An Irish Woman and a British Woman or Two British Women?

Comments

• mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AND a Tardis! :D

IF I got out alive:D
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true - after all, they still eat their young down there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true - after all, they still eat their young down there...

Make sure you get the "Jon Joe" sat nav fitted before going to the port:D
    http://youtu.be/yoNNi6NuKbU
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Initial reports said she was originally from Monaghan which would therefore make her Irish.

Don't pretend it doesn't go both ways though, if I hear Graham Norton say "we" when referring to UK once more...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't pretend it doesn't go both ways though, if I hear Graham Norton say "we" when referring to UK once more...

The rule applies the other way - Graham Norton would be fully Irish and partly British....until he switched electoral register and registered for tax purposes in the UK.
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    This isn't me arguing but I'm intrigues to know why you feel more Irish than British?

Just because I feel strongly the opposite way so trying to gain some sort of understanding for the Irish identified folks

Just being brought up with Irish way of life, Love Irish music. Irish dance. I think my personality is that of an Irish person. I think it's just in me, I feel comfortable round Irish people than I do round British(who I get on well with). I know there are other posters on quoting facts about electoral rolls and all the rest and they can do it to their hearts content but ye can't make someone feel something that they're not (don't know if explained that too well) and I get you feel the same on the opposite side. Thanks for asking btw maybe you can tell me about your Britishness sometime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feelings and national identity don't actually have very much to do with nationality...

Suprisingly enough, the latter is surrounded by legal frameworks and laws...
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Again...complicated...
    Norton has stated that he felt "out of place" having been raised Protestant in a mostly Catholic Republic of Ireland, especially during the height of The Troubles. Norton took part in the TV programme Who Do You Think You Are?, to trace his ancestry. It was discovered that his family were originally planters sent over from England to take over Irish land. Some members of his family had fought for the British monarchy during the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and taken part in the Carnew massacre. Another member of his family was later killed in battle by the United Irishmen. Norton said he was comforted to find out that his family had resided in Ireland for generations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rule applies the other way - Graham Norton would be fully Irish and partly British....until he switched electoral register and registered for tax purposes in the UK.

I know there's parts of Cork more British than London but how would Graham Norton be partly British before switching electoral register? I paid taxes in France, it didn't make me part French.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just being brought up with Irish way of life, Love Irish music. Irish dance. I think my personality is that of an Irish person. I think it's just in me, I feel comfortable round Irish people than I do round British(who I get on well with). I know there are other posters on quoting facts about electoral rolls and all the rest and they can do it to their hearts content but ye can't make someone feel something that they're not (don't know if explained that too well) and I get you feel the same on the opposite side. Thanks for asking btw maybe you can tell me about your Britishness sometime.
    It actually must be quiet baffling for you to be asked to explain your Irishness when you were born and bred in Ireland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know there's parts of Cork more British than London but how would Graham Norton be partly British before switching electoral register? I paid taxes in France, it didn't make me part French.
    We won't go mad... Bandon would be still the most "protestant" town but I can assure you its nothing like London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there's parts of Cork more British than London but how would Graham Norton be partly British before switching electoral register?

Because as an Irish citizen, under the 1921 Anglo-Irish treaty HE too has a right to "dual citizenship"...

It's not just people born in Northern Ireland - people born in the Republic have it too! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because as an Irish citizen, under the 1921 Anglo-Irish treaty HE too has a right to "dual citizenship"...

It's not just people born in Northern Ireland - people born in the Republic have it too! :eek:
    So could I get a British passport if I wanted?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    We won't go mad... Bandon would be still the most "protestant" town but I can assure you its nothing like London.

Considering how cosmopolitan London is would saying parts of Cork are more British be really that much of a stretch?

Having said that it's not a clear cut issue anyway, there were people celebrating the defeats of Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan in last year's Olympics because they had the temerity to box for Ireland despite the rules in place that didn't allow them to box for team GB.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah yes, I agree it's a lot in the way you were brought up. This would mostly be the case for me too (except with me it's obviously things geared towards Britain)

I won't pretend I 'get' you any further than that though :p

thanks for answering though

ps. whereabouts are you from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Supposedly yes! I don't personally know any Irish citizens who have ever bothered though...but Irish citizens CAN for instance go to London and claim British welfare benefits! I mean they always could, even before the EU :D

Which is where the "Kilburn Irish" have come from :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOl, you do not need one, the last elections here had a record 65% turnout of 2.3 million people, there are only 1.8 million people in the country:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering how cosmopolitan London is would saying parts of Cork are more British be really that much of a stretch?

Having said that it's not a clear cut issue anyway, there were people celebrating the defeats of Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan in last year's Olympics because they had the temerity to box for Ireland despite the rules in place that didn't allow them to box for team GB.
    No I just don't think you could call Cork city/county British in any capacity ...Its just not and go two miles west of Bandon and you are into traditional west Cork guerrilla country.

Don't think Conlan/Barnes would particularly care, they are now enshrined in Irish sporting history forever, no one can ever take that away from them.
    Forum Member
    It actually must be quiet baffling for you to be asked to explain your Irishness when you were born and bred in Ireland?

I know. You can't really write "just me"
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, I agree it's a lot in the way you were brought up. This would mostly be the case for me too (except with me it's obviously things geared towards Britain)

I won't pretend I 'get' you any further than that though :p

thanks for answering though

ps. whereabouts are you from?

Belfast
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supposedly yes! I don't personally know any Irish citizens who have ever bothered though...but Irish citizens CAN for instance go to London and claim British welfare benefits! I mean they always could, even before the EU :D

Which is where the "Kilburn Irish" have come from :p
    I need to be British citizen to apply for lots of jobs in the UK ... look needs be in recessionary times :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I just don't think you could call Cork city/county British in any capacity ...Its just not and go two miles west of Bandon and you are into traditional west Cork guerrilla country.

Don't think Conlan/Barnes would particularly care, they are now enshrined in Irish sporting history forever, no one can ever take that away from them.

why are corkonians called "westbrits" then?
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the tabloids insist they are 'girls'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    why are corkonians called "westbrits" then?
    That's the Dubs/Wexford natives mate not us fine folk in the rebel county ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to be British citizen to apply for lots of jobs in the UK ...

Be interesting to know if under EU laws they CAN actually say that...!