Options

Well done Corrie! (ADHD PLOT)

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I don't know about the figures for autism unfortunately,

But for ADHD....it is still massively unrecognised.......in the UK only 1 in 10 adults who have ADHD have been diagnosed...the rest are struggling with life......unknowingly.....and untreated.....

In the UK, the number of children with ADHD who have been diagnosed is only 1 in 4...

and of those that have, there is high undertreatment
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Bullying is a social issue, too, but that was, it seems, solely introduced, and briefly, as a lead in to Tina's befriending Simon. Just as this "ADHD plot" is to lead in to the actress portraying Kylie having a break from the programme for a while.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Excellent comments. Soaps don't usually "tackle" such issues. They use them for cheap plot twists. Then when they are finished, there is no history and even the characters seem unaware that they existed.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Excellent comments. Soaps don't usually "tackle" such issues. They use them for cheap plot twists. Then when they are finished, there is no history and even the characters seem unaware that they existed.

Hear, hear
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Janet Plank;73767449]Doctors and psychiatrists are still divided in their opinion on whether ADHD is a genuine condition or just bad parenting. It will be interesting to see how this is portrayed in Coronation Street. The boy who plays Max is a good actor, so I think he can handle the story.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree with this statement BIB. I've seen so many children over the years with this ADHD label who are simply allowed to behave badly with no sanctions or parameters. Their upbringing begins from the earliest times and is a continual training (or in this case lack of training) . It takes years to make a kid ill disciplined but a lot of parents are very good at it..eg laughing at kids misbehaviour (they won't be laughing when they're 16 doing bad stuff.)
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    No he isn't. He's a plank.
    I wish I could claim him as one of my family, Fadge1968 !!!
  • Options
    leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ADHD is an excuse for bad parenting. Funny how parents are more lenient these days and ADHD diagnoses have gone up. Give them a slap and they'll soon behave. Also goes for junk and sweets they eat
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Hear, hear
    So true. David Platt's disappearing epilepsy, which was brought in to get him off a dangerous driving charge and then forgotten. Tracy Barlow's kidney replacement; she appears to have no ongoing health problems which I understand is the case with transplants, and she would be having regular medication, health checks etc. Kerry, man, in Emmerdale has diabetes when she wants sympathy, other than that her diet consists of cake and alcohol. Sandy, Ashley's dad in Emmerdale, was so old and infirm that he used to wet the bed waiting for someone to help him get up, and he needed 24 hr. care. Now he is buzzing around the village like a two year old.
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    Is it, is it really?

Led a sheltered life then.

No I really haven't actually I've seen some horrific things and had some horrible experiences ( as much as I've seen great and amazing things) I. Both my personal and professional life
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    I wish I could claim him as one of my family, Fadge1968 !!!

Whoa, hold the phone !!!!!!!!! I do the jokes, JP. Comprenez ?
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Bullying is a social issue, too, but that was, it seems, solely introduced, and briefly, as a lead in to Tina's befriending Simon. Just as this "ADHD plot" is to lead in to the actress portraying Kylie having a break from the programme for a while.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thank you.

scone wrote: »
    Hear, hear

So true. David Platt's disappearing epilepsy, which was brought in to get him off a dangerous driving charge and then forgotten. Tracy Barlow's kidney replacement; she appears to have no ongoing health problems which I understand is the case with transplants, and she would be having regular medication, health checks etc. Kerry, man, in Emmerdale has diabetes when she wants sympathy, other than that her diet consists of cake and alcohol. Sandy, Ashley's dad in Emmerdale, was so old and infirm that he used to wet the bed waiting for someone to help him get up, and he needed 24 hr. care. Now he is buzzing around the village like a two year old.

Yes.