The purpose of friends

2»

Comments

• Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    I'll rephrase that then. Then don't pass judgement and neither do I with them.

Maybe I am more lucky with my friends than you are :p
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    I think if you are wondering what is the 'Purpose' of your friends. then they are not friends.
    1fab wrote: »
    I can't see the point of a friendship that makes you miserable. Better to be alone than in bad company, surely.

Well, yes, I've wondered that.

This is one group of friends, people I've been friends with for over 10 years. I have other friends who don't make me feel crap about myself.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Humans have evolved to be social animals... we tend to prefer the company of others. We learn from each other, feel secure with each other, help each other out, problem solve together, protect each other against potential preditors etc.. Much more successful a life than that of the solitary panda - its extremely anti-social and the result is imminent extinction
    I always remember my Social Studies class at school, which had a poster above the blackboard that read 'Man is gregarious' :)

I've always been happy with my own company but I also love talking to people. Although I was content for the 6 years after my divorce when the only people I saw were my daughter and my parents. I ended up on DS and made a few really good friends who, whilst we only get to see each other a few times a year, I talk to every week on Skype. I didn't realise what a wonderful addition they would be to my life. Now, having a couple of people who care about how my day/week/month has gone and about whose life I care too, with whom I can discuss what's been on TV, a film I saw, etc., it makes me feel more than just content :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I have family members who make me feel crap about myself, that's why I rarely see them. If any friends did the same, I'd cut them off dead. Friends are supposed to lift you up, be a shoulder to cry on and someone to have fun with. At least, that's what they are supposed to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I have family members who make me feel crap about myself, that's why I rarely see them. If any friends did the same, I'd cut them off dead. Friends are supposed to lift you up, be a shoulder to cry on and someone to have fun with. At least, that's what they are supposed to do.

Same here (regarding family members). To me friendship is about being with people who you feel comfortable with and with whom you can share the same values/jokes and who understand you, but it has to be a two way thing.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Victoria, I think we have the same friends :)
    I think we are very fortunate to have them! I read on here often about people not having any friends. I find that really sad and it makes me feel more grateful to have such an amazing group of friends.