be valuable though? Judging by what you've said, I would say maybe I'd get about £30 for it.
  • Options
    MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Interesting. Do you think that cassettes would be valuable though? Judging by what you've said, I would say maybe I'd get about £30 for it.
    I would think the early double cassette Now's would be worth some money. There's a dealer on eBay who's selling the Now 3, Now 4, Now 6 and more for approximately 24 pounds each. Will he get that price? Depends on how much someone wants to buy it.

Marshall
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still have NOW7 double tape
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i have the first two albums on vinyl..in the attic , wow, 30 years ago :eek:
  • Options
    MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Now 2 on cassette, but know it is worth very little, so shan't get excited! (They're on amazon for peanuts) CD's I only have from Now20 onwards.
    Really disappointed in the latest one though. They had a real opportunity to do a great 30years edition. And it is such pants! Way too much new stuff and not a single nod to some of the biggest selling artists/groups from the majority of that 30 year period :(
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what I see, the cassettes and vinyl's dont go for too much unless as one of the posters said, Now 35 which was the last one did get £75 when I had an eye on an Ebay Auction.

As for the CD's. Now 4 being the first regularly goes for £300 and upwards on Ebay. The next ones Now 8 and 9 (which are all 3 CD's are single CD affairs btw) can go for over £60+. From Now 10 onwards to about Now20 or so except to pay around £20 each and as the Now's get nearer to the time then the price drops.

Bizarrely Now 1 which was remastered and released on CD for the first time in 2008 to mark the 25th anniversary, theres some people on Ebay trying their luck with Buy Me Nows for over £50! I only paid a tenner for it in the supermarket at the time. Mind you, a quick look on Amazon and one seller is selling it for £115 new!

Still if you want the complete set on CD then one seller is selling it for £850!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOW-4-CD-AND-COMPLETE-COLLECTION-OF-EVERY-OTHER-NOW-CD-FROM-8-TO-83-/111097927889?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item19ddf3d8d1
  • Options
    swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I remember getting Now 25 on tape in like 1993 when I was 10 lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Now 55 for a quid recently in a charity shop... I already own it but it's in such good condition compared to my current copy (I bought it when it came out in 2003 when I was 9) I bought it again :p
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The early CD versions probably sound better too - as they haven't been remastered / butchered / loudness maximised for 'da kids' wiv their iPods they were nice original master transfers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today I found Now 29 complete in very good condition for 95p in my local charity shop - I already own the album but I couldn't leave it behind at that price! Bargain or what?

I also found Now 50 Disc 1 inside a Pepsi Chart album box on it's own and the woman on the till let me have it for free as it was in the wrong box :p
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that NOW aren't bothering with CD versions of NOW 2 - 7. It would've been a great way for avid collectors to complete the NOW collection on CD in the brands 30th year.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today I found Now 29 complete in very good condition for 95p in my local charity shop - I already own the album but I couldn't leave it behind at that price! Bargain or what?

I also found Now 50 Disc 1 inside a Pepsi Chart album box on it's own and the woman on the till let me have it for free as it was in the wrong box :p

You took something free from a charity shop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    You took something free from a charity shop?

Yes I did, why?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the Now Music albums are on Itunes now. So now people can get all the albums in relative good quality rather than made up albums with different bitrates per song.

TBH only the first 10 albums are my fave, then they start getting into the 90s and the songs start getting too samey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame that NOW aren't bothering with CD versions of NOW 2 - 7. It would've been a great way for avid collectors to complete the NOW collection on CD in the brands 30th year.

It would be good if they release a 10 cd box set for 1-10, 11-20, etc.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've only got Now: The Christmas album on cassette and one disc of Now 77 I picked up at a college CD fair. It was lying around and they said I could have it for free :D
  • Options
    hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I've seen the CD version of NOW 4 on ebay for £500. They really do need to release 2 - 9 on double CD. If not, then at least release it on iTunes with the whole back catalog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the CD version of NOW 4 on ebay for £500. They really do need to release 2 - 9 on double CD. If not, then at least release it on iTunes with the whole back catalog.

They have been released on iTunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have been take down though. They should put the whole back catalog on iTunes and just leave it there permanently.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad has Now 7 on vinyl.

My first was Now 52 when I was 10. The last one I bought was Now 90s on eBay earlier this year. Before that it was Now 66 in 2007, just before I started downloading music (a bit late, I know!).
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Now's did they put on itunes my earliest from itunes is Now 70
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dale0693 wrote: »
    What Now's did they put on itunes my earliest from itunes is Now 70

According to hadjilouca05 they've been taken down. Not sure why.

But there was at least Nos 1 - 15.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They get taken down when they've been out for ages. At the moment, the earliest album in the main series which you can purchase off iTunes is NOW 79.
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have been released on iTunes.

I am confused - what were on iTunes exactly?